Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware

Brenner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But there is no multi line detection in 5.2.x

S474N

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you mean with "multi line detection"?

Blackbox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
i am new here. Have the camera Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW. Shall need the firmware 5.2.5 Build 141201. Can anyone help me, pleace?

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you mean with "multi line detection"?
Line Traversal is a feature in later firmware, and what it does is allow you to configure a virtual line with a direction for movement. When movement matches the configured direction and that movement crosses the virtual line a pre-configured action happens(alarm, notification, recording). I believe at one point up to 4 lines were configurable in the 2XXX cameras and up to 8 lines on the higher up cameras. In the next firmware release Hik scaled it back to 1 configurable line presumably because 4 were taxing the CPU too much as it was having to do a significant amount of analysis.

Anyway, thats what I think he meant by "multi line detection".

Cheers

Brenner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, thank you.

I cant see any power (cpu) difference (login with telnet and use the top command) between 1 line and 4 line.
I think to reduce this function cause of marketing/commercial aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is quite a big (I've seen 40%) difference in the CPU utilisation when the smart analytics are enabled.
When the CPU is approaching full utilisation video streaming can suffer.
Can you post some utilisation examples, with the camera also in a normal usage scenario by supplying a recording stream or 2 and motion detection, and confirm the associated CPU info.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I´m afraid of downgrading my 5.2.5 china cam without any successstory written here.
I have been using 5.1.6 on a couple of 2332's for a while with 2~3 line detections enabled with no issues, cuts way down on the false motion detections.
For anyone concerned about playing with the firmware and there cam changing to all chinese dont despair you can easily access
english menu by using: "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")", of coarse this will not work if you brick it!

Make a short cut in IE with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL (I call my short cut "English") when you are at the main login screen
(or if you are already logged in) just click on your "English" short cut, all menus will be in english until you log out.

I have 2 chinese only cams that I have not bothered to upgrade because clicking the button is to easy.

Brenner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Good to know.

But I´m not afraid of chinese menues, I´m afraid to brick the cam with the "Dropbox" Firmware.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using tftp is a safe way to try 5.1.6
This firmware is safe and tested it won't brick your camera, the worst that will happen is a shutdown loop, If that happens your camera is one of the newer 5.2.x camera's. To fix the loop just re tftp 5.2.5 back to the camera.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been using 5.1.6 on a couple of 2332's for a while with 2~3 line detections enabled with no issues, cuts way down on the false motion detections.
For anyone concerned about playing with the firmware and there cam changing to all chinese dont despair you can easily access
english menu by using: "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")", of coarse this will not work if you brick it!

Make a short cut in IE with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL (I call my short cut "English") when you are at the main login screen
(or if you are already logged in) just click on your "English" short cut, all menus will be in english until you log out.

I have 2 chinese only cams that I have not bothered to upgrade because clicking the button is to easy.
Bear with me. If the camera IP address is 192.168.1.80 then how would the browser shortcut be formed?

Like this: 192.168.1.80:javascript:chooseLanguage("en") ???

Please elaborate.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make 2 separate shortcuts, one with the cam address (192.168.1.80) and one with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL. Click on the cam address shortcut which will bring up the main login screen (in Chinese) then click on the Java shortcut, it will change to English, then login as normal and all menus will remain English until you log out.

If you have multiple Chinese cams you only need one Java English shortcut and it will work with all your Chinese cams.

Brenner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using tftp is a safe way to try 5.1.6
This firmware is safe and tested it won't brick your camera, the worst that will happen is a shutdown loop, If that happens your camera is one of the newer 5.2.x camera's. To fix the loop just re tftp 5.2.5 back to the camera.
Yesterday a new 2332 with 5.2.0 (manu. 12/2004) arrived and I do a stupid TFTP with your digicap and IT WORKS :)

I also have have a 2332 with 5.2.5 (Manu. 01/2015). Is this a loop candidate?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make 2 separate shortcuts, one with the cam address (192.168.1.80) and one with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL. Click on the cam address shortcut which will bring up the main login screen (in Chinese) then click on the Java shortcut, it will change to English, then login as normal and all menus will remain English until you log out.

If you have multiple Chinese cams you only need one Java English shortcut and it will work with all your Chinese cams.
This works well. Thank you very much.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday a new 2332 with 5.2.0 (manu. 12/2004) arrived and I do a stupid TFTP with your digicap and IT WORKS :)

I also have have a 2332 with 5.2.5 (Manu. 01/2015). Is this a loop candidate?
It could be, just try it not all 01/2015 will loop, if it does just go back to 5.2.5

Reaction score
Hi whoslooking, first of all thanks for sharing the firmware files you have modified. I have a DS-2CD3410FD-IW model Chinese language IP camera (v5.2.3) and I tried your v5.1.6 and v5.2.5 but I'm having "Resend reguired" message 3 times then TFTP tool says "Completed file ... transmit" and camera boots up, however, it changes nothing on my camera. If it helps serial no of my camera is DS-2CD3410FD-IW20150402AACH510936353 and it seems to be quite new. I don't know where to start to fix this language issue. Can you please give me a hand? Thanks.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's they way you are connecting to the camera with tftp,
Use 2 network cable via a network switch. I had the same issue with one of my laptops.
my 5.25 will only work on a 01/2015 camera.
But the 5.16 will work.

marvel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi whoslooking, I have tried to use the hiktools to convert my Chinese NVRs to English console menu but comes out with unreadable characters on the menu. is there any chance you can help create or provide instructions? Thanks.
Models:
DS-7204HW(I)-SH, DS-7604N-SHT/P (similar/same to DS-7604NI-SE/P), DS-8632N(I)-ST

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hiktools utility can change the language flag on a firmware file so that it would not be rejected by a camera or NVR with a 'Language mismatch' error. This would allow you to load an EN or ML firmware file.
But it does not change the language flag that's configured within the flash memory of the camera or NVR.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I would be unable to test them, as I don't own those models, but as Alastair has said It wouldn't change the region of the NVR only the language,

Using hiktools is very easy, you only need to find the correct EN ML baseline firmware and change the flag of the firmware to 2
Like this in Command

Hiktools digicap.dav
Hiktools Lang digicap.dav 2

The update the nvr either with tftp or via a usb.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi whoslooking, first of all thanks for sharing the firmware files you have modified. I have a DS-2CD3410FD-IW model Chinese language IP camera (v5.2.3) and I tried your v5.1.6 and v5.2.5 but I'm having "Resend reguired" message 3 times then TFTP tool says "Completed file ... transmit" and camera boots up, however, it changes nothing on my camera. If it helps serial no of my camera is DS-2CD3410FD-IW20150402AACH510936353 and it seems to be quite new. I don't know where to start to fix this language issue. Can you please give me a hand? Thanks.
I just checked this model it's not the same as others as it has protected cramfs, but can still be made to en ml with mtd5 & mtd6 hacks.