Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi whos looking

Do you have a step by step guide on how to do this , i have a 2032 which will only work with firmware Chinese 5.2.5 and language mismatch in my uk nvr
All the info is here in the forum, it split across a few post.
What parts are you stuck on? The first place to start is learning how to mount the camera to your PC, then using telnet to copy mtd5 & mtd6 from your camera onto your PC.

phil

n3wb
Reaction score
hi yeah i have putty tftp and ivms and have setup the nas share folder and have done the iefile tar.gz edit & copy to get english in ivms , is there a mtd tool i need to download ? or do i do it with commands in putty ? what else do i need ?

Ive not touched mtd files and do not know the command lines so im looking for a guide i can follow from start to finish is you can help ?

Last edited by a moderator:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mount

cd /mnt/nfs00

To copy the mtd files

cat /dev/mtdblock5 > temp5
cat /dev/mtdblock6 > temp6

Change the flag bytes using HxD editior,
Then putting them back with the changed block:

cat temp5 > /dev/mtdblock5
cat temp6 > /dev/mtdblock6
Reboot

phil

n3wb
Reaction score
cd / mnt/nfs00 does not work needs to be cd /mnt/nfs00

phil

n3wb
Reaction score
No Problem, it did throw me for a minute lol

this has been so much appreciated (this guide should be a sticky)

just done all 3 of my ebay china cams to 5.2.5 with this mtd 5 & 6 method.

My 1 2032 uk ipcam just updated from 5.2.3 to 5.3.0 en with out a hitch

All working sweet with a uk hik 7604 ni se/p nvr on 3.0.10

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to clarify here....I have some Chinese 2032's that were manufactured since Jan-2015 with 5.2.8....I downgraded to 5.2.5 Chinese and did Network Camera Critic's hack to make it 5.2.5 English (except for day of week)..I've been wanting to get the day of the week to English..Would these be a candidate for doing the hack in this thread in order to make the day of the week in English?

I ask because while exploring the files, my mtd5 is just like yours, however my mtd6 is different (where you changed "57" to "58", mine displays "4D")....Here's my mtd6 file:

Attachments

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the pictures on the 1st post show 1 way of changing the flags, from 2 to 1 for the language then you must increase another bit by 1 to keep the checksum the
same, try the day of the month 1st IE if it's 20150416 change it to 20150417 you have to do this , on both mtd5 and mtd6 files.
Send them back to the camera and reboot Day of week now English.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I get it. That works! Thank you so much!!

One other quick question...Can I send the same modified mtd5 and mtd6 files to other cameras? or do I have to repeat the whole process for each camera?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No only use the mtd file for that camera, you will have issues using it on another camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The mtd5 and 6 hold camera-specific information such as the model code and the Ethernet 'MAC address', so that would not be a good thing to duplicate on another camera on the same network, as a duplicated MAC address would stop the ability of one of the cameras to communicate.
The MAC address is bytes 35-3A on mtdblock6

phil

n3wb
Reaction score
I did my 3 china cams this way with china 5.2.5 fw , and i did it separately for each as some had different values, it works fine so I would suggest you do each one to save any risk of bricking

Can not see any difference at all on my uk nvr from my 3 china cams on 5.2.5 with whoslookings mtd 5 & 6 mod and my 1 uk cam on 5.3.0

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So many people wanted this to stay a secret, but then all that would mean is other people suffering, why should a select few make money off the rest, the whole point of this is not for profit, yes I make my money from the security industry, an industry that has always over charged it's customers and under paid it's staff but the one thing I have given is support where possible, a little help cost nothing.

phil

n3wb
Reaction score
The cats out the bag & respect for that . As some people would of milked it for as long as they could

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cats out the bag & respect for that . As some people would of milked it for as long as they could
To true next one will be the smart features, from 4series loaded onto the 2 series cameras as this issuse is just hidden in the davinci file

Brenner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... but the one thing I have given is support where possible, a little help cost nothing.
Thank you so much again. Hope you can find the HEX for the multilining in the future. By the way, I have no problem to donate for your work!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you so much again. Hope you can find the HEX for the multilining in the future. By the way, I have no problem to donate for your work!
All I ask, is we all share what we learn. So far i have gone through, IEfile from 4xxx and 2xxx compared It's not there.
It's not in mtd 1 > 9, devinci decompressed points to CFG files but at moment Im unable to locate these files location on the camera, these maybe compressed into another location.