Hello!

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. First timer here. I have enjoyed reading many links here. Very informative and helpful group. I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to do with a set of Lorex cameras we have and the NVR has died. Is this a situation in which we can use Blue Iris with our Windows computer? And if so, advice on how to get started with the transfer from the NVR to my computer? Or would it be better to get another NVR?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :)

I suggest that if you haven't already done so, read the Wiki up top and its Cliff Notes.

Blue Iris is, IMO, superior to any NVR out there, but..... it runs best on a PC that is dedicated to being a Blue Iris server only AND meets these minimum requirements AND has been configured and optimized as here.

If you don't have the budget for it, then perhaps later and a NVR will suffice for now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. First timer here. I have enjoyed reading many links here. Very informative and helpful group. I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to do with a set of Lorex cameras we have and the NVR has died. Is this a situation in which we can use Blue Iris with our Windows computer? And if so, advice on how to get started with the transfer from the NVR to my computer? Or would it be better to get another NVR?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Welcome @giddieup

Depends on the cameras. If they have standard rtsp feeds - then that is good news.

What are the camera models?

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR for your reply. The model number is: Lorex LNB9232S. Pretty sure it's standard rtsp. How do we find out for sure? It's a POE system.

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :)

I suggest that if you haven't already done so, read the Wiki up top and its Cliff Notes.

Blue Iris is, IMO, superior to any NVR out there, but..... it runs best on a PC that is dedicated to being a Blue Iris server only AND meets these minimum requirements AND has been configured and optimized as here.

If you don't have the budget for it, then perhaps later and a NVR will suffice for now.
Thank you, I will take a look at what you've listed here. I so appreciate your help. Will an NVR listed on this site work with these Lorex cameras and with the Blue Iris?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR for your reply. The model number is: Lorex LNB9232S. Pretty sure it's standard rtsp. How do we find out for sure? It's a POE system.
Specs here say ONVIF, so it should be OK.
Dahua is the OEM for Lorex, insure any NVR you choose, Lorex or Dahua, is also ONVIF compliant. Such an NVR, along with the compliant cameras, should stream OK to Blue Iris.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @giddieup

That is definitely a Dahua OEM from Lorex. iirc it should also be ONVIF... so good news there.

As this is a fairly recent model camera - check if the NVR is still under warranty.

The camera should work well with Blue Iris, Dahua's OEM SmartPSS + NVR software, and others...

1580098891247.png

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I will take a look at what you've listed here. I so appreciate your help. Will an NVR listed on this site work with these Lorex cameras and with the Blue Iris?
Hello everyone. So grateful for all your help so far! We're doing well so far in the set up. Running into a small glitch. We are working with the trial version to make sure this is going to work as we'd like before purchasing.
We've gone through the whole optimizing page you suggest and still CPU 90%. As it is our mouse reactive time is very, very sluggish. What else can we try? Our computer is brand new and dedicated to this job only - Lenovo think center we believe it meets your requirements:
-I7-4770 CPU
-16 GB of RAM
-Windows 10 Professional BIT
-512 GB SSD
-Intel HD graphics 4600 ( could this be the issue?)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The trial version does not allow for Direct to Disk, so that's one reason.
But likely the biggest reason is that video clips need to go a separate, spinning surveillance-rated HDD, such as a WD Purple and NOT on the SSD with BI and the O/S.

Put Windows 10, Blue Iris and the BI database folder (db) on the SSD, BI video clips and alerts on the HDD.

It's also likely that there's crapware and bloatware if that's the OEM install of Win 10; best to do a fresh install (complete reformat) of Windows 10 Pro from a
USB flash drive created here ==>> Create Windows 10 installation media

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
The trial version does not allow for Direct to Disk, so that's one reason.
But likely the biggest reason is that video clips need to go a separate, spinning surveillance-rated HDD, such as a WD Purple and NOT on the SSD with BI and the O/S.

Put Windows 10, Blue Iris and the BI database folder (db) on the SSD, BI video clips and alerts on the HDD.

It's also likely that there's crapware and bloatware if that's the OEM install of Win 10; best to do a fresh install (complete reformat) of Windows 10 Pro from a
USB flash drive created here ==>> Create Windows 10 installation media
-We have recordings going to a separate spinning HDD - 1 TB WD
-BI and DB folders are on the SSD
-This is not an OEM install of Windows 10
- We just added the folders to Windows defender

Any other suggestions?

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
^^^^^^^this....plus be sure you have all the BI folders excluded from Windows Defender.
I've hired a computer expert to assist us. We've read the WIKI info and serched the forums for high CPU usage. We feel we've exhausted our options and not finding a solution to reduce the cpu. The playback of the recordings are extremely slow, We have 6 4K ca,eras with audio. Is this too much for BI to handle?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you close BI, have no other apps/programs running, Cntrl-Alt-Del to get Task Manager, click on "processes", what is % in "CPU" column?
(Insure no Windows Updates" are installing when this % is observed (Windows "Settings", "Updates").

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at what other similar processor are doing, pay close attention to the MP/Sec.

Blue Iris Update Helper

Please provide a screen shots. full frame
1) windows task manager sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue iris status clip storage
3) blue Iris status cameras
4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

giddieup

n3wb
Reaction score
When you close BI, have no other apps/programs running, Cntrl-Alt-Del to get Task Manager, click on "processes", what is % in "CPU" column?
(Insure no Windows Updates" are installing when this % is observed (Windows "Settings", "Updates").
6 -12 cpu