Hi everybody!

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice forum! My first time in this world.
Building my first Blue Iris system :)

Need your insights on my future server i want to buy to host Blue Iris.
I got it clear i5, i7 (Intel Quick Sync video).
I see Optiplex & Elite Desk referenced in your wiki. But what about the Lenovo Think Center ?

Are they worthy, are they upgradable without any problem if i swap cpu's or change even a better psu, or add a low profile air cooler and details like that. I heard some stories about proprietary hardware setup that you cannot be upgraded without problems. I am used to build gaming rigs from scratch for friends and my self.

My ideal vision is a small form factor mini pc like the ''Lenovo M92P Mini desktop with i53470T'' to fit inside a wall hidden from intruders. What are you thoughts on this ?

I just bought a 250ft cat6 wire bundle to crimp diy the cables with rj45 heads,
bought 1 cheap 2MP KingKongSmart 40$ on amazon poe ip cam,
with a second hand poe Network switch, the DGS-1008P.

Planing to buy different brand to test them 1 by 1 by my favorite would be the HickVision witch are quite expensive for my budget right now.

I like to mod pc cases so i would be happy to make a 1 box bolted together with my network switch and mini pc and maybe extra compartment for WD Purple HDD, but main system on 2.5 ssd or m.2 nvme if possible on theses mobo wich i doubt.
Optiplex, Elite Desk, Think Center ect is max 8gig capacity for some and other support 16g of RAM max?

Thank you !

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
----------------------------------
Stick with a large case, no mini computer. You should upgrade the Primary disk to an SSD about 120 to 250 GB. This is for the windows 10 OS and BI. Depending on the number of cameras a 4 to 8 TB WD purple drive. The large case is easier to cool for 24/7 operation.

Read and study plan before spending money.
make sure the cable is copper, NOT CCA.
---------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OMG thank you ! i just cancelled a CCA cable order ! ok Will buy a large and mod it with dremel to stack some fans and glue some mesh in the air intakes and out. will take out the dvd player and buy a small modular psu for the optiplex style or think center desktops.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OMG thank you ! i just cancelled a CCA cable order ! ok Will buy a large and mod it with dremel to stack some fans and glue some mesh in the air intakes and out. will take out the dvd player and buy a small modular psu for the optiplex style or think center desktops.
Please study this before spending any cash. Cliff Notes
And this: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Avoid the T processors.

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thank you for the support! I found an i7 3770 used that works well with 16gb ram on a think center. just waiting my next pay to buy a camera with cable and BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you ! i canceled the kingkong, hope Nelly's ship to Canada. will check the used market for Hickvision or Dahua if ever i find beforehand.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same for me all WD since a decade.
Just bought BI on sales with dropped price in the store here.
Thx for the BI deal IpCamTalk!

Will upload the pics of my computer case modifications i just made, really awesome! i am sure you will all gonna like it with also my case airflow re-engineering!

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can i use a non surveillance HDD if i cannot afford it right now ? i have a WD Blue 500GB for 1 cam, i just bought the Nelly's one sugested above.

Zelf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok i bought the 250FT 23AWG*4P Bare Copper Cat6 550MHz UTP Solid Bulk Cable, Riser Rated (CM), Blue - PrimeCables®
Hope its the good type.