Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I poor night quality

Reaction score
Hi, I have two DS-2CD2142FWD-I camera's. During daytime, the quality is excellent. However, at night, the images are very dark and blurry. See the change in quality below.

Can anyone recommend any settings that might improve the night vision, or any other HikVision cameras such as ultra-low light camera (ds-2cd2135fwd-i(s))

Attachments

Reaction score
Its not so much a camera settings as it is the type of camera you are using. Dome cameras in general do not perform well in some outdoor environments due to the dome collecting dirt and water spots and the IR from the camera at night is reflected back into the lens. Try cleaning the dome inside and out and see if you get the same results.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any settings that might improve the night vision
The dome is vulnerable to flare from refracted bright IR light entering at acute angles, such as that you have from the close wall that's in the field of view.
You will see some improvement if you angle the camera away from the wall such that the bright reflection is reduced.

You will get good results from a turret-format camera such as a DS-2CD2335FWD-I from both the much improved low-light capability and the lack of the dome giving flare due to reflections, dust, rain spots and scratches.

I'd be very cautious in cleaning the dome.
The image quality is remarkably sensitive to even the very small surface scratches and haze that can result from cleaning attempts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the DS-2CD2142FWD-I is not a hikvision darkfighter camera and will have problems at night unless you have a lot of light.

:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Reactions: mrv

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having same issue with a darkfighter bullet. DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS-P. Looks blurry at night as if it's not focusing right.

Maybe the Scottish weather lol
Your issue is unrelated to the op. Post a proper full size image.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post full size picture with people in it. Or at least a car. A wet street shows absolutely nothing.

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Less wall, clean the dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a tree or something to the left? It looks like something is reflecting the IR Light back into the camera on the left. There is way too much wall in the pic, but the IR light is not bouncing back off the wall. As others have mentioned, make sure the dome is clean and scratch free.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, see if you can reposition the camera, but do it at night time so you can figure out less glare while moving it.