Help looking for reset on IP PoE camera from Lorex, unknown OEM

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some help on how to factory reset a Lorex LKE383A camera. This camera came with a kit from costco (seen here, as well as some others having this issue: Costco Members: Lorex 8-Channel Surveillance System + 4x 4K Cameras $450 + Free S&H)

I used Flir Client 12 to connect to the camera on port 35000, using admin/admin. From there I set a static IP and went to change the admin password. I will attach a screenshot of what it looks like from a working camera. I chnaged the password and set the username as "admin". It let me change the password, however, now when you try to access it it says "Username does not exist". There is no hard reset button anywhere to be found. I took it apart to see if there was one inside, or even jumpers to do a reset. Nothing obvious that I can see.

Not sure on the OEM. I tried to use the Dahua toolkit and the configtool doesn't see it (nor one of the exact same cameras that I haven't locked out).

ONVIF Viewer iditifies the same model working camera as:
Manufacturer: LOREX
Model: LKE383A
Hardware: RS-CM-214B
Firmware: 00020
Device ID: 10001

Also tried plugging directly back into NVR, but it says it can't find network and gives it a 0.0.0.0 IP. Unfortunately, I had set a static IP for my network already. I've tried setting the static ip for the camera in the NVR to see if it would also try and connect, but it just resets it to 0.0.0.0 after a few seconds. It can see the the camera when it is plugged in, and even shows that it knows it's firmware version 0020.

Any help is appreciated. I know there are a few of us on the SD forum that ran into this same issue. Thanks!

lorexissue2018-06-07 21_17_08-FLIR Client 12.png IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0924.jpg IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0929.jpg IMG_0930.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no hard reset button anywhere to be found. I took it apart to see if there was one inside, or even jumpers to do a reset. Nothing obvious that I can see.
I don't see either a reset button or any reset pads either.
But I'm wondering if the 3-pin white connector next to the sensor cable might be a serial console connection.
Sometimes serial consoles don't require a login, in which case setting to defaults might be possible.

I can see firmware for NVRs and DVRs - but not cameras.
Wondering about cracking a telnet password, if that's something the camera responds to.

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see either a reset button or any reset pads either.
But I'm wondering if the 3-pin white connector next to the sensor cable might be a serial console connection.
Sometimes serial consoles don't require a login, in which case setting to defaults might be possible.

I can see firmware for NVRs and DVRs - but not cameras.
Wondering about cracking a telnet password, if that's something the camera responds to.
The 3 pin white connector had a cable plugged into it that went to the other half of the shell. I think it was either microphone or IR LED's. I had to unplug to open it up further.

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
Port scan shows TCP ports. 80, 110, 119, 143, 554, 563, 993, 995, 7000, 35000

There is no web gui...when you go to ip:80,
This 192.168.XXX.XX page can’t be found
No webpage was found for the web address: http://192.168.XXX.XX/

HTTP ERROR 404

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Port scan shows TCP ports. 80, 110, 119, 143, 554, 563, 993, 995, 7000, 35000

This 192.168.XXX.XX page can’t be found
No webpage was found for the web address: http://192.168.XXX.XX/

HTTP ERROR 404
Hi Digeratist,

Try telneting to the various ports and seeing what results you get.

Also, some browsers work better than others, so try various different browsers. Look for a browser called Pale Moon. Try IE.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's in contrast to :
however, now when you try to access it it says "Username does not exist".
Long shot - try another browser, or another PC, or clear the browser cache.
I'd wondered if the 'Username does not exist' might have been a quirky browser cookie issue.

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
That's in contrast to :

Long shot - try another browser, or another PC, or clear the browser cache.
I'd wondered if the 'Username does not exist' might have been a quirky browser cookie issue.
The "Username does not exist" comes from FLIR Client 12, connecting to the IP on port 35000. This is a lorex desktop app used to connect (not browser). See here: FLIR Client 12 Software: Modifying user accounts on PC / Mac
This was how I had to change it in the first place, rather than a web gui.

I've tried telnetting to the ports. 80, 7000, and 35000 connect but then close saying "connection closed by foreign host".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "Username does not exist" comes from FLIR Client 12, connecting to the IP on port 35000. This is a lorex desktop app used to connect (not browser). See here: FLIR Client 12 Software: Modifying user accounts on PC / Mac
This was how I had to change it in the first place, rather than a web gui.

I've tried telnetting to the ports. 80, 7000, and 35000 connect but then close saying "connection closed by foreign host".
Hi Digeratist,

So I'm guessing that is the error generated when it is attempting to access the rtsp feed and passing the username to the camera.

Hmmm... interesting problem. Certainly there must be a way to reset this bugger.

@TonyR @bababouy have you seen the interface of this product before? ( see pic on first post of screen ) We're wondering who the OEM is and how to reset this sucker.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@digeratist

Have you tried the Dahua config tool yet?
Help identifying what Dahua model this Q-See camera is

Also note:
"Username does not exist" - maybe an error message which applies to both username error and password mismatch error.

Have you already tried admin/admin and admin/<newpassword> ?

Note - some systems will lock an account out after a number of repeated attempts to login.

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I have an identical camera that still has the default admin/admin credentials. When you enter an incorrect password, it returns "Password Error!" instead of "Username Not Found!".

I did run the Dahua Config Tool on both the broken and working cameras -- it does not find either one, which makes me think it is not dahua.

The config tool does find my other lorex cameras (that are dahua and have a web interface).

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
This sounds dumb... but thats a lorex GUI before they were purchased by Dahua. I think they converted a year or two ago along with flir and honeywell cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This sounds dumb... but thats a lorex GUI before they were purchased by Dahua. I think they converted a year or two ago along with flir and honeywell cameras.
Hi Bababouy,

Prior to the Dahua purchase they were some Lorex cameras and kits which clearly were using the GUI which is the same as the Dahua OEM NVR I have.

Costco is still selling Lorex NVRs with one or the other GUI ( the one displayed here and the clearly Dahua OEM version ), and thus we're stumped on the OEM of this particular kit / camera.

Reaction score
I'm guessing the reset contacts are the pair with a star/asterisk between them, on the very edge of the PCB, next to the black rectangular IC labeled TNK TSA500.

digeratist

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm guessing the reset contacts are the pair with a star/asterisk between them, on the very edge of the PCB, next to the black rectangular IC labeled TNK TSA500.
I wondered about that, but it looks like it is the symbol for "diode"...would that make sense?