Hi there! Newbie IT Guy needs experienced cam choice advice...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've lurked on the forum off and on the last couple years. I'm an IT guy from Arlington, TX (down the street from the Cowboy Stadium). I currently have a half installed Samsung dome analog camera in place on a Samsung NVR. I've been researching off and on for the last couple years about what I want to do to replace it and do things better all around the house. I recently did major roof and eave/soffit work on the house and in the process, added a crap ton of boxes around the house with CAT6 and a few AC runs. I bought a Costco kit last year (LNB8005-c cams) to test/eval but I know there are better ways. (It's all still in the box except a single cam and the NVR.) Problem is, it's rather difficult to find a comprehensive amount of advice on a good solution, cam choice, etc. ipcamtalk is about as good as I've found.

Basically, I want to slowly set up around 8-10 IP cams around the house (eventually) starting with 3-4 in front. Maybe a LPR cam. I already have dedicated CAT6 wire run everywhere and I have several decent D-Link managed POE switches to power them in about 3 different areas. So, this means a dedicated/powered network just for the cams set on a dedicated network segment and second NIC in a dedicated PC (that will run BI).

I'm looking for the best IP cams for the money without going overboard. I'm not cheap, I'll spend what is needed, I just don't want to waste money. I don't think I need 8K, 16K, 64K, 128K or 256K cams or
PTZ that has a built-in taser. (/Sarcasm) In other words, I'm more interested in a high quality purposed image (maybe/prob just 2K) with the best sensor that requires a reasonable amount of storage space
rather than having something with outstanding resolution that I can't really put to use and just burns CPU, bandwidth, space, power, etc. So, a mature and solid solution, not the bleeding edge resolution
just for resolution's sake. (If a "4K" cam is the best cam for a particular spot, fine.) IE: I saw a discussion where the hfw-1831e was better than the 4831 that seemed to go along with my way of thinking.
I think I am sold on the BlueIris app and I buy and configure refurb enterprise PCs all the time. Likely a solid solution for NVR. And since I want to use BlueIris or any decent standard NVR app, I can't
really use the Lorex Costco cams as I am reading they are dedicated to the NVR they come with and won't talk to BlueIris without trying to hack the firmware.

I prefer dome and turret style for better security, appearance, etc but bullet will work in some locations if that's the best option. Cameras by driveway/front door I would prefer to be more secure since they are easier to see and reach. Also, do you guys have a decent/simple design app you use to lay out the camera coverage design? Something like Google Sketchup perhaps that works well for you to document/visualize the layouts for discussion, etc.

In summary, I'm looking for informed thoughts on...

1. Best ways/sources to buy cams
2. Best way to share needs in the forum (and where) to get informed opinions without wasting a lot of everyone's time.
- Design tools to share layouts, etc.
- Are pictures of area desired/preferred?
3. Advice on specific cam choices based on locations, desires, etc. This would obviously be new threads, etc.

This is a longer intro post than I wanted but now you know me and what I need. I'm tech savvy and solid on everything surrounding the cams (install, networking, IT, most spec terms, etc). I've read/skimmed the Cliff Notes and Guide Threads. I'm looking for detailed specifics/advice regarding cam/nvr selection and config. There are simply too many cams out there to pick the best ones, even if looking at only one or two brands. Experience is key for that. Oh, and if they make a PTZ with a built-in taser, let me know! LOL

Thanks!

Rusty

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the best IP cams for the money without going overboard...

In summary, I'm looking for informed thoughts on...

1. Best ways/sources to buy cams
2. Best way to share needs in the forum (and where) to get informed opinions without wasting a lot of everyone's time.
- Design tools to share layouts, etc.
- Are pictures of area desired/preferred?
3. Advice on specific cam choices based on locations, desires, etc. This would obviously be new threads, etc.

This is a longer intro post than I wanted but now you know me and what I need. I'm tech savvy and solid on everything surrounding the cams (install, networking, IT, most spec terms, etc). I've read/skimmed the Cliff Notes and Guide Threads. ..
Welcome Rusty,

I think a lot of what you're inquiring about is covered fairly well in the cliff notes along with the ongoing discussions here. While there now are newer models out, the models listed in the cliff notes are still good cameras in general - and often the newer models are just updated versions of the models listed there. SouthernYankee has a nice list of models to consider in his welcoming note to new members - so you may want to search for it.

I would recommend picking up one Dahua OEM starlight / starlight+ camera and using it.

Here's a nice model worth keeping imho, you can always add other models later to your setup.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks, very helpful. That's pretty much a perfect reply. I saw some of that already but some of it I didn't and I'm not sure if I missed it or not. Again, big thanks.

Q: I guess Andy is the man! Is there a preferred purchase method that works best? (Several "stores" to use, which is best? If it matters at all?)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've used email and his Aliexpress store but prefer email in case I do anything dumb with the order -- he can reply back easily and let me know.

Reaction score
I've used email and his Aliexpress store but prefer email in case I do anything dumb with the order -- he can reply back easily and let me know.
Nice. I get such good service from Amazon that I'm hoping I can do Amazon with email discussion first, as you guys are suggesting. I don't like to waste seller time and revenue with returns if at all possible. I know that's hard on the seller.

Reaction score
So I went through all the material on this site, all the info on the entire Internet and read every review on Amazon all in the last 30 minutes or so.
Based on all of that gigaquads of info, which cam would you guys buy as a first cam to poke around with and test different spots and do initial evals on a test pole, etc? (Driveway, front porch facing door, etc with average 60-100W ambient light and/or testing in darkness.) You know, just like everyone, which cam is the "perfect" cam? LOL

IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2

Something Else?
(No way! I couldn't possibly be wrong.)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I went through all the material on this site, all the info on the entire Internet and read every review on Amazon all in the last 30 minutes or so.
Based on all of that gigaquads of info, which cam would you guys buy as a first cam to poke around with and test different spots and do initial evals on a test pole, etc? (Driveway, front porch facing door, etc with average 60-100W ambient light and/or testing in darkness.) You know, just like everyone, which cam is the "perfect" cam? LOL

IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2

Something Else?
The 2231t is a great place to start, Note that it does not have audio, if that is a consideration.
Or the Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-S Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2

Something Else?
Hi @RustyTheGeek

I concur with looney2ns - get a good varifocal model to play with. You'll learn more this way - and even if it is the only varifocal you ever get it will be useful in at least one place.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to find a motorized Ptz camera. I saw a hikvision on amazon, but can you know if it would work with blue iris without testing it?
This is just one of the first ones I saw.

Do you know of a better one? I was reading some stuff about it and I guess hikvision doesn’t let US customers update the firmware. I honestly have no idea might be bad info.
Many reviews of ptzs here on this site, use search. Study the Cliff Notes on a real computer.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.