GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

highon2str

n3wb
Reaction score
You create and use an app-specific password not the e-mail's password. Click the gear settings button, go to "Two-factor authentication - Start using one-time passwords" then you'll find a place to generate "Application passwords" and it'll generate app-specific password for Hikvision's email alerts
Thanks I did that and now I finally have my motion detection emails back.

Lead times 4 mins compared to 30s with Gmail, from motion detection to email in inbox. But at least it's working again!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

wroom

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. Sorry if I confused you.:)

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You create and use an app-specific password not the e-mail's password. Click the gear settings button, go to "Two-factor authentication - Start using one-time passwords" then you'll find a place to generate "Application passwords" and it'll generate app-specific password for Hikvision's email alerts
Can you list the specific steps? Also, noting your equipment along with firmware versions may help too.

ogoname

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, here is what exactly happened to my, past wenesday email alert notifications stop working on my DS-7204 HGHI/SH/S DVR, I didn't know what was the problem, I suspected it was something with gmail because email test wasn't working, but in my hurry to solve the problem I upgrade the DVR to v3.3.2, but after upgrade was done I saw here the solution with yandex.com, when I configured yandex as the smtp server, email test was working but not the exception and motion detection alerts, I think that if email test is working on the dvr also the exception and motion detection suposed to be working but if the exception and motion detection are not working is not fault of yandex side I think, so I downgraded the DVR to all posible firmware versions, but still not working motion detection and exception emails, only the test email, I don´t know what to do, I expended three fully days in this problem :(

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly--I've been using Two-Step Verification for a couple of years now and have never had any BI-related gmail problems. As PRC points out, you have to use app-specific passwords that you generate in your google account: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I do that, i need to fill in the operating system my application is using. What do I need to fill in there?
Nope, doesn't matter. Just name your OS "Hikvision" or whatever you want.

ogoname

n3wb
Reaction score
I made a capture to figure out if motion detection emails were passing throught, and oh surprise, only test notifications are passing throuhg my lan connection, so the problem is the fucking firmware, yandex works ok, now I need to figure out how to put the right firmware in the box, and all of this because fucking gmail !!

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope, doesn't matter. Just name your OS "Hikvision" or whatever you want.
Hi guys I'm a bit confused is there a gmail work around or not with respect to app specific passwords? The problem appears to be googles non support of SSL.

All my 4x cameras also stopped working with gmail three days or so ago.

Fricken fantastic especially as the early 3mp cubes I'd bought were CCH Chinese and not easily up gradable. Bloody great.

Is Yandex an option I've read all the responses above.

So much for the "if its not broken don't upgrade it" and the couple of $$ saved for the chinese flashed versions. I didn't anticipate this sort of problem!!!

Grrrrrrr #$%$$ google and %&% Hikvision.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The annoying thing is that version 5.4 of camera firmware for 2X42 cameras takes care of the TLS encryption required by Google (and other providers). So HIKVision knew the Google security announcements, implemented TLS security, but only for one set of cameras and even that firmware is not officially released at the European or International support sites. In this way HIKVision devalues most existing cameras and older cameras like the popular 2332 (and similar one cameras). Now this is the definition of poor support (to put it politely).

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm that. My gmail stopped working one week ago, too. I am now running firmware 5.4 on my 2X42, switched to port 587 and TLS and everything works fine again.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A request to all camera users who are using the firmware 5.4 and have their email alerts functioning properly: Please tell us which camera model you have.

So far I have seen a few posts related only to the 2X42 camera model.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
V5.4.0 was released and then unreleased (if that's a word), withdrawn in effect.

Are you so desperate for this feature that you want to put on a firmware that has been withdrawn? Considering the outrageously buggy versions that weren't withdrawn then I wouldn't. I suspect that it must be something serious like a security issue for it to be withdrawn like this.

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Had trouble with emails and registering on site !!

Here now... At last

I have a DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH gmail stopped working and yandex was only sending test emails (won't even do that... Yandex Mail
Says sent too many emails ) sent none!

Has anyone got the latest link for software so TLS can be enabled and gmail to work?

Cheers in advance

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ps I'm not very technical at all so dummy's way of getting email notifications will be helpful

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Delboy I agree with your suspicions why firmware 5.4 was withdrawn. No body seems to know the reasons.

Now with respect to whether I am desperate or not, I would say that the basic functionality of email alerting is one of the reasons to have surveillance cameras. Since this functionality has been "withdrawn" from the manufacturer of the camera and since the manufacturer has not issued a security fix for which the manufacturer had been made aware by Google (and probably other free email provider) in advance, this means that the camera is no longer fit for the purpose it was made for. Therefore it is HIKVisions fault that the camera was rendered useless.

Therefore YES I am in desperate search for an alternative technology solution that will bypass the lack of proper HIKVision support.

I am wandering, how come all you american people who jump instantly for class suits against such poor practises, why you have not initiated a class suit for an unfit commercial product. In my case (unfortunately) I am European and such class suits would not hold at European courts for consumer products except in very special cases.

Mannyk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers Strikecom

Do you know if it's compatible with my DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gmail stopped on both my DS-2CD2032F-I cameras.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now with respect to whether I am desperate or not, I would say that the basic functionality of email alerting is one of the reasons to have surveillance cameras. Since this functionality has been "withdrawn" from the manufacturer of the camera and since the manufacturer has not issued a security fix for which the manufacturer had been made aware by Google (and probably other free email provider) in advance, this means that the camera is no longer fit for the purpose it was made for. Therefore it is HIKVisions fault that the camera was rendered useless.

Therefore YES I am in desperate search for an alternative technology solution that will bypass the lack of proper HIKVision support.
Don't be so melodramatic. Camera is fit for purpose. Hikvision have no control over GMAIL. Use a different e-mail provider if it's not compatible.

Hikvision support is rubbish, we all know that. If you are that desperate then use an e-mail provider that allows SSL or no encryption. There are plenty out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Strikecom

Do you know if it's compatible with my DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH
That firmware is for 2XX2FWD cameras not for your NVR. This thread is going to result in people bricking their devices.