Getting Intel Quick Sync to work with Blue Iris (Settings & Troubleshooting)

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been having a hard time to get quicksync to work, i'm on Windows Server 2016 headless, so can't use any of the DCH drivers. Everything works as long as I keep BI open or just disable HW decoding altogether, even setting the lowest quality UI3 would complain my connection is not fast enough. I tried various drivers I could find but none solved the problem. The video and recording would be choppy and laggy and disconnect every 5 seconds.

What I discovered was if I keep the monitor on and active it would fix the problems, but my monitor would go to sleep after x minutes and the problem would happen again. I also didn't want to keep my monitor powered on unnecessarily as prefer headless.

What I had to do was change the monitor from going to sleep in the advanced power settings, by setting it to never. Once i did that i was in business, I can physically power off the monitor or disconnect it and HW decoding still works.

I also found a copy of non-DCH drivers from the wiki 24.20.100.6229, it also happens to be drivers for Server 2016.

Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® Server 2016 for NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK

My problem wasn't drivers as 24.20.100.6229 had issues. So anyone with weird behaviors try to prevent the monitor from sleeping and see if that helps.

protivakid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been having a hard time to get quicksync to work, i'm on Windows Server 2016 headless, so can't use any of the DCH drivers. Everything works as long as I keep BI open or just disable HW decoding altogether, even setting the lowest quality UI3 would complain my connection is not fast enough. I tried various drivers I could find but none solved the problem. The video and recording would be choppy and laggy and disconnect every 5 seconds.

What I discovered was if I keep the monitor on and active it would fix the problems, but my monitor would go to sleep after x minutes and the problem would happen again. I also didn't want to keep my monitor powered on unnecessarily as prefer headless.

What I had to do was change the monitor from going to sleep in the advanced power settings, by setting it to never. Once i did that i was in business, I can physically power off the monitor or disconnect it and HW decoding still works.

I also found a copy of non-DCH drivers from the wiki 24.20.100.6229, it also happens to be drivers for Server 2016.

Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® Server 2016 for NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK

My problem wasn't drivers as 24.20.100.6229 had issues. So anyone with weird behaviors try to prevent the monitor from sleeping and see if that helps.
Wow this wiki is great! I never knew it existed. Is there a way to test for the intel memory leak? The driver recommendation seems to be much older than the one I am using.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to build a new box and took a while to find a working Intel driver for i7-6700 as the older Intel drivers are no longer available for download and the newer ones would not install on a fully patched and updated Windows 10.
I used the Windows Driver from v23.20.16.4973 extracted from a CAB from the following site; Microsoft Update Catalog
Works great, hope this helps someone.
PS: The latest driver installed by Intel Driver Assist had the high-cpu issue (ie: hardware decode stopped after a few hours) But this one has been running for a while now with no issues.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We are NOW in the wiki:

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I followed all three methods outlined at the start of this post to confirm that quick sync was working. I believe mine is working, but it wasn't confirmed by all methods. I wonder if Blue Iris/Windows has changed.

1. Even though I had the GPU Engine column showing in task manager, it was blank next to Blue Iris. It wasn't until I clicked on that heading to sort by, that the GPU 0- Video Decode appeared.
2. In Blue Iris under status>cameras, there was no "Pixels" column. There was a "MPixels" column, but this column did NOT show the "#" symbol.
3. In Task Manager under performance, my GPU 0 did show that 11% was being used on video decoding. I only have 2 cameras so I guess that's correct.

duotronic

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. All these years, my PC bios had integrated video disabled.
Enabled option in bios. Booted. Windows 10 installed a driver. Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 showed on Task Manager performance tab. Restarted BI service. GPU 1 = Video Decode GPU engine appeared.
Paid off to go through the performance wiki slowly, step by step.

ccaru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A quick question: This wiki mentions that if quicksync is working, one should see "#" next to megapixels.
I think I have it working, but here I see an "I" (presumably for "I"ntel), while cameras with no acceleration is showing "-".
Do I have quicksync working?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes you have quick sync working.

The # was for BI 4.
In BI 5 look at the HA column on the BI status Cameras TAB.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you - I edited to make mention that in BI5 it will say "I" under the HA column.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

@JonSnow Thank You very much for this info. I had a Annke C800 4K camera that was constantly lagging, unless I RDP'ed into the box. Turned off the monitor power settings as you mentioned and the problem is gone. Strange fix for sure.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ditto here. Thanks to your suggestion @JonSnow. My system is now stable by setting the monitor to never sleep (on my headless system). Prior to that, I was randomly getting "no signal" on some of my 18+ cameras.