Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware

rrk

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry i did not see your reply -- that link you sent to 5.2.8 firmware appeared to un brick it at least i can log in to a chinese screen and look at a picture ssh also works. still can not get english menu's to appear. i followed the hiktools instructions and set lang 2 as it was a chinese camera. what would you recommend i do in pursuit of english menu's?

thank you
rob

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as you are. tried both variable but still getting chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry i did not see your reply -- that link you sent to 5.2.8 firmware appeared to un brick it at least i can log in to a chinese screen and look at a picture ssh also works. still can not get english menu's to appear. i followed the hiktools instructions and set lang 2 as it was a chinese camera. what would you recommend i do in pursuit of english menu's?

thank you
rob
RRK, I found this little work around to get english menu working again on 5.2.5 I believe it should work for 5.2.8 as well.

Just follow the video to the T, pause when you can't keep up. :) Instead of clearing your browser cache, It's faster just to use "Ctrl, F5" a couple time and it will update the menu option to select english. Did this on 2 cameras and works wonderfully.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RRK, I found this little work around to get english menu working again on 5.2.5 I believe it should work for 5.2.8 as well.

Just follow the video to the T, pause when you can't keep up. :) Instead of clearing your browser cache, It's faster just to use "Ctrl, F5" a couple time and it will update the menu option to select english. Did this on 2 cameras and works wonderfully.

It's easier to perform the mtd hack than this hack, but you can use this trick and Hiktools to make your own custom 5.25 firmware.

rrk

n3wb
Reaction score
It's easier to perform the mtd hack than this hack, but you can use this trick and Hiktools to make your own custom 5.25 firmware.
ok i will try the mtd hack -- the DS 2DF 7284 has a different firmware structure than what was described in the other hack with the login script
on the 2DF there are two firmware dir's dav0 and dav1 both have a singe file called firmware.tar.gz the ie.tar.gz is embedded within the firmware.tar.gz
the login is there. i'm not sure about the reason for two copies of the firmware-- anyone know?
thank you
rob

scav

n3wb
Reaction score
does this method works with 2CD2335 camera on 5.3.6 firmware ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no.
That camera with that firmware has quite different hardware and firmware architecture, with encrypted components, no longer able to be unpacked / repacked with this version of Hiktools.

scav

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, so how china sellers are making multilanguage china hikvision cameras with 5.3.6 firmware. (i have one).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
They are using modified firmware sourced from some smart people who have managed to bypass the protection, figure out how the firmware works and how to add in the language support.
Reverse engineering for profit.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok, so how china sellers are making multilanguage china hikvision cameras with 5.3.6 firmware. (i have one).

Ask your seller to provide you with a copy, then share it on the forum, then we'll give you answer ;-)

pauldee007

n3wb
Reaction score
Massive thanks to wzhick and whoslooking, I have a HIK DS-2CD2232-I5 from china, got it up on the wall, all working fine, then decided to fiddle with the firmware, looks like many have done the same. Bricked it within a week! Thanks to you guys, its fixed after i though id killed it for good. I used the downgrader dav file but had to use the hiktools file to change the language to 1 first. This is the bit that took me the time to figure out because i though that the downgrader dav file would go straight in... Many thanks guys, happy days :)

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seller of 5.3.6 cameras refused to send me firmware file. It is top secret

Ippo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am very sorry to post this. I am trying to restore my 7604 NVR. first I have bricked it and then I online friend helped me with a .dav file but for 7118. I have went to the Chinese site and downloaded and installed a 76xx firmware v3.4.6. I am getting Chinese language. I have modify the file using hiktools and changed it to "1" but the NVR is still in Chinese. I have going to the European site and attempted to install "NVR_K41_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.2_160226" but NVR is still Chinese.

What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a 7716N-E4/16P NVR, currently with 3.0.10 firmware (in English). It lacks various features I think are useful, and I'm thinking about upgrading it, using this hiktools lang changer. Are there any risks of bricking the device or ending up with Chinese interface that I should know about? Any suggestions (or link to walkthrough) on minimizing the risks? What firmware should I go for? 3.4.6?
Thank you!

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no experience on the 77xx models, but on the DS-76xxNI-Ex models if the NVR accepts firmware that is marked Lang=1 (English) then the NVR will stay in English with any English or ML firmware load. If the NVR only accepts FW with Lang=2 then the NVR is a Chinese region NVR and any FW after 3.4.0 will cause the NVR to revert to Chinese. The 77xx models may be similar.

Reaction score
Thank you, mine is Chinese. So, the latest update which is good is 3.4.0? Or even earlier -3.3.4? Is this version (3.3.4) stable and recommended (comparing to 3.0.10)?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3.4.0 works for me on my Chinese NVR (interface is English). And is stable. Any higher FW and it switches to Chinese. I couldn't get it to email me anything but then again on my other English 76xx English NVR I couldn't get emails working with 3.4.0, 3.4.2, nor 3.4.6. I can get the IPCs to email me, just not the NVR. I think you'll be ok up to 3.4.0. If it reverts to Chinese then you'll need to open the box, connect a serial UART cable, and restore 3.0.10 to go back to English.

bezz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi every one,
Does this method works with 2CD3Q10FD-IW camera on 5.3.0 150513 firmware ? If not does it have some think to do ?
Thanks