GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think Sendgrid gives you 12,000 emails with their free account.

I would advise anyone using Google to make a new account just for SMTP. It would be a shame to have your primary Google account killed because a camera went nuts and sent too much email.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, first i / we had to disable the 2-step verification, but now we all must enable it and use the app password, just like the swiss guy explained before my post. Hopefully this way gmail wont kick us out. But yes, never ever use your main gmail account for cameras...

visbee

n3wb
Reaction score
I set SSL to "close" so I am sending without encryption.

To minimize risks from this I used Sendgrid's feature where you can make a a linked account--a new name and password that is ONLY good for sending mail, not actually logging in to Sendgrid. If that login gets comprised, no big deal.
Horseflesh, many thanks for all your help re setting up sendgrid on my Hikvision cameras which are now sending emails for line crossing. I set this up using a gmail address in the sender and receiver boxes (not the gmail address I use for my sendgrid account)Have I inadvertently set up a sendgrid linked account as you mention in your post.? Once again many thanks for your help.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The "sender" email box is the email address that the messages will look like they came from. The true sender is your Sendgrid account. You're allowed to set a fake "sender" for convenience in case you want a different reply-to address.

As long as the email server is Sendgrid, you are sending through Sendgrid.

Glad you got it working!

visbee

n3wb
Reaction score
The "sender" email box is the email address that the messages will look like they came from. The true sender is your Sendgrid account. You're allowed to set a fake "sender" for convenience in case you want a different reply-to address.

As long as the email server is Sendgrid, you are sending through Sendgrid.

Glad you got it working!
Thanks Horseflesh. Could you explain how I exactly set up a linked account, new name and password that is only good for sending emails but not used for logging into sendgrid as cannot seem to find anywhere in my sendgrid account to do this. The gmail address in my sendgrid account is one I use all the time for sending and receiving mail on a day to day use.

blah2u

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you horseflesh and others. i'll try the puttytel to see if things are going through. I've also have tried the 2-step verification, unfortunately didn't wrk for me.

nikuk

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as blah2u. Though, it honestly seems as if the "test" email isn't even getting out of the NVR... All I ever get is an immediate "Testing failed".

LTN8708-P8; Firmware: 3.3.2 build 151208

Used Gmail; setup a new nvr specific gmail with lesser security, then went 2 step auth & app password, tried all the ports, also tried the alternate gmail with no authentication approach mentioned earlier.
Went to Outlook. Same routine.
I've just gone through SendGrid to no avail. Used the sign up username info, added a credential, tried port configs, nothing.

I've tried each variable in both a DS-2CD2342WD-I frimware V5.3.8 build 151224 turret cam and a CMIP8222W firmware V5.3.6 build 151223, as well as the NVR itself.

iVMS 4500 (on Android) works fine for all of it's features, iVMS 4200 on Windows desktop and the Platinum web portal works fine. I'm not new to home networking but his isn't my area of expertise either. I've been reading here for weeks trying to sort this out to no avail.

I'm about to consider trying to force a Hikvision firmware onto the machine to see if that helps - I already have the "most current" variant.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nikuk -- it does sound like you guys may have a firmware problem.

If you have a minute, try the manual Sendgrid probe I posted recently.

nikuk

n3wb
Reaction score
That's interesting. Seems like it should work. I wonder if there is a networking problem, like the SMTP port being blocked somewhere between you and Sendgrid.

I would suggest that you try making a direct connection to Sendgrid's server with a command line tool. This is pretty easy to do and it will show you if something is blocking your connection.

Assuming you are on Windows, go to this site and download puttytel.exe.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Open the program and change the highlighted settings. This should open a connection to Sendgrid in exactly the same way as your NVR would do.

View attachment 13543

When you click Open, you will hopefully see a new window open. The text in this window is the "I'm listening" message from Sendgrid's email server.

View attachment 13544

If you see something like that, good news... You may have a configuration or firmware problem, but there's nothing fundamentally blocking access to Sendgrid.

If you can't get this connection to work, or if there is some kind of error message, then something is blocking port 587. (Firewall, etc.) Since you have tried every setting combination it seems like a good idea to verify that something like that isn't going on.

Good luck!
works fine on 587 & 25.

220 SG ESMTP service ready at ismtpd0014p1las1.sendgrid.net

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the bottom line is you can get email to work from some of the apps, but not from the hardware itself, right? And the port probe showed that the server was reachable, which we'd expect if you had ever had any successes. I think I have to agree that this smells like firmware BS. :(

nikuk

n3wb
Reaction score
That's where I'm at. I'd been emailing with Milkisbad, he's always a great help, but he basically said the same thing - Cameras they have updated firmware which supports TSL for gmail, so the NVR might not be too far away….honestly on our side, we have been chasing Hikvision to release a version for us since the day gmail had issues…but Hikvision is dragging their feet for their OEMs…sigh…wish there was more I can do.

Frankly I don’t encourage flashing it to Hik’s …I have only flashed via camera but not NVR yet…so as a disclaimer, attempt at your own risk please! >_<

Understandable, but WTF.
I don't want to just leave NVMS running constantly - the desktop isn't powered on constantly... that's why I got the NVR rather than a blue iris setup.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sadly with all these Chinese-sourced gadgets we all end up at the mercy of the OEM.

blah2u

n3wb
Reaction score
nikuk / horseflesh. thanks, enlightening exchange. urgh. I just pinged my rep yesterday and he said LTS is still working on it. But is sounds like they are beholden to HIK, if im following this correctly. thanks or confirming im not alone in this boat. please post if you come across a solution.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I have the LTS 4k 16 port NVR LTN8916-P16 , my neighbor has the 8-port 5 MP model LTN8708-P8. Like all of us, his Gmail failed a while back. I went over there yesterday to get him set up on Sendgrid... and despite having gotten myself up on Sendgrid with no problems, his unit failed to cooperate, as @nikuk described. Very interesting!

If any of you guys who have lost Gmail and can't get Sendgrid to work either find an email provider that works, please let us know.

nikuk

n3wb
Reaction score
While I have the LTS 4k 16 port NVR LTN8916-P16 , my neighbor has the 8-port 5 MP model LTN8708-P8. Like all of us, his Gmail failed a while back. I went over there yesterday to get him set up on Sendgrid... and despite having gotten myself up on Sendgrid with no problems, his unit failed to cooperate, as @nikuk described. Very interesting!

If any of you guys who have lost Gmail and can't get Sendgrid to work either find an email provider that works, please let us know.
See my other thread in this forum - it's not just the email provider, it's the firmware. I'd bet $10 that you could get your neighbors email to work, on sendgrid, with nvms7000, or ivms4200.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After having tried it myself I believe you. Our Sendgrid setups were identical, and the NVRs' email config areas are as well. There's no reason his setup should have failed.

This does not mean there isn't another SMTP provider that might work. After all, Gmail did until they pulled the plug.

Reaction score
I have a LTS [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]LTN8816-P16 NVR , with 12 LTS cameras and 2 Hikvisions. I was able to get Emails to send from the NVR using a comcast email address, however it recently stopped working. It was not my account so the user may have changed the password or I got banned after a spider set off the line intrusion 130 times in one night. I have tried about 20 other email providers and non have worked.

I wish i didn't get a POE NVR, and went with a separate switch. Reason 1, I was able to get the cameras to send emails when not connected to the NVR. Reason 2, the attachments were better quality. Plus all the other features that the NVR blocks.

They need to get on a firmware updated, I figured when purchasing one of the latest DVR LTS released they would have ironed out the firmware before release.

Might be time to buy a POE switch to get a few cameras up and running with emails.
[/FONT]

rockycmt

n3wb
Reaction score
WOW long thread. I am looking for an end summary if this did come to a conclusion. I have this same problem. MY 5 cameras stopped emailing. Been using gmail. If there is a post that does point to the solution that would be great. I made it to page 12 and now I just want someone to say click this link.

I have these. And I set up email right on the camera.
[h=1]DS-2CD2132F-I-2.8MM[/h]