Hello to all, I want to be in control of my security

Reaction score
The goal for me is to be in control of my security system and be able to run it localy and remotely to keep my property safe and my family safe.
I realized that most security systems wanted to "trap" you in their own closed system , and I hate this, so I went ahead to learn , configure and run my own custom system.
I hope to learn here.
Thanks
eduardo

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------
For home security, start with a wired zoned alarm system, windows have open switches and break glass sensors. Doors open have open door switches. Have high quality loud sirens, really loud. I use outdoor sirens inside, they hurt your ears when then go off. There are door sensors on on some inside closet doors. Also inside motion sensors. The motion sensors are on a seperate zone because I have three dogs.

The dogs are part of the security system. To get to my front door you have to open a gate into the court yard. The dogs have an electric dog door into the court yard, with the controllers mount on there collars.

Camara are for what happened and who did it. Most, not all my cameras are double covered, one camera can see another camera. As an example the front court yard has 4 cameras, two covering the front door.

Absolutely no wifi. Wifi is a snap to jam / disable.
--------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess