G'day from Brisbane / Ipswich Down Under

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Been interested in security cameras for a long time, but have only recently needed to learn anything about them while trying to help out my sister secure their second house.

I've heard that the email support is questionable even if you have top tier support (not that I want to go down that route).

Before I commit to buying the Blue Iris software I just wanted to gauge community support for the software since it seems to be amongst the better software out there.

I am just very wary about buying software with no support, when I know next to nothing about the subject. I am hoping to find some knowledgeable people here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
G'day, welcome to IPCT!
Blue Iris is fantastic.
You probably will never need to contact support, all the information you need is in the help files, release information or can be asked in these forums.

I answered a post in BI forums about support response time, post has not been approved. That was possibly your post?
The old BI forums were lost a few months back, so things are a little slower over there than usual.
Generally support response times are good, but you should use the email support button within the BI. This will copy information, so that you can included it in your email. This saves time for everyone and you get speedy responses.
support.png

As for you pending build. All your questions can be answered in these forums.

I should also add the standard welcome to the forum message.
Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Goodluck :)

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome, I am looking forward to discovering a whole new world that is IP cameras / security. To some degree I am hoping to apply the knowledge I learn to my setup one day when I build my new house. I have already embarked on the IoT and home automation journey, it will be interesting to see how I can incorporate what I learn here about cameras into that environment.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome! I spent a summer (your winter) at UQ in Gatton, and ventured to Brizzy and Ipswich a time or two. Very fond memories for me in that part of the world.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have already embarked on the IoT and home automation journey, it will be interesting to see how I can incorporate what I learn here about cameras into that environment.
Not sure which home automation system you have, but some have Blue Iris plug-ins available which can make triggering HA actions based on BI events pretty easy.

I really really really like Blue Iris... probably the best money I've ever spent for any software. BI comes from a "one man" company -- Ken. He's the developer, he's the main tech support guy, he runs the forums, etc. There are times when folks post about not being happy with support email time. The two times I emailed BI support, Ken got back to me within a day or so, which I didn't find unreasonable. I know others have had different experiences. I guess it all depends on what the workload is for him at that time. 99% of the answers I've needed have come from the community here.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:iloveipct:
-----------------------------------
The Perspective software the developer of Blue Iris software is one person. So response time to support question is slow. Unless it is a true bug, then the response time for a fix in a release is way faster than most companies.

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-ip-cam-talk-4-mp-ir-fixed-turret-network-camera.36011/
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Perspective software the developer of Blue Iris software is one person. So response time to support question is slow. Unless it is a true bug, then the response time for a fix in a release is way faster than most companies.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Cameras to look at
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Test do not guess

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome! I spent a summer (your winter) at UQ in Gatton, and ventured to Brizzy and Ipswich a time or two. Very fond memories for me in that part of the world.
I grew up not far from Gatton on an estate called Lockyer Waters (other side of Atkinson Dam), my brother has lived in Gatton most of his life, while the rest of the family are spread out from Toowoomba to the Sunshine Coast. I bought a 1600sqm property in the heart of Ipswich which we plan to build on one day.

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure which home automation system you have, but some have Blue Iris plug-ins available which can make triggering HA actions based on BI events pretty easy.

I really really really like Blue Iris... probably the best money I've ever spent for any software. BI comes from a "one man" company -- Ken. He's the developer, he's the main tech support guy, he runs the forums, etc. There are times when folks post about not being happy with support email time. The two times I emailed BI support, Ken got back to me within a day or so, which I didn't find unreasonable. I know others have had different experiences. I guess it all depends on what the workload is for him at that time. 99% of the answers I've needed have come from the community here.
I don't necessarily need a response from Ken if others have the answers here. The membership seems to be a lot bigger here than on the official forum, but as long as there are knowledgeable people to put me on the straight and narrow, I'm not too proud to take help from anyone.

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.

Cameras to look at
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Test do not guess
Sounds like some good advice...
1) looking to use DS-2CD2385G1-I which are a replacement for the superseded DS-2CD2325FWD-I on the new cameras.
2) plan to
3) We have an area that overlooks the pool and their jetty / pontoon. I was planning to use 2 WiFi cameras to cover this area, is there a way to improve camera security? Is just really hard to get an Ethernet cable to this area.
4) Nope don't like cloud anything
5) Ok
6) bit late but Ok
7) The only place we could see to buy this specific model was through eBay, all the retail stores are offering the older model. We have noticed some are listed as OEM and are in a brown box, whereas for about $150 more you can get what appears to be a retail box. Understand that even the retail box can be reproduced, but hoping it might be the real thing. Problem over here is that most retail stores are still going to buy off eBay anyway.
8) Ok
9) all are turret cameras
10) using solid core cat 6
11) We are trying to fix up a bad install (all mounted up high on second story) the additional cameras we are adding are all going to be on ground level. Some of the placements are going to be fixed since getting cables between the floors is a real issue. Have tried to stand back from where the cameras are go in to make sure we have the best possible position.
12) Good on this one
13) Yep
14) Unfortunately camera placement is pretty fixed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy

@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Kingsecurity2018 @ Amazon.com:

Another shout-out to Andy and EmpireTech

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like some good advice...
1) looking to use DS-2CD2385G1-I which are a replacement for the superseded DS-2CD2325FWD-I on the new cameras.
2) plan to
3) We have an area that overlooks the pool and their jetty / pontoon. I was planning to use 2 WiFi cameras to cover this area, is there a way to improve camera security? Is just really hard to get an Ethernet cable to this area.
4) Nope don't like cloud anything
5) Ok
6) bit late but Ok
7) The only place we could see to buy this specific model was through eBay, all the retail stores are offering the older model. We have noticed some are listed as OEM and are in a brown box, whereas for about $150 more you can get what appears to be a retail box. Understand that even the retail box can be reproduced, but hoping it might be the real thing. Problem over here is that most retail stores are still going to buy off eBay anyway.
8) Ok
9) all are turret cameras
10) using solid core cat 6
11) We are trying to fix up a bad install (all mounted up high on second story) the additional cameras we are adding are all going to be on ground level. Some of the placements are going to be fixed since getting cables between the floors is a real issue. Have tried to stand back from where the cameras are go in to make sure we have the best possible position.
12) Good on this one
13) Yep
14) Unfortunately camera placement is pretty fixed.
On a real computer, study this Cliff Notes, you won't absorb it all in a hour. You need to study it. It answers many questions.
Avoid WIFI!

Bad Wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy

@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Kingsecurity2018 @ Amazon.com:

Another shout-out to Andy and EmpireTech
Thanks for the heads up for now we will probably stick with HIKVision, but I may look at them when I am ready to build.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.