Help specing a Dahua system

Tripleguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Members. Not sure if there is a sticky for these questions but I'd like to ask for recommendations on a system for my home. I am a noob but I've been doing some reading. My needs boil down to something like this:
  • I don't expect I'll be a hobbyist - just a user that wants good video, especially at night. I've read that cameras with the Starlight 1/1.8 sensors are the way to go at this time. I want to keep this simple - set it up and let it run.
  • I don't envision a lot of tweaking of the system. For that reason, I'm leaning toward an NVR vs. a windows PC running Blue Iris.
  • I will start with 4 cameras - two in the front and 2 in the back of the house. I may add one or two after that so an 8 channel NVR is probably sufficient.
  • There is 100' from front of house to street. No streetlights and I'm in a small country subdivision. I can have a porch light and 3 garage mounted coachlights on behind the soffit mounted cameras (30w/60w motion output). First floor soffit location. Pretty dark across the street - maybe one or 2 neighbors at best with a porch light that is on at night and those would be 200 - 300 feet away.
  • In the back, it's dark but I do have the option of leaving 2 back porch lights on which again would be behind the soffit mounted cameras. No homes back there, just a wetland so I'd only have moonlight and light from the 2 porch lights.

What are your thoughts for camera models and NVR hard drive size? Is the Dahua software sufficient for setting up cameras, detection zones and then getting alerts sent to phones? Anything else you would advise?
Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Don't be in a hurry or you will be sorry. Read the wiki study the information and read the forums. Just type a question in the search area and check out those forums. Everyone's situation is different . Since your in the country and it's dark. You should read the treads with starligth, dark fighter, colorvue, they all have information about cameras for night time security. Remember to get same name of NVR as cameras and things will work best for you. Good Luck

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
read study plan before spending money.

If going the NVR route, get one bigger than you think you will need. If you think you will use only 6 cameras, then get a 16 camera NVR. The NVR can be limited by ports (cameras) but it can also be limited by data rates, that it can process in and out.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tripleguy

n3wb
Reaction score
read study plan before spending money.

If going the NVR route, get one bigger than you think you will need. If you think you will use only 6 cameras, then get a 16 camera NVR. The NVR can be limited by ports (cameras) but it can also be limited by data rates, that it can process in and out.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy
Yes, I've been reading that Andy is a good source for cameras and NVR. Thanks for the additional information. I will review wiki info.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your off to a good start...Read, Study, Learn..then Read, Study, Plan..and Learn some more....
The Cams you install and the system you will run will be with you (hopefully) for a long time.
I am in the same Boat as you......
The best thing I have learned from the Great Group of Guys here is take your time.........and Ask Questions.

Tripleguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Your off to a good start...Read, Study, Learn..then Read, Study, Plan..and Learn some more....
The Cams you install and the system you will run will be with you (hopefully) for a long time.
I am in the same Boat as you......
The best thing I have learned from the Great Group of Guys here is take your time.........and Ask Questions.
I feared that was the case. I've been reading here and there for a couple/few years and just started to get serious. I don't want this to become a hobby or an obsession. Just wish there were a plug and play but the options for those are limited to camera systems that don't work well in low light. I think I'd be perfectly happy with an Amcrest or Lorex if they had low light capabilities as daytime resolution seems to be adequate with most 4K systems. I also just want reliable push notifications so that might also be an issue. I'll have to pick up my game when it comes to reading I guess. Thanks and good luck to you too.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think with any DYI...
You kind of have to have the Project become a Simi-hobby....
How else would you know if your doing the Project the way you want and correctly.

Tripleguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I think with any DYI...
You kind of have to have the Project become a Simi-hobby....
How else would you know if your doing the Project the way you want and correctly.
True to a certain degree. I mean there's contracting the whole thing, buying a quasi-plug and play and then a DIY more customized setup which is what I envision. I already have a couple serious hobbies. I don't have time for another big endeavor but I'm OK with doing some research and knowing what I'm getting and doing.