Hikivision firmware 5.3.0

jaikai

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you unzip the firmware and just try it with the 'digicap.dav' file ?

Thanks for the links but when i try to upgrade my camera with Batch Upgrading i got message Upgrading Failed and nothing happens :(

user4545

n3wb
Reaction score
finally I was able to upload firmware but only new one 5.3.0 CN version. Now i can access through web browser and I have Chinese language :)
So what I have now possibilities to restore the English language?

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
finally I was able to upload firmware but only new one 5.3.0 CN version. Now i can access through web browser and I have Chinese language :)
So what I have now possibilities to restore the English language?
I'm waiting for that possibility as well. Hopefully the pros here can sort that out soon!

ivarsand

n3wb
Reaction score
The first thing you can do is check if English language files exist in the camera.

See if you can browse to http://<camera IP>/doc/page/xml/zh/Login.xml
That is a the Chinese language file for the login page.
If that page is mssing, my 5.3.0 camera has a different directory structure.

If that exists, try the English one http://<camera IP>/doc/page/xml/en/Login.xml
If the English transalation is there, it will probably be easy to switch language. Maybe using the Javascript trick.
If the Chinese is there and the English is missing you need to be able to add language files to the camera. Which is more difficult.

Anyway I find that doing configuration in Chinese with an English manual is very doable as long as I have configured a few cameras in English before.
I have a ptz camera with 5.3.0 where the English language files are missing. First ptz camera, so some of the setup is new to me. Still doable.

Very interested to know if English language files exist in any 5.3.0. If they do I hope someone could be so nice and send them to me.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The English 5.3.0 has an extra file IElang.tar this is where all the scripts and the xml files this is where the English files are kept in the root not IEfile.tar where it would normally be, now the easiest way to get English onto the Chinese 5.3.0 is to replace the files in the ZH file with the ones from the IElang file, but heres the fun bit you must Edit the en files so they are the same as the zh in size or it won't work, the day of the week will still be Chinese and the region will still be CN but the rest will be in English.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
The English 5.3.0 has an extra file IElang.tar this is where all the scripts and the xml files this is where the English files are kept in the root not IEfile.tar where it would normally be, now the easiest way to get English onto the Chinese 5.3.0 is to replace the files in the ZH file with the ones from the IElang file, but heres the fun bit you must Edit the en files so they are the same as the zh in size or it won't work, the day of the week will still be Chinese and the region will still be CN but the rest will be in English.
So how we go about trying to do that?
Please keep up the good work!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Slowly, I have already started on the files testings as I go so far I have completed a few just to test and to prove if works and it does, the reason the mtd hack does not work is that the new 5.3.0 cameras have been stripped of the English files, so when the camera boots as En there is no files for it.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
Slowly, I have already started on the files testings as I go so far I have completed a few just to test and to prove if works and it does, the reason the mtd hack does not work is that the new 5.3.0 cameras have been stripped of the English files, so when the camera boots as En there is no files for it.
They are trying really hard to stop us from doing this, aren't they?

davo22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Whoslooking,

How are you repackaging the 5.3.0 digicap.dav file with changed/added files etc?

When I extract and repack just using the same files(using the hiktools program), the new file does not get accepted. It fails at the flashing part.

Cheers Davo

frost

n3wb
Reaction score
5.3.0 implements Hikvision's new secure password policy. Use the latest version of the SADP discovery tool to activate the cameras using a secure password of your choice.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Whoslooking,

How are you repackaging the 5.3.0 digicap.dav file with changed/added files etc?

When I extract and repack just using the same files(using the hiktools program), the new file does not get accepted. It fails at the flashing part.

Cheers Davo
I've not had a repacking issue, as long as I keep the digicap.dav from the original as the header. But again checking the repacked size is as the original.

eangulus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excuse me, but I am new to this so I just need some clarification.

First, lots of people are saying there is no 5.3.0 English firmware to get the English files from. How about checking the Hikvision global English site? There is 5.3.0 English firmware there.

Secondly the tool to change chinese to english, if the problem with 5.3 is that there are no English files inside, then why can't we use the same tool, use on English firmware and change it to think its Chinese firmware. This way we have English files, that think its chinese.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
Excuse me, but I am new to this so I just need some clarification.

First, lots of people are saying there is no 5.3.0 English firmware to get the English files from. How about checking the Hikvision global English site? There is 5.3.0 English firmware there.

Secondly the tool to change chinese to english, if the problem with 5.3 is that there are no English files inside, then why can't we use the same tool, use on English firmware and change it to think its Chinese firmware. This way we have English files, that think its chinese.
I did posted the link to English firmware at the beginning of the thread. The problem is: Because this is a Chinese version camera, you cannot just flash the English firmware on it. More knowledgable people can shed more light on the tool. If you are happy to use your camera as the test, please go ahead and let us know the result.

ivarsand

n3wb
Reaction score
I extracted the language files from the English 5.3.0. Many thanks to hiktools!
Created a web site with language files and used Fiddler, a http/web debugger, to route all languge file requests to my language site.
With a few lines added to the Fiddler script, my Chinese version firmware now speaks English. Or actually any language you select from the multi language firmware.
Camera is still chinese with chinese week day and region flag, but easier to cofigure and use when Fiddler is running.
I will happily explain the details if anyone are interested.

ivarsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry the firmware is unchanged. This works for the camera web pages. I use Fiddler, running on the computer accessing the camera, to intercept calls to language files and route them to my language web instead of the language files in the camera. My web returns the language I set up.
If Fiddler is not running, it becomes chinese as usual. No changes to the camera. No new firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ingenious!
So are you going to make your website internet-accessible and fix the whole world's Hikvision camera language problems? That would be good.

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I extracted the language files from the English 5.3.0. Many thanks to hiktools!
Created a web site with language files and used Fiddler, a http/web debugger, to route all languge file requests to my language site.
With a few lines added to the Fiddler script, my Chinese version firmware now speaks English. Or actually any language you select from the multi language firmware.
Camera is still chinese with chinese week day and region flag, but easier to cofigure and use when Fiddler is running.
I will happily explain the details if anyone are interested.
don't you see,this was doneimmediately after the appearance ofthe Chinese versionof the firmware.

the result is not published as the day of the week is still in Chinese

Last edited by a moderator: