Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The fisheye is different than the rest. I believe that many of the auctions on ali for the 4mp cameras indicated that the firmware is upgradeable.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The fisheye is different than the rest. I believe that many of the auctions on ali for the 4mp cameras indicated that the firmware is upgradeable.
So I guess the question if that fisheye cam is hackable

Reaction score
I'm guessing the color is the only difference. The black portion of the one may be plastic instead of metal?
I've never owned any Hikvision cameras in the past. Is that part of the face usually metal? I'm surprised they would only make that face black as opposed to the entire exterior if that is the only difference.

I'm wondering the same thing, I asked the same question a couple of days ago. I'm curious, if the black or white color is the only difference are there any pros or cons or opinions? Also, it sounds like it will still be a few weeks before these models are available from Milkisbad.
It's possible that the black face could help reduce glare but I wonder if it is significant enough. And maybe the larger black part contrasts against the white body and makes it more noticeable to potential intruders? Regardless, I'm leaning towards these black colored ones unless there are other features from the white one that we are unaware of at the moment.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe the black face was just a customer request type of thing with no other actual differences. I asked about this once before myself and I believe that was the answer anyway.

As a positive thing, my first small shipment of 4mp cameras from @milkisbad showed up today. Only some, I tried to order a bunch more but they were trying to spread out the first shipment as they did not get a ton. I need a bunch more, and I also need the turrets to show up soon. I'll get a few of these installed ASAP on different projects around the office. Here is a beauty shot on my workbench. :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hahaha, nice photo there @Razer, but I don't want to see cardboard... lets get some cameras in that shot :)

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These are the CIMP8242 cameras form LTS, the Hikvision 4mp bullet camera. Literally exactly identical to the Hik 3mp cameras with no changes at all. I have no easy way to get good sample shots right now I'm just pointing it out a window and testing it in the dark server room. So far it is working great, reacting to light well and really good nightvision so far. I've literally only played for 15 minutes or so here but liking it just fine so far!

Here is a Hik 3mp bullet I had sitting around for comparison, no changes at all. I did note that the IR LEDs are very clear on the new LTS where they are lightly cloudy in comparison on the older Hik. Not sure if that was a change or just normal for IRs as they age maybe, I've never looked or noticeed this before and would not have if they'd not been side by side for this photo. I don't use IR so I will not notice if there was any change anyway.

Attachments

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I was curious because back in the day I had an expensive VCR recorder (about 500$) that would record like a week of video on 1 normal VHS tape. It did exactly what I needed it to do at the time, considering what tech was available. The video was quite jumpy because it was only recording a certain amount of frames to extend the recording time of a basic VHS tape. It was great tech back then, but as I said before, I see alot of people talking about recording at 15fps, 6fps, etc and I was thinking that's just gotta be so jerky it's crazy. I guess I'll learn more once my 4mp dahua shows up. Thanks for the input and help, I will watch the videos you posted, I was going to do a search for video comparisons yesterday, but I like asking questions, haha.
Your welcome, I hope my info helps.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, are the new 4MP Chinese cams hackable to English language?
If you are worried about the firmware and or you are the kind if person like me that likes to keep your firmware updated then stay away from the Chinese cams. If its more important to save money then stay updated on the firmware then by all means get the Chinese cameras.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe the black face was just a customer request type of thing with no other actual differences. I asked about this once before myself and I believe that was the answer anyway.

As a positive thing, my first small shipment of 4mp cameras from @milkisbad showed up today. Only some, I tried to order a bunch more but they were trying to spread out the first shipment as they did not get a ton. I need a bunch more, and I also need the turrets to show up soon. I'll get a few of these installed ASAP on different projects around the office. Here is a beauty shot on my workbench. :)

Show off, lol. I only need a few of those cameras. All kidding aside, I need the Turrets also, When should they be in?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you are worried about the firmware and or you are the kind if person like me that likes to keep your firmware updated then stay away from the Chinese cams. If its more important to save money then stay updated on the firmware then by all means get the Chinese cameras.
I am not new to hacking my Chinese Hikvision cams. I have done on all of them, my question was whether the hacks available still apply to the new crop of these 4MP cams.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not new to hacking my Chinese Hikvision cams. I have done on all of them, my question was whether the hacks available still apply to the new crop of these 4MP cams.
I heard that Hikvision is getting smarter and they are starting to encrypt there firmware so people like use cant hack it so easy, If that info is correct then good luck with your hacked firmware. Plain and simple, If you like to stay updated on the firmware then purchase the right camera for your region. This Chinese vs US has been beat to death on this forum. I for one will spend the extra money for the US version not to have any trouble updating firmware.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Razer - Thanks for the update photos of the cams. I certainly can't tell from exterior the difference between the two.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Show off, lol. I only need a few of those cameras. All kidding aside, I need the Turrets also, When should they be in?
Ha! I ordered more of the 4mp bullets a little bit ago and I had to give up and order more of the 3mp turrets as they are not sure when they will be in yet it seems. I was down to just one turret left on my shelf and was holding out for 4mp but gave up lol. You are even in NJ, you need to give @milkisbad a call, that is where he is at I believe. I actually connected one of the 4mp bullets to my DVR halfway across the country in his NJ office to make sure it would work for me. Worked perfect, and got to record some NJ footage on my DVR, pretty neat actually.

@ruppmeister - Yes, these are identical cameras just with LTS branded firmware on them. Login screen says LTS and not Hikvision and I think there is a menu color difference in the firmware if I'm remembering correctly. LTS is blue colored and I was thinking my Hiks are red? Otherwise they are the exact same firmware and you can TFTP Hik firmware on there if you desire.

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
razer.. with 20 of them.. tftp 1 with the 5.3.1 software and let me know how it goes.. just got mine running :) and dont want to risk it :)

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Razer whats your business mate... who has 900 cameras :) lol... Have you installed every one of those??

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are the CIMP8242 cameras form LTS, the Hikvision 4mp bullet camera. Literally exactly identical to the Hik 3mp cameras with no changes at all. I have no easy way to get good sample shots right now I'm just pointing it out a window and testing it in the dark server room.
CMIP8242W? 0.01Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON), 0 Lux with IR, Support H.264 Zip+
http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/cmip8242w.html
Which firmware is on them?
I'm wondering if they will work at 3MP with the DS-7608NI SE8P...

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha! I ordered more of the 4mp bullets a little bit ago and I had to give up and order more of the 3mp turrets as they are not sure when they will be in yet it seems. I was down to just one turret left on my shelf and was holding out for 4mp but gave up lol. You are even in NJ, you need to give @milkisbad a call, that is where he is at I believe. I actually connected one of the 4mp bullets to my DVR halfway across the country in his NJ office to make sure it would work for me. Worked perfect, and got to record some NJ footage on my DVR, pretty neat actually.

@ruppmeister - Yes, these are identical cameras just with LTS branded firmware on them. Login screen says LTS and not Hikvision and I think there is a menu color difference in the firmware if I'm remembering correctly. LTS is blue colored and I was thinking my Hiks are red? Otherwise they are the exact same firmware and you can TFTP Hik firmware on there if you desire.
Thanks for the info, Ya I will have to find out where milk is located and maybe I could just go pickup my new 4MP cams:D As for the test recording to your DVR, I am sure you meant NVR, Right? What NVR do you test this out on from milks office? Also please post your 4MP camera setting after you install them & tune them to your liking. I would also like to see some footage from one of the 4MP cameras. I personally have no problem keeping the custom branded firmware as long as milk has a means to provide current firmware for us to download. Also you say we can update his firmware using TFTP, Is this the only way or can we use the web interface of the camera to update the firmware?

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Razer whats your business mate... who has 900 cameras :) lol... Have you installed every one of those??
I would like to no this as well:D I would also like to live there because with all those bullet cameras installed I guess there are no spiders, Spiders just love the IR's from these cameras. Where I live and starting out with the bullets I will never do that again. Turrets for me from now on.

update: Gee wiz, I forgot Razer does not use the IR's but I will keep this post for anyone that did not know this info. With this thread being 300 post long and growing its hard to remember everything that's been covered:numbness:

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to no this as well:D I would also like to live there because with all those bullet cameras installed I guess there are no spiders, Spiders just love the IR's from these cameras. Where I live and starting out with the bullets I will never do that again. Turrets for me from now on.
So why is it that bullets attract spiders but turrets do not?