v5.3.6 151105 - Working
v5.3.9 170109 - Working
v5.4.3 160808 - Working
v5.4.3 170123 - Failed
v5.4.3 170217 - Failed

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm definitely beginning to suspect that the camera model is involved in whether it works or not. Although at this point there could be a cutoff point in the build date -- that is how I've organized the list.

Thanks

Last edited:

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to add the code generator didnt work for my NVR using SADP, however I was able to use the code on the NVR itself using the hidden button on the bottom left.

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes SADPtool does not cooperate with the code. But it works in ivms-4200

asra2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I have hikvision camera that I could reinitialize the password with the program posted by Mr bp2008, this program allowed me to change the password of each camera but it does not allow to change the password of the NVR, so I have no access.
can you help me in this subject?

thank you.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this also mean, that anyone who is ( somehow ) connected to the same network, can easely get access to your ip camera's ?

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tested, and worked on:
5.3.0 build 150513
5.3.8 build 151224
Thank you very very much.. this will save me a lot..

Curley89

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately this tool hasn't worked for me. I'm trying to reset a used DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A but get a failed error. Software version is 3.x.x. I do not seem to have the hidden button to reset directly from the NVR but I do have a 'Forgot Password' link, when I click this I have the option to import a file to reset the password.

Can anyone advise a work around for this or do I definitely need to contact Hikvision if it is asking to import a file to reset?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this tool hasn't worked for me.
The backdoor it uses is for cameras, not NVRs.
Software version is 3.x.x.
Can you be more specific about the firmware version? SADP will show that for you if you are unsure. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
I do have a 'Forgot Password' link, when I click this I have the option to import a file to reset the password.
You would have had to have exported the GUID file as your safety net - it's one of the ways to do a self-service password reset, along with the 'security Q&A' method.

One way to do a 'reset to defaults' is to carry out a tftp update to (ideally) the same firmware as already installed, as shown by SADP.
So, a suggestion:
As your NVR is an -NI version, plenty of firmware version choice here : (unfortunately the Hikvision EU portal is down right now, but this should be OK : NVR)
Download the same version as shown in SADP.
Use the Hikvision tftp updater tool from the second link here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Save it in the same folder as the firmware you downloaded.
Change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128 , ensure it uses a wired (as opposed to WiFi) connection.
Start the tftpserve.exe program, cliick 'OK' at the Windows firewall prompt.
Power cycle the NVR, watch the tftp updater status window.
Hopefully see an 'update completed' message on the tftp updater window.

Reboot the NVR, into an 'Inactive' state as seen by SADP, activated by applying your own choice of strong password via SADP.
If all that doesn't work, set the PC IP address to 192.168.1.128 instead of the 192.0.0.128 and repeat.

Good luck!

And if that works OK - do the 'Forgot password' process so you can self-service reset next time.

Curley89

n3wb
Reaction score
Great information, I appreciate it. I read NVR in the OP’s first sentence and assumed it applied for them too.

I had packed everything away when I posted and couldn’t remember the exact version off the top of my head.

The reset to default is definitely the way to go as I’ve bought a used NVR and I’m waiting for the previous owner to get back to me about the password or file to reset.

I’ll be sure to run through your steps and update you tomorrow. Thank you.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have ever locked yourself out of a Hikvision camera or NVR by forgetting the admin password, and had to beg Hikvision or anyone else for an unlock code, you will appreciate this. I present a small tool that lets you generate your own unlock codes which can be entered into SADP to reset the admin password on any of your Hikvision cameras. This tool is written in HTML/CSS/JavaScript so it runs in any modern web browser and you can view the complete source code easily.

///////////////////////////////////////
Update (September 13, 2017)

It is now possible to reset passwords on some cameras that won't work with the reset code tool, by exploiting a backdoor that was recently made public.

I've built a tool for that. It only works with cameras (not NVRs. If you need to reset an NVR, try the tool further below):

GitHub - bp2008/HikPasswordHelper: A tool which exploits a backdoor in Hikvision camera firmwares circa 2014-2016 to help the owner change a forgotten password.

Thank you for this, this is awesome.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Works for V5.4.1 build 160525. Thanks. Saved me some headaches with a new-to-me cam.

One thing that threw me off a little as an Hikvision newb was that on the later cams the new password needs to meet the required mixed upper/lower/number character requirements in order to do the reset. The default 12345 that comes up in the tool won't work and fails as if it's unable to reset it. Might want to add a note under the password entry box to explain that.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Works for V5.4.1 build 160525. Thanks. Saved me some headaches with a new-to-me cam.

One thing that threw me off a little as an Hikvision newb was that on the later cams the new password needs to meet the required mixed upper/lower/number character requirements in order to do the reset. The default 12345 that comes up in the tool won't work and fails as if it's unable to reset it. Might want to add a note under the password entry box to explain that.
Ah, I had no idea. Can you show me via a screenshot exactly what the error message looked like? What would an appropriate default password be?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, I had no idea. Can you show me via a screenshot exactly what the error message looked like? What would an appropriate default password be?
Created a new user to test. Admin failed in the same way.

Capture.JPG

Again, I'm an Hikvision newb but I don't think that there is a true default now. They require that the password be set on first login. Should be able to reset it to anything that meets their "strong password" criteria as below (i.e., minimum 8 characters, combination of at least 2 of upper case/lower case/numbers):

Capture2.JPG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping the error message would be more specific than that. So if I understand correctly "12345abc" would work as a default password?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping the error message would be more specific than that. So if I understand correctly "12345abc" would work as a default password?
Survey says...

Capture.JPG

Might go with 12345Abc just to cover all bases.