EDIT: Reolink RETURNED! Ordered Reolink System. Good setup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well MAX budget was about 400 cad which i can stretch to 500.

A friend has an even lower budget and wants this 2K Reolink setup.

I can order the 4K reolink setup (4x 8MP bullet cams and nvr with wiring) for 500cad (about 367Usd) and this is my ABSOLUTE max budget for a 4 cam setup I need.

Watched some reviews and YouTube videos and it seems very good for the price. I cannot find any other 4cam nvr system that is 4K and good enough quality at $367USDish.

I understand some of you want to bash me for buying Reolink but I AM ALL EARS if you have ANY alternative for a 4cam NVR setup at this budget. Just keep it mind it cannot exceed 500cad (367usd) and has to include 4 cams and have NVR.
The alternative is not to buy anything. You flushed what little money you have down the toilet. If your budget is so low you have nothing to protect. Buy an alarm system before cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well microSD is an even worse solution in terms of $ / capacity. Don't want/have a PC to run it non stop.
I tested the reolink NVR and mobile app. It seems to work flawlessly.
I opened it up and the 2TB harddrive is even proper surveillance grade (Seagate Skyhawk Lite)
You will soon learn. But apparently you are the expert.

Reaction score
Let's see. $317 budget. A challenge!

i3-i5 ebay computer with windows 10 installed: $75
blue iris software: $60
2TB western digital purple: $64 (could drop it down to $35 for 1TB no-name hard drive)
each IPC-HDW4433C-A turret camera: $60
I am at $250 for 1 camera (excluding patch cords to each camera which you could make yourself for 5 cents a foot). $310 for 2 camera's. You would only need 1 or 2 camera's to keep eye on vehicles.
windows pc + blue iris is the best route as you can add camera's later as you can afford. And gives you super upgradability for future additions. ok...maybe the 4433C-A is a crappy camera (reviews are here on IPCT). How would the 4433C-A stand up to a Reolink camera? Dunno's.

Or....
Dahua NVR $149
Same $$ for hard drives above: $64
Same camera above: $60
For single camera: $275 system

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand some of you want to bash me for buying Reolink
No one wants to bash you for buying Reolink. However, you came here seeking opinions on that system and everyone who answers tells you it is a poor system, but you argue back. That is why people here are being short with you, not because you made an uninformed decision to buy a Reolink system.

So it seems that you REALLY came here for validation, not help. There is the Cliff Notes here that you should read. There is also @EMPIRETECANDY that others have stated could probably get you a decent Dahua NVR system for low dollars and you should explain your situation to him via email and see what he can do for you. His email is kingsecurity2014@163.com and is very responsive. While I am not in Canada, am in Texas, I have bought 19 cameras from him over a period of 2 years and have found him to be quick, fair, and give great prices to IPCAMTALK members.

I was in your situation a few years ago, needing a camera system. But was too uninformed to make the purchase. Then I found this place and stayed away from those budget systems.

You came here because your "...car got smashed at night..." and you feel you need cameras. OK, realize that cameras will NOT prevent that from happening. They only RECORD what happened. At night, with a budget set of cams, you will probably be able to see what happened. BUT, you will never be able to identify the perp who did it. About the only way that will happen is if you have enough white light that makes the area like it is daytime.

Please, prior to installing this system, set up one cam in a test rig and see if you can ID your own face or a friends face while they are walking around your car AT NIGHT. Realize that perps do not stand still and pose for cams. They usually do not look towards them and are always moving. That does not mean walking or running, but their heads are constantly moving which in low light causes blur in poor cams. Read the Cliff Notes!

There is nothing more frustrating than having your stuff violated but having cams catch the action and the video is so poor that the perp cannot be IDed, or even clothing described.

A while ago there were several cars in our hood that had stuff taken from- door checkers- go around trying car door to see if they are unlocked. A guy a few streets over had his pickup rummaged around in and had some stuff stolen. He had a budget system that he had convinced his wife was important to buy. They got really good blurry, high MP count, video of the guy/girl rummaging in his truck. But not even a description of the clothing. His wife was pissed! "You spent hundreds of dollars on this sh*t and can't even tell if it was a guy or girl!". I caught a decent pick of the guy in my driveway that was used by the police to ID the perp and make an arrest. See below.

4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg

This is a snapshot out of BlueIris from the video. He was constantly moving his head scanning for cars coming down the road. Did not get anything from me as my Jeep was locked.

Reaction score
I purchased at least 5 refurbished cameras from, @empirtecandy. They work just as well as brand new, but half the price. Which is what i like the best. i get expensive cams at budget prices. He also has refurbished nvr's but i run blue iris on a computer so i never asked for a price quote on any NVR. Just send him an email and ask him to send you a refurbished camera NVR list. Good luck.

Reaction score
I purchased at least 5 refurbished cameras from, @empirtecandy. They work just as well as brand new, but half the price. Which is what i like the best. i get expensive cams at budget prices. He also has refurbished nvr's but i run blue iris on a computer so i never asked for a price quote on any NVR. Just send him an email and ask him to send you a refurbished camera NVR list. Good luck.
refurbished? never thought about that pathway. that's a good idea!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well MAX budget was about 400 cad which i can stretch to 500.

A friend has an even lower budget and wants this 2K Reolink setup.

I can order the 4K reolink setup (4x 8MP bullet cams and nvr with wiring) for 500cad (about 367Usd) and this is my ABSOLUTE max budget for a 4 cam setup I need.

Watched some reviews and YouTube videos and it seems very good for the price. I cannot find any other 4cam nvr system that is 4K and good enough quality at $367USDish.

I understand some of you want to bash me for buying Reolink but I AM ALL EARS if you have ANY alternative for a 4cam NVR setup at this budget. Just keep it mind it cannot exceed 500cad (367usd) and has to include 4 cams and have NVR.
Hi @Warptrooper

Have you bench tested this yet?

Here's what you need to do:
"Please, prior to installing this system, set up one cam in a test rig and see if you can ID your own face or a friends face while they are walking around your car AT NIGHT. Realize that perps do not stand still and pose for cams. They usually do not look towards them and are always moving. That does not mean walking or running, but their heads are constantly moving which in low light causes blur in poor cams. Read the Cliff Notes!

There is nothing more frustrating than having your stuff violated but having cams catch the action and the video is so poor that the perp cannot be IDed, or even clothing described." -
samplenhold

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 64192

This is a snapshot out of BlueIris from the video. He was constantly moving his head scanning for cars coming down the road. Did not get anything from me as my Jeep was locked.
Nice shot, man.
Just curious...what's your reason in this instance for having the driver's side (and maybe the pasenger's side) mirror(s) rotated in?
I know I would do it to my truck when pulling into the garage so folks wouldn't crash their shoulder into it ( or kids their heads).

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok thanks EVERYONE for the responses. Didn't expect so many. I have returned the Reolink system. After seeing responses and doing more research, I've decided to go for Starlight/Colorvu (or whatever is good at night vision in color).

Here is stuff I have on hand as spare parts:

• i3 8100 Quadcore
  • Z-370 Prime mobo
  • 12 GB mismatched but working DDR4
  • Bunch of seasonic PSUs
  • 2x WD Red 3TB

Now I am open to building a BlueIris machine OR buying a DVR.

Problem is, I am in Canada and I cannot figure out what to buy and from where! Especially the cameras.

Can someone advise? Thanks.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Warptrooper

Have you bench tested this yet?

Here's what you need to do:
"Please, prior to installing this system, set up one cam in a test rig and see if you can ID your own face or a friends face while they are walking around your car AT NIGHT. Realize that perps do not stand still and pose for cams. They usually do not look towards them and are always moving. That does not mean walking or running, but their heads are constantly moving which in low light causes blur in poor cams. Read the Cliff Notes!

There is nothing more frustrating than having your stuff violated but having cams catch the action and the video is so poor that the perp cannot be IDed, or even clothing described." -
samplenhold
Honestly i have not but I realized how good color night vision cams are so black/white makes no sense anymore. Why i returned reolink.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No one wants to bash you for buying Reolink. However, you came here seeking opinions on that system and everyone who answers tells you it is a poor system, but you argue back. That is why people here are being short with you, not because you made an uninformed decision to buy a Reolink system.

So it seems that you REALLY came here for validation, not help. There is the Cliff Notes here that you should read. There is also @EMPIRETECANDY that others have stated could probably get you a decent Dahua NVR system for low dollars and you should explain your situation to him via email and see what he can do for you. His email is kingsecurity2014@163.com and is very responsive. While I am not in Canada, am in Texas, I have bought 19 cameras from him over a period of 2 years and have found him to be quick, fair, and give great prices to IPCAMTALK members.

I was in your situation a few years ago, needing a camera system. But was too uninformed to make the purchase. Then I found this place and stayed away from those budget systems.

You came here because your "...car got smashed at night..." and you feel you need cameras. OK, realize that cameras will NOT prevent that from happening. They only RECORD what happened. At night, with a budget set of cams, you will probably be able to see what happened. BUT, you will never be able to identify the perp who did it. About the only way that will happen is if you have enough white light that makes the area like it is daytime.

Please, prior to installing this system, set up one cam in a test rig and see if you can ID your own face or a friends face while they are walking around your car AT NIGHT. Realize that perps do not stand still and pose for cams. They usually do not look towards them and are always moving. That does not mean walking or running, but their heads are constantly moving which in low light causes blur in poor cams. Read the Cliff Notes!

There is nothing more frustrating than having your stuff violated but having cams catch the action and the video is so poor that the perp cannot be IDed, or even clothing described.

A while ago there were several cars in our hood that had stuff taken from- door checkers- go around trying car door to see if they are unlocked. A guy a few streets over had his pickup rummaged around in and had some stuff stolen. He had a budget system that he had convinced his wife was important to buy. They got really good blurry, high MP count, video of the guy/girl rummaging in his truck. But not even a description of the clothing. His wife was pissed! "You spent hundreds of dollars on this sh*t and can't even tell if it was a guy or girl!". I caught a decent pick of the guy in my driveway that was used by the police to ID the perp and make an arrest. See below.

View attachment 64192

Wow amazing shot. What cameras do you have and which one was that shot on ?

Also I've already shipped the reolink back xD

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you recognize the limitations during the return period!

Nothing beats a good color image at night. B/W you cannot tell the person's skin color or clothing color.

@EMPIRETECANDY can hook you up with all your needs!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks EVERYONE for the responses. Didn't expect so many. I have returned the Reolink system. After seeing responses and doing more research, I've decided to go for Starlight/Colorvu (or whatever is good at night vision in color).

Here is stuff I have on hand as spare parts:

• i3 8100 Quadcore
  • Z-370 Prime mobo
  • 12 GB mismatched but working DDR4
  • Bunch of seasonic PSUs
  • 2x WD Red 3TB

Now I am open to building a BlueIris machine OR buying a DVR.

Problem is, I am in Canada and I cannot figure out what to buy and from where! Especially the cameras.

Can someone advise? Thanks.
Hi Warptrooper

Finish up the PC, put windows on it and Blue Iris. Most of us like to use an SSD for the OS. ( or buy a used business class PC w/windows already on it )

Get a small PoE switch ( we should have a list for switches - use the search here on the site and try "list switches" or something along those lines .. )

Get one Dahua OEM starlight+ 4MP varifocal camera from Andy.. see what he has that are returned, perhaps he has a good deal one one. And start to learn what works well. Use that to watch your car. If you need a few more cameras you can add them one you get the hang of this.

Reaction score
what's your reason in this instance for having the driver's side (and maybe the pasenger's side) mirror(s) rotated in?
They both come in with a push of a button. I always bring them in so that they are not in the way. My wife's car gets the garage, so when backing it out it gives a little more clearance. On the pass side I am pulled pretty close to the garden and if I have to walk by that side I get a little more room.

Reaction score
Wow amazing shot. What cameras do you have and which one was that shot on ?
I have Dahuas. Nineteen cams of ten different models. Each one chosen for the particular job that was needed in that position.

That is a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Which is a 1/2.8" 2MP varifocal. It is set at about 7mm FOV. This was considered the top dog when I got it back in 2018. I am replacing it with the IPC-T5442TM-AS in 6mm FOV. That is the latest top dog with a 1/1.8" 4MP.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
Hi Warptrooper

Finish up the PC, put windows on it and Blue Iris. Most of us like to use an SSD for the OS. ( or buy a used business class PC w/windows already on it )

Get a small PoE switch ( we should have a list for switches - use the search here on the site and try "list switches" or something along those lines .. )

Get one Dahua OEM starlight+ 4MP varifocal camera from Andy.. see what he has that are returned, perhaps he has a good deal one one. And start to learn what works well. Use that to watch your car. If you need a few more cameras you can add them one you get the hang of this.
Why varifocal and how much of a premium is that usually?