GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
to test if port 25 and 587 is open is pretty simple, just get a linux live CD, fire it up and enter:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
Trying 74.125.206.109...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP s184sm5768906wmb.11 - gsmtp

or for port 587:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
Trying 74.125.206.109...
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP ml1sm25852287wjb.46 - gsmtp
quit
221 2.0.0 closing connection ml1sm25852287wjb.46 - gsmtp

if you see this above, you can reach the smtp server from your LAN where the camera is

Chris_sa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision sent me a firmware upgrade. No option for tls, but Camera mails working again with ssl enabled on Google with port 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
hi klasipca, i already tested with 587, 25 and 465 port, with and without check ssl...
:(

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk
465 doesn't work, 587 works. Latest firmware 3.82

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
to test if port 25 and 587 is open is pretty simple, just get a linux live CD, fire it up and enter:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
Trying 74.125.206.109...
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP s184sm5768906wmb.11 - gsmtp

or for port 587:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
Trying 74.125.206.109...
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP ml1sm25852287wjb.46 - gsmtp
quit
221 2.0.0 closing connection ml1sm25852287wjb.46 - gsmtp

if you see this above, you can reach the smtp server from your LAN where the camera is
Hi belmont,

i used telnet command as you and this response:

Trying 74.125.206.109...
Connected to 74.125.206.109.
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP lv9sm40630732wjb.22 - gsmtp

To my lan is all ok i think but not work.

Now i choose an my old account email with telecom italy (that is my internet provider) and with this, on 25 port without ssl check WORK ! For now i keep as it. I hope don't change rules or parameters of my internet provider.

Thanks guys ;)

lvez

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a DS-2CD2332-I and have been following this thread wrt to the gmail issue. A couple days ago i noticed the 5.4 firmware was available on the HIK site http://www.hikvision.ca/en/download_89.html I installed it and I can now select STARTTLS in the email settings and send email from the camera. Configuration_and_GMAIL.png

visbee

n3wb
Reaction score
Re : Gmail failure

Hi guys I am new to this forum lark so please bear with me.

My Hikvision cameras also stopped sending emails to me when line crossing activation happened. Hikvision informed me that gmail had stopped supporting SSL security. Has anybody set up a different email provider which is working ok? I have tried using Yahoo but this doesn't seem to want to work.

Thanks in anticipation.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sign up for a free Sendgrid account and use the settings earlier in this thread. It's working well for me. The only drawback is Gmail (where I receive email) tags all Sendgrid email as spam, even my NVR messages. I had to create a filter that overrides Gmail's desire to spam-can these messages and it results in a big obnoxious warning on each Sendgrid message. It works, though!

Reaction score
If you can update the firmware on these cameras and change your email settings to TLS port 465 or 587 it SHOULD start working again. I have a DS-2CD2532 that I updated to 5.4.0 firmware and it works fine. I have a DS-2CD2142 that I updated to 5.4.0 and the test emails work ok, but I don't get any intrusion detection or line crossing emails. BOTH cameras are using the exact same email settings.

visbee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response horseflesh. I will try this tomorrow. The only thing is I seem to remember the only options on the drop down email encryption menu (iVMS-4200 software) are "close" or "SSL". Looking briefly at the Send grid website they state they use TLS encryption. Do l set the encryption as SSL. If this fails does anyone know of a free email provider that uses SSL.

Many thanks.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set SSL to "close" so I am sending without encryption.

To minimize risks from this I used Sendgrid's feature where you can make a a linked account--a new name and password that is ONLY good for sending mail, not actually logging in to Sendgrid. If that login gets comprised, no big deal.

blah2u

n3wb
Reaction score
hi horseflesh... I think on an earlier post you mentioned your hardware is LTS... what equipment do you have? I have LTN8708 and cant get it to work with sendgrid or any other provider... my rep said LTS is working on a firmware fix but who knows if that ever is going to happen. thanks in advance.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 16 port 4k NVR: LTN8916-P16, firmware 3.3.6 build 151026

These are the Sendgrid settings that work for me. Note that the user name, not shown in the image, is JUST the username, NOT an email address as it would be for Gmail.

temp.PNG

visbee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for reply Horseflesh. I am sorry to ask but I have setup and account with Sendgrid ticking the transactional emails option and using one of my other email addresses in the setup page. Having had the email address verified and the account opened I expected to be able to obtain/use a joebloggs@sendgrid email address. But on the user page, dashboard etc. there appears to be no where to send an email from. Have I completely missed something here. A complete idiots guide to setting this up and using in the Hikvision software would be useful. Sorry for having to ask this. Alternatively an email provider with SSL encryption may be easier for me to setup if anyone knows of any. Many thanks to all.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you configured a recipient in your NVR? The Sendgrid account just provides a means to send email somewhere else. Are you trying to receive email there too? You should use another email account to receive the alerts sent via Sendgrid.

temp.PNG

Attachments

blah2u

n3wb
Reaction score
whatever I'm doing isn't working... I only have an Enable SSL checkbox. are u using Sender and Sender email as your Sendgrid username and Sendgrid username@sendgrid.com? doesn't seem like Sendgrid assigns an email addy from their domain but I could be very wrong. ive toggled between SSL on and off, using 25, 2525, 587 and 465. thanks again

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My screen shots are from the Remote Management panel in iVMS-4200. In other versions like the browser, I think there is just a checkbox for SSL. On the NVR Remote Management, SSL set to "close" seems to mean "no checkmark."

SSL off on port 587 is what works for me at Sendgrid.

"user name" is my Sendgrid username and "sender email" is my full Sendgrid email address, which is username@sendgrid.com.

There is one thing I did differently which I did not spell out above. I didn't think it mattered, but just in case...

Sendgrid lets you create a NEW username/password, which is authorized to send emails. I did that, and that is what I use in the NVR. My reasoning is, if my email name/password gets compromised (since we have no SSL) then I didn't compromise my Sendgrid login. To try this log in at Sendgrid and look under Settings/Credentials.

Lastly, how are you testing? Are you trying the test email button in the NVR/browser settings? In my experience if that test button works, email is working. If no email is showing up there may be another problem.

blah2u

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks. I'm testing over the administrative portal for my nvr on a web browser. so I've tried every iteration of SSL off and on against 25, 2525, 587, 465.

maybe I'm being incredibly idiotic here, but when I created my sendgrid username - their platform never showed or told me that my Sendgrid Address was username@sendgrid.com --looking at the settings I see the email addy I registered with, but in any case neither seems to work. oh, and I tried setting up a new ID. (again it doesn't allow me to use the sendgrid domain). im guessing the firmware on my equipment is just outdated.

thanks again.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's interesting. Seems like it should work. I wonder if there is a networking problem, like the SMTP port being blocked somewhere between you and Sendgrid.

I would suggest that you try making a direct connection to Sendgrid's server with a command line tool. This is pretty easy to do and it will show you if something is blocking your connection.

Assuming you are on Windows, go to this site and download puttytel.exe.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Open the program and change the highlighted settings. This should open a connection to Sendgrid in exactly the same way as your NVR would do.

puttytel.PNG

When you click Open, you will hopefully see a new window open. The text in this window is the "I'm listening" message from Sendgrid's email server.

smtp.PNG

If you see something like that, good news... You may have a configuration or firmware problem, but there's nothing fundamentally blocking access to Sendgrid.

If you can't get this connection to work, or if there is some kind of error message, then something is blocking port 587. (Firewall, etc.) Since you have tried every setting combination it seems like a good idea to verify that something like that isn't going on.

Good luck!

dreambox

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem was in GMAIL server since mid 2016. SMTP server from GMAIL blocks all connections from unknown mail-clients.
Furthermore this problem cannot be solved with new firmware.

I have followed manual and solve the problem !
They propose to activate 2-Steps Verification of GMAIL server and use different password for each mail-client (for instance camera or/and NVR from HIKVISION).

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 16.57.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 17.06.43.png

Thanks
www.security-camera.ch

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
gmail is absolutely disgusting, they suspend the account if you use the smtp server too much. I have only 2 cams and max 200 emails per day and they blocked me. I must find a different mail provider..

i got this:

Hi,

Google has suspended your Account, xyz@gmail.com, because of a violation of our Terms of Service.