HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - some pics and first impressions

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

I had read the Noctua fix and I think I will be trying that. Quick question though, if I understood correctly you cut the stock fan's cable and just hook up the noctua to it? If so, how are you joining the cables? Twisting and electrical tape or some other, more sofisticated, fix? Sorry, not much of an electrician :p

I tried a Logitech mouse yesterday and it gives me some errors and doesn't work consistently. I have a couple of others that I will try today and see what happens

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did not notice that. I'll look. Everything seemed to be exactly the same.
The PSU cover went back on.
The screws went back into the PSU chassis. No difference that I recall. Except it's silent and the NVR has shown no ill effects of a different airflow. I think it flows equally as much if not more.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Although the Noctua would be better. I can't help but think just modding it and installing a 120mm fan is the way ahead. The CFM / Noise of a 120mm is probably 20x that of a 40mm fan.

Scythe 120mm fans are good, not sure about 40mm fans sorry.
Yes, ideally a 120 mm fan would be great, but I'm thinking it could be overkill. Also, one would need to know how to cut metal and I wouldn't even know where to start.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

I had read the Noctua fix and I think I will be trying that. Quick question though, if I understood correctly you cut the stock fan's cable and just hook up the noctua to it? If so, how are you joining the cables? Twisting and electrical tape or some other, more sofisticated, fix? Sorry, not much of an electrician :p
The Noctua comes with the new "lead" with the connector that you attach. It has multiple pin adapters as well for various applications.
In my case with my Hikvision 7608 I: (running from memory here)

• Removed Case.
  • Removed PSU cover
  • Unscrewed Fan
  • Unplugged it from PSU board. That is a little tight for fat fingers.
  • Cut the two wires half way up on the
  • Use it's included snap on greased wire connectors to attach the supplied new lead with the correct pin connector to the cut wires.
  • Pinched it together..
  • Screwed fan in to PSU, You need to break off a very small "plastic retainer" that covers a slot that the wires pass over and lay in so they lay under the PSU chassis as you screw in the fan. Some situations don't need this I suppose so they have that little piece covering it.
They have excellent instructions and adapters. Really a great product. Took about 10 minutes.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at again at pics of the PSU. The gap left by a thinner fan such as the Noctua would be covered by the NVRs cover. However, even a small gap would be detrimental to the cooling as the fan would just suck air from the gap instead of through the PSU. Given that the fan flows less than the stock fan I would think you want as much airflow as possible. Not a big issue but a thought to keep in mind.

120mm fan is heaps bigger than the tiiny 40mm. However, because of it's sheer size the blades can move more air at less RPMs so they'll be silent. The HDD will be louder at this point, you'll be able to hear the guts of it working.

If you replace the fan I recommend soldering them and using heatshrink, maybe cutting them away from the mains side. Whatever you do, don't touch anything else inside. Especially the big capacitors.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, ideally a 120 mm fan would be great, but I'm thinking it could be overkill. Also, one would need to know how to cut metal and I wouldn't even know where to start.
Yeah fair enough. I mod my PC cases so am happy to do that!

Great thing about 120mm, 500 is silent, 750rpm near silent, 900rpm quiet. Those 40mm fans in the Hikvision are like 2000rpm+ 120mm fans, that would be an overkill!

Can you fit a 60mm fan in? It'd make a huge difference in sound.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you replace the fan I recommend soldering them and using heatshrink said:
In my opinion that is unnecessary but to each their own. This was a simple fix that works. I kept it that way.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those 40mm fans in the Hikvision are like 2000rpm+ 120mm fans, that would be an overkill!
The stock fans are 8200rpm, which is almost double of the Noctua at 4500rpm. And just for reference, stock fans flow 9.43CFM and the Noctuas I believe are 4.8CFM.

The fan in the NVR are temperature controlled so they don't go full tilt until it gets a bit warm. But do they scream when you hook them up to 12v outside of the unit, sounds like a mini jet.

I reckon anything other than a 40mm would be heaps better.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One last comment. Mine is a Warranted NVR purchased from B&H with a 3 year warranty. This is a fully reversible mod should warranty work ever be needed. That was a factor in my choice. Best of luck.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my opinion that is unnecessary but to each their own. This was a simple fix that works. I kept it that way.
Those joiner things you get with the Noctuas are ok, they'd be easier for those less technically skilled.

You get a better connection with soldering, and more protection with the heatshrink. Beats twisting the wires together and tape.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The stock fans are 8200rpm, which is almost double of the Noctua at 4500rpm. And just for reference, stock fans flow 9.43CFM and the Noctuas I believe are 4.8CFM.

The fan in the NVR are temperature controlled so they don't go full tilt until it gets a bit warm. But do they scream when you hook them up to 12v outside of the unit, sounds like a mini jet.

I reckon anything other than a 40mm would be heaps better.
Good info to know 40mm 8200rpm will be louder than 120mm 2000rpm for sure. Time for me to mod it! :)

If you keep the unit cooler than the PSU will also be cooler, so the fan in that will run cool.

- - - Updated - - -

One last comment. Mine is a Warranted NVR purchased from B&H with a 3 year warranty. This is a fully reversible mod should warranty work ever be needed. That was a factor in my choice. Best of luck.
You are voiding the warranty if you do this as it's running outside the manufacturers recommendations and settings. You know this though. If you are asking whether you could be dishonest should the worst happen. Well that's up to you but we don't support that around here.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is why I'm interested in this solution too.

I'm over here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NQLT0M/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I see there are several connectors included. Just to be clear, all I would need is to use one of the pictured supplied connectors to connect to the Noctua Fan? I don't have to cut the wire on the original fan, just remove it, meaning it can go back in as it was if I have to put it back in there?

Sorry if my question is dumb, but I'm a noob with electrical stuff. What does "pinching wires" mean?

Lastly, will I be able to achieve this with a screwdriver and scissors or do I need other specialized tools?

Thanks again for the time and help!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to cut the wire either way as they don't give you the same connector as the stock fan.

So I don't see how it is reversible without being obvious.

If you want to track down those little connectors the stock fan uses you could just find some from somewhere and splice them in, plug and play affair.

Otherwise I'd just solder the fan directly to the board on the opposite side. (I'm not saying you do this, more so of another option without cutting the factory fan wires).

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. It isn't very reversible then, but it has to be better than listening to the stock fan. I'm still interested in doing this then. I would love to be able to track down the connectors though so I can cleanly remove the stock fan.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only other option is to power the fan externally, IE off the HDD power outlet using a piggyback adapter thingho.

This does mean the fan will be on full speed all the time.

Not sure if that HDD power is ever switched off for whatever reason i.e. sleeping drive.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be honest, it doesn't seem like the stock fan has levels. It sounds like it is running at full speed all the time, which is why it is so noisy. I don't hear variation in noise/rpms.

The other thing is that the air coming out of the unit is surprisingly cool. There wouldn't seem to be a need for it to be running so fast.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OMG I just logged on to B&H to check their warranty for you guys and am amazed by the prices. You'd be better off buying one from somewhere else and if it broke buy another one with the amount they are charging. $250+ for a DS-2CD2332-I? We don't even have to pay that in the UK and we have to pay 20% tax on everything.

Anyway, back on track. I would check your warranties guys: All items sold by B&H are warranted solely by the manufacturer/distributor

In other words. Your 3 year warranties are probably worthless if you tried to claim on them. Got to love B&H using the small print. I note they do say "Limited 3-Year Warranty" on the product.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be honest, it doesn't seem like the stock fan has levels. It sounds like it is running at full speed all the time, which is why it is so noisy. I don't hear variation in noise/rpms.

The other thing is that the air coming out of the unit is surprisingly cool. There wouldn't seem to be a need for it to be running so fast.
If you use most of the POE ports the fan probably is maxed out or close to it. It is variable speed though, you can test it if you really want. Unplug the cameras from the POE ports and fire it up, if it is not too warm already you'll barely hear it.

I'm not too sure if the fan speed is only temp controlled or maybe load controlled too. The fans will speed up straight away from having no cameras on the NVR to having one on its POE ports.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 cams on PoE, but I will run the test because if I remember correctly, it has always been at full speed.