FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
UPDATE: 2023 and the Lorex cameras out now have smaller sensors .. I was hoping they would keep coming out with better models for low light in the kits.

FYI - Been on the fence about posting this here as I know many of us really like the hobby and control of customizing our security camera setups and picking appropriate cameras for our needs. That said, had I not previously purchased a NVR and cameras I would have picked this up and added 2 Dahua starlight turrets or bullets and saved some money. I'm posting it here for those who maybe on a tighter budget than I had and are looking for a decent compromise today (imho).

Lorex Kit Model number: LNR6826K - $800
1x 8 port POE NVR. rated for 4K cameras w/2TB HDD - ( LNR6100 / LNR6108 )
6x 4K 4mm lens 88 deg FOV POE outdoor rated cameras - ( LNB8005 )
thus 2 ports remain available for additional cameras!

The 4K 4mm lens 88 degree cameras look like the other Dahua square bullet line and while the specs are different than the Dahua IPC-HFW4830E-S they share a number of similarities. 15 fps at 4K, DWDR.

Note the 4K cameras will perform well in day time conditions and worse than the Dahua starlight line in low light conditions. ( note the picture below is a part of their rotating on-screen marketing material - and will not accurately reflect the night time image - expect it to be darker unless you have additional good light and/or IR illumination )

I calculated the ID distance for the cameras to be 25 feet ( naturally under low light conditions this will dramatically decrease )

Good thing about Costco is a great return policy ( at least 90 days, and perhaps even 1 year )

Note, when I originally posted this deal I could not find anyone selling the NVR nor Camera models in the kit. Since then a number of people have started to resell this kit in whole or in part on ebay.

More detailed info here:
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99 07-28-2017

IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing can outperform Starlight series at this time. However, for the price, it does seem to be well-price, but this is YMMV. Not all Costco stores have this set in stock.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - number of reports of people still finding this kit at local Costco B&Ms. Not all Costco's have it, some do.

liuping

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - number of reports of people still finding this kit at local Costco B&Ms. Not all Costco's have it, some do.
My local CostCo (Carlsbad, CA) said they have them on order and would be getting them in anyway now. So they might just be showing up in some locations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My local CostCo (Carlsbad, CA) said they have them on order and would be getting them in anyway now. So they might just be showing up in some locations.
My local costco got a resupply of them also.

daveav

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - Been on the fence about posting this here as I know many of us really like the hobby and control of customizing our security camera setups and picking appropriate cameras for our needs. That said, had I not previously purchased a NVR and cameras I would have picked this up and added 2 Dahua starlight turrets or bullets and saved some money. I'm posting it here for those who maybe on a tighter budget than I had and are looking for a decent compromise today (imho).

Lorex Kit Model number: LNR6826K - $800
1x 8 port POE NVR. rated for 4K cameras w/2TB HDD - ( LNR6100 / LNR6108 )
6x 4K 4mm lens 88 deg FOV POE outdoor rated cameras - ( LNB8005 )
thus 2 ports remain available for additional cameras!

The 4K 4mm lens 88 degree cameras look like the other Dahua square bullet line and while the specs are different than the Dahua IPC-HFW4830E-S they share a number of similarities. 15 fps at 4K, DWDR.

Note the 4K cameras will perform well in day time conditions and worse than the Dahua starlight line in low light conditions. ( note the picture below is a part of their rotating on-screen marketing material - and will not accurately reflect the night time image - expect it to be darker unless you have additional good light and/or IR illumination )

I calculated the ID distance for the cameras to be 25 feet ( naturally under low light conditions this will dramatically decrease )

Good thing about Costco is a great return policy ( at least 90 days, and perhaps even 1 year )

Note, when I originally posted this deal I could not find anyone selling the NVR nor Camera models in the kit. Since then a number of people have started to resell this kit in whole or in part on ebay.

More detailed info here:
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99 07-28-2017

View attachment 20849
Hi Mat,
thanks for posting this. I was wondering whether if it worth to upgrade from 8 2k 3mp to 8mp 4k cameras. thoughts?
Also,
Would any CAT5e cable work for the Lorex cameras?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat,
thanks for posting this. I was wondering whether if it worth to upgrade from 8 3mp to 8mp 4k cameras. thoughts?
Also,
Would any CAT5e cable work for the Lorex cameras?
Hi Dave,

1) Yes I think it is worth it to upgrade in locations which you need longer ID ranges.
Please take a look at the ID distance I have calculated - I will bold and underline some samples for you to look at - please see below.

Remember for low light the Dahua Starlight turrets are the ones to get - so for locations which have poor light I like to put the starlight turret.

2) Yes cat5e will work.

ID spec distance and associated area max covered calculations ( 100ppf+ ):
Lorex LNB8005 4K camera 4mm lens 88 degrees: 25.0 feet [ this is actually very good for a camera with this wide angle lens, note the range will be reduced in low light conditions. ]

This is the theoretical max based on raw pixels from the horizontal resolution and the FOV.
Actual real world results will be decreased due to the quality of the camera ( glass vs plastic lens, compression quality, sw/firmware,... ), installation view, as well as environmental conditions ( low light, haze, fog, glare off snow, water rain,.. ).

Practical meaning: Place your cameras in such a manner that any suspect / subject you wish to potentially ID is within this ID spec distance, as well as in a placement which will give you a high likelihood of obtaining a good facial image ( mount camera 8 feet or less high ).

compare to:
[ cut out a bunch of 720p and 1080p cameras ]

LaView 2MP bullet camera ( from kit LV-KNT91F84E2 ) 4mm lens 1080p at 83.6 degree: 13.16 feet { 126.28 sq feet covered }
LaView 2MP bullet camera (LV-PB932F4) 1080p 79 degree: 13.9 feet { 133.13 sq feet covered }
LaView 4MP Dome (LV-PD504028) 2688x1520 90 Degrees: 17.12 feet { 230.08 sq feet covered }
LaView 4MP bullet camera (LV-PB3040W) 2688 x 1520 79 Degree:19.5 feet { 262.0 sq feet covered }
LaView 4MP bullet camera (LV-PB3040W) 4mm lens 2688x1520 70 Degrees: 22.01 feet { 295.78 sq feet covered }

Qsee 3MP IP Bullet Camera (QTN8037B) 2048x1536 65°-70° ( using 70 degrees ): 16.77 feet { 171.7 sq feet covered }
Qsee 4MP IP Bullet Cameras (QCN8026B) 3.6mm lens 2560 x 1440 84° : 17.47 feet { 223.61 sq feet covered }

Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I 3MP EXIR Turret IP Cam 2048 x 1536 w/4mm lens 75.8° : 15.49 feet { 158.64 sq feet covered }

Lorex 2MP / 1080p camera at 90 degrees: 12.23 feet { 117.4 sq feet covered }
Lorex 3MP camera at 75 degrees: 15.65 feet { 160.22 sq feet covered }
Lorex 2K / 4MP cameras at 83 degrees: 18.56 feet { 249.38 sq feet covered }
Lorex 2k / 4MP cameras 2688×1520 at 101 degrees ( like the bullet LKB343B or dome LKE343 in a lorex kit from costco online ): 17.12 feet { 258.2 sq feet covered }

Lorex LNB8005 / LNB8111B 4K (8MP) as well as Dahua IPC-HFW4830E-S 4K camera 4mm lens 88 degrees: 25.0 feet { 479.7 sq feet covered max }

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Costco is still getting more of these..

I have one now and haven't had much time to work with it since I'm focusing on getting it secure with a VPN, but for the few minutes I've spent with it it is decent. I'm disappointed with the zoom (can't see license plates) even though an online placement tool made it seem like it should work. I haven't had time to adjust a lot of settings yet. I'm finding the interface a little confusing, but I think I'll be able to learn it in time.

I'll try to come back here and post another update after I have more time with it.

Overall, I'm glad I got this system. I should be able to go in more detail after I use it some more.

Thank you mat200 and forum management for having this great resource available!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Costco is still getting more of these..

I have one now and haven't had much time to work with it since I'm focusing on getting it secure with a VPN, but for the few minutes I've spent with it it is decent. I'm disappointed with the zoom (can't see license plates) even though an online placement tool made it seem like it should work. I haven't had time to adjust a lot of settings yet. I'm finding the interface a little confusing, but I think I'll be able to learn it in time.

I'll try to come back here and post another update after I have more time with it.

Overall, I'm glad I got this system. I should be able to go in more detail after I use it some more.

Thank you mat200 and forum management for having this great resource available!
Thanks scquestions,

Happy to help out and share what I have been learning here.

Definitely look at the option of getting a couple of starlights to augment the kit.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks scquestions,

Happy to help out and share what I have been learning here.

Definitely look at the option of getting a couple of starlights to augment the kit.
I'll check them out. Thanks!

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been able to spend a little more time with this system.

By using the default settings, it's looking nice except for trying to see the license plates. If the car is really close to the camera it might pick it up. I haven't figured out how to change the shutter speed within the NVR. And It's not as user friendly as I'd expect. I'm trying to figure out whether to left click, right click, double click, etc. I'm often finding myself just randomly clicking and it'll end back up on the live screen. And when it is on the live screen sometimes certain cameras will show black as if they're not even connected. I think it's an issue with the NVR rather than the actual cameras because I'll start to randomly click and they'll come back on. It's really weird. There has also been a message that has come up about it not being able to decode. I'm not sure what that means exactly but it'll go away and continue to work fine.

I haven't found a way to enter an exact day and time and get it to jump to that. Also the smart search feature doesn't work as good as I'd like it to. I'd like it to know if there is a person within a certain area but it's coming up with any movement, including shadows of cars driving by.

The bookmarking feature is nice. And it looks like it's going to be easy to transfer footage to a flash drive. I'm planning on working with that sometime soon.

The fan noise is a little loud like it has been reported but it doesn't bother me personally. If someone would like to sleep in silence this might not be the best NVR. I've read about people replacing the fan but I wouldn't want to do that..

Overall, I'm really liking the cameras, just not the NVR interface. I'm trying to keep costs down, otherwise I might have went with Blue Iris.

Hopefully somebody will find this helpful!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI SC,

Yes, the NVR OSD interface takes some time to get used to.

The "not being able to decode" error imho is when the system is attempting to somehow displace more video streams to the viewing monitor than it can decode.

Also try the webinterface.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI SC,

Yes, the NVR OSD interface takes some time to get used to.

The "not being able to decode" error imho is when the system is attempting to somehow displace more video streams to the viewing monitor than it can decode.

Also try the webinterface.
I'm trying to be patient with the interface. Hopefully in time I'll understand it more.

I still don't understand the decode thing but it's not a big deal I guess. I have four cameras plugged in an eight channel NVR to an HDTV using HDMI. I don't understand why it wouldn't be able to handle that.

How do you go about getting to the web interface? I did a search and only found the Lorex apps (Android, iOS, Windows, etc). I didn't see another way to access the system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to be patient with the interface. Hopefully in time I'll understand it more.

I still don't understand the decode thing but it's not a big deal I guess. I have four cameras plugged in an eight channel NVR to an HDTV using HDMI. I don't understand why it wouldn't be able to handle that.
Hi SC

Have patience and read as much as you can on the related topics here. The quality of the video you're getting is well worth the time learning the interface.

4x 4K cameras attempting to feed it to your monitor .. do you have a 4k monitor attached? or a 1080p monitor?

Anyway you look at it there is some significant processing work that it is attempting to do to display the live views that's iirc where you sometimes see that error. I don't think the error is something which affects the actual recording, only your live view or current display attempts.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi SC

Have patience and read as much as you can on the related topics here. The quality of the video you're getting is well worth the time learning the interface.

4x 4K cameras attempting to feed it to your monitor .. do you have a 4k monitor attached? or a 1080p monitor?

Anyway you look at it there is some significant processing work that it is attempting to do to display the live views that's iirc where you sometimes see that error. I don't think the error is something which affects the actual recording, only your live view or current display attempts.
It's a 1080p TV, but now that you mention it I did change the resolution on the NVR for the display to 720p because it made it larger and easier to read. Maybe that messed it up? I didn't think that'd make a difference with the actual NVR but maybe more work is done behind the scenes than I realized.

And maybe this is why some of the cameras will appear black.. I'll randomly click and they'll come back. Maybe I need to change the display settings within the NVR back to 1080p. It's just harder to see because of my distance from the TV. I wonder if there's a zoom feature that I missed to increase the whole size of the interface.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a 1080p TV, but now that you mention it I did change the resolution on the NVR for the display to 720p because it made it larger and easier to read. Maybe that messed it up? I didn't think that'd make a difference with the actual NVR but maybe more work is done behind the scenes than I realized.

And maybe this is why some of the cameras will appear black.. I'll randomly click and they'll come back. Maybe I need to change the display settings within the NVR back to 1080p. It's just harder to see because of my distance from the TV. I wonder if there's a zoom feature that I missed to increase the whole size of the interface.
Hi scquestions,

These NVRs are low electrical powered devices - surprising taking a LOT less power than my PC - and thus we have to remember that we shouldn't be comparing them to our experiences with equipment which is more expensive ( like my i7 PC ).

For me the primary goal is an "affordable" system which gets video 24x7 which will potentially allow me to ID suspects if needed. ( affordable is of course relative )

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi scquestions,

These NVRs are low electrical powered devices - surprising taking a LOT less power than my PC - and thus we have to remember that we shouldn't be comparing them to our experiences with equipment which is more expensive ( like my i7 PC ).

For me the primary goal is an "affordable" system which gets video 24x7 which will potentially allow me to ID suspects if needed. ( affordable is of course relative )
I'll try not to expect too much from it then. It's good enough. I just need to learn how to adjust the settings for the best picture possible, but that might take time.

Thanks again for your help.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I've discovered a problem..

I mentioned previously that some of the cameras would go black and that I'd randomly click and they'd eventually appear again. Well, I'm thinking that it coming back on was not a result of randomly clicking, and was just a coincidence, because I've been checking and there is a lot of missing footage. It is supposed to be recording constantly by default, but there are a lot of gaps. It appears to be completely random, both with the length of the gap and with the camera that is missing footage.

I've also seen cars driving and completely disappear.

There's definitely something wrong here. I'm just not sure what it is. Hopefully it's not the cabling.

Any ideas?