HIKVISION mtd Brick Recovery Guide

snoop69

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how to fix the camera. Can I open a dispute on aliexpress? The seller did not warn me before buying, I can not flash new firmware.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No As you received the camera it was working when you received it, you played with the firmware, you should have known that it would be a chinses camera, first ask the supplier for the firmware most are happy to send it.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you didn't modify the mtdblock5 & 6 files to cause the bootloop - you don't need to replace them.
I think your best approach to fix this problem is to use the TFTP recovery method to install an earlier firmware version.
Which version will work OK depends to some extent on when your camera was manufactured, so maybe a couple of attempts with different firmware will be needed.

Instructions and Hikvision-specific TFTP server here:
http://www.hikvision.com/europe/down...re.asp?id=1336
It must be the Hikvision-specific Windows TFTP server (Says Hikvision TFTP Server in the window title bar) because the camera does a Hikvision-specific handshake with it before it will use it.
The digicap.dav firmware file needs to be placed in the same folder as the tftp executable, and the PC must have a static IP address of 192.0.0.128
All very specific.
And best not to connect the camera and PC directly with a network cable - wire each into a router or switch with their own cable. The router and switch doesn't have to be isolated from the normal network.

Now you need to pick a firmware version to try.
As a start maybe the 5.2.3 from here: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Cameras/DS-2CD2xx2/
Plenty more in that list.
If it works - the camera will likely display in Chinese, as you have replaced the original seller-modified firmware which will have been tweaked to show English.
So if / when you get to that point - plenty of threads on the forum here to deal with that.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I thought I'd add some information to the mix to see if we can figure out the issues with 5.3.0.

I just received a DS-2CD2432F-IW camera. Original FW was 5.3.0. Camera came with 5.2.5 multi-language with English as its default. When I ssh in and prtHardInfo the lang flag is 1. When I dump mtdblock5/6, both show the language flag as 2. This is my first 5.3.0 cam and right now I don't dare change anything (yet). Normally I'd update the mtds to lang flag = 1 so I can freely upgrade and downgrade FW while remaining English. I'm guessing I probably could still change the MTD lang flags to 1 (preserving the checksum of course) but I can't see a good reason to do so since 5.3.0 actually has less features (like a protect shell, no telnet, etc.). I'll test it later today on my NVR and hope I don't see the "language mismatch" error (which I don't think I will).

So someone has figured out how to downgrade 5.3.0 cams to 5.2.5 and make them English. Would be nice to know how this is done.

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm also facing the same issue. Where can I find the mtd5 and mtd6 files if I have not backed them up? When I telnet into 192.0.0.64 into the tmp folder, it was empty when I list the directory. Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The mtdblock5 & 5 are data segments stored in the flash memory of the camera, they can be addressed as /dev/mtdblock5 and /dev/mtdblock6
The folder /tmp is a transient folder re-created at each startup.
If you didn't change the mtdblock5 & 5 - are you planning to make some changes to fix a problem?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
camera bricked
OK, what did you do to it?
What firmware version and date shows on the label, and what firmware did the web GUI show as installed?

and TFTP also not work
The TFTP server that has 'Hikvision TFTP server' in the windows title?
The digicap.dav in the same folder as the tftpserve.exe ?
The PC IP address=192.0.0.128?
Both the camera and the PC wired to a router or switch (not directly connected)?

What shows in the TFTP status screen when you power cycle the camera?

Instructions and software tool here:
http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336

Oasiz37

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, what did you do to it?
What firmware version and date shows on the label, and what firmware did the web GUI show as installed?

The TFTP server that has 'Hikvision TFTP server' in the windows title?
The digicap.dav in the same folder as the tftpserve.exe ?
The PC IP address=192.0.0.128?
Both the camera and the PC wired to a router or switch (not directly connected)?

What shows in the TFTP status screen when you power cycle the camera?

Instructions and software tool here:
http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336
I have exactly the same problem. I'm very new to all this, so I was naive enough to assume firmware update wouldn't be any different from an update of any other gadget. The sticker on my DS-2CD2032F-IW camera says 5.3.0, but in web interface it said 5.2.5. I didn't realize there's something wrong there, so I've tried updating the camera with 5.3.0 from Hikvision site, now it's bricked. I've followed recovery instructions, set my PC to 192.0.0.64, etc. TFTP server, upon power-cycling the camera stopped after displaying "Complete file [C:\Auto Update\digicap.dav] and hung there. Documentation says there should be 4 more lines, kernel updated, root file system updated, jffs2 file system made, and update complete - none of these ever appeared, no matter how many times I've tried/waited.

I've bought the camera on Ebay.

Thanks!

onetech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Come back to 5.2.5 by tftp procedure or do mtd hack.Search in the forum

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
set my PC to 192.0.0.64
That's the address the camera will be using, PC should be 192.0.0.128. (but maybe a typo as you have said the tftp server does transmit the file)
Are you using the Hikvision TFTP server, the one with 'Hikvision tftp server' in the window title? Others will not work, the camera performs a handshake with it.

This should work just fine - try the firmware from here:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English?highlight=downgrader

Oasiz37

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the address the camera will be using, PC should be 192.0.0.128. (but maybe a typo as you have said the tftp server does transmit the file)
Are you using the Hikvision TFTP server, the one with 'Hikvision tftp server' in the window title? Others will not work, the camera performs a handshake with it.

This should work just fine - try the firmware from here:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English?highlight=downgrader
I made a typo in my initial comment, the PC address was 192.0.0.128. Anyway, the downgrade worked!!! Not sure, if the difference is in the firmware or TFTP program, but I've restored everything.

THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

rexasso

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

It is my first message in this forum after reading a lot :)
And just to say MANY MANY thanks.

I purchased a 2132F-IS with 5.3 in the sticker but 5.2.5 in the system. I immediately apply an upgrade and then brick my cam (all tftp with any firmware stucks in complete translmitting)

I contact the Ali seller but he did not want to support nor send firmware

I apply the procedure of page 1 and tftp 5.2.5 proposed. It runs perfectly as just out of the box. I even retreive french menu.

Thanks a lot

Merlik

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I've got the DS-2CD2732F-IS, and iI bricked it by a SW update. I tried severall SW's original it was 5.25 by trying to flash it to 5.30 it got bricked.

It seems to me that the webserver is shut down. when I logged on with putty I got following message:

(none) login: root Password: login: can't chdir to home directory '/root/'

Has anyone an idea how I can start the webserver on the cam.

bsrg

Last edited by a moderator:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, you have tried to load the 5.3.0 firmware before doing your home work. now use the downgrader in my signature to restore your camera back to 5.2.5.

Remember Camera's with firmware 5.2.5 / 5.2.8 at this moment can't get to any higher firmware without going to min-system.

freetiger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW camera (from Ali..) and I've made mistake to update the firmware with the v5.3.0. I've tried to downgrade with "Hikvision TFTP Server" to v5.2.5 but the process never ends (I have waiting 20min..). Here is the log :

[2015-07-23 00:13:06] TFTP server [192.0.0.128] initialized
[2015-07-23 00:13:35] Device[192.0.0.64]test tftpserver
[2015-07-23 00:13:44] Connect client success [192.0.0.64]Success
[2015-07-23 00:13:44] Start file transmitting[E:\Hikvision\Hikvision tools\Auto Update Tool\digicap.dav]
[2015-07-23 00:16:34] Completed file[E:\Hikvision\Hikvision tools\Auto Update Tool\digicap.dav] transmit

So, where is the problem and what can I do ?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW camera (from Ali..) and I've made mistake to update the firmware with the v5.3.0. I've tried to downgrade with "Hikvision TFTP Server" to v5.2.5 but the process never ends (I have waiting 20min..). Here is the log :

[2015-07-23 00:13:06] TFTP server [192.0.0.128] initialized
[2015-07-23 00:13:35] Device[192.0.0.64]test tftpserver
[2015-07-23 00:13:44] Connect client success [192.0.0.64]Success
[2015-07-23 00:13:44] Start file transmitting[E:\Hikvision\Hikvision tools\Auto Update Tool\digicap.dav]
[2015-07-23 00:16:34] Completed file[E:\Hikvision\Hikvision tools\Auto Update Tool\digicap.dav] transmit

So, where is the problem and what can I do ?
Thanks
you need to stop the tftp after it is completed and wait. give it atleast 5-10 minutes and it should reboot. if it does not then power cycle it.

Merlik

n3wb
Reaction score
@whoslooking
I tried the downgrader. The indication in the TFTP windows signals everything ok - system update completed

But when I look on the 2 green LED inisde the cam I see they switch off in a certain time.

And when I logged in the cam with putty I can't see the indication BusyBox.

I receive only this indication:

(none) login: root
Password:
login: can't chdir to home directory '/root/'

brgs