Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check this tread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1413-New-Hikvision-Bullets-DS-2CD2T32?p=40684#post40684

With respect to your last question, the answer is yes.

Thanks JackBauer for the question and aster1x for the answer. I've been curious too. I'm wanting to replace 1.3MP Foscams (4mm lens) with 4MP Hikvision or Dahua. If I went with a 2.8mm lens at 4mp I should have as good, maybe better clarity as the 1.3MP with 4mm? The middle of my street is about 50 feet from the camera, the sidewalk about 33 feet. I'm not really expecting license plate recognition but face recognition would be nice. I'm assuming the field of view is close to the same on different cameras with lens of same size?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use tons of Hik cameras and for outdoors I personally would not use anything wider than a 4mm lens. The 4mm view is incredibly wide already and really 2.8 would be overkill outside. I might do a 2.8 to cover my front porch or something but shots across a yard or average exterior shots would be best suited to the 4mm.

I installed a 2.8 in a small room yesterday, by small I mean maybe 8ft by 6ft and I could see all my walls with ease and even directly below the camera when in the 3mp mode. The shot was amazingly perfect for my needs and I use them in these small rooms all the time with great success and they are much better than the 4mm of another brand that was there before. Outside though that extra wideness of view does not help, I do not want more sky, and how wide a shot do I really need? If you need the widest possible view then 2.8 is the way to go, otherwise the 4mm is still wide enough that there is curvature (barreling) to the shots of streets and fence lines. 2.8 would only make it worse, but it might be perfect depending on the scene you're trying to catch.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got an email from Milkisbad. ETA for him to carry these is August 17th!
That is great news, What models will Milkisbad be carrying? Also are the cams US version or hacked English firmware?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is great news, What models will Milkisbad be carrying? Also are the cams US version or hacked English firmware?
His cams are never hacked-they are US cameras...looks like he will have all the popular models turret, mini dome, dome, bullet, varifocal dome...

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use tons of Hik cameras and for outdoors I personally would not use anything wider than a 4mm lens. The 4mm view is incredibly wide already and really 2.8 would be overkill outside. I might do a 2.8 to cover my front porch or something but shots across a yard or average exterior shots would be best suited to the 4mm.

I installed a 2.8 in a small room yesterday, by small I mean maybe 8ft by 6ft and I could see all my walls with ease and even directly below the camera when in the 3mp mode. The shot was amazingly perfect for my needs and I use them in these small rooms all the time with great success and they are much better than the 4mm of another brand that was there before. Outside though that extra wideness of view does not help, I do not want more sky, and how wide a shot do I really need? If you need the widest possible view then 2.8 is the way to go, otherwise the 4mm is still wide enough that there is curvature (barreling) to the shots of streets and fence lines. 2.8 would only make it worse, but it might be perfect depending on the scene you're trying to catch.
I have to agree with you, I use a 2.8 on my front porch but everything else is 4mm. This does a great job.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
His cams are never hacked-they are US cameras...looks like he will have all the popular models turret, mini dome, dome, bullet, varifocal dome...
That is great news, My wallet is open and ready to order as soon as he gets them in.

Thanks...

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use a 2.8 to cover my driveway and the front street as I live in a cul-de-sac. Every other camera is 4mm for me.

onetech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bad news ! Hik are removing crossing line in the new 4mp ?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Can Dahua cameras work with Hikvision Windows ivms-4200? Is there free alternative for Dahua such as ivsm-4200?

onetech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For me best solution is Milestone Xprotect.Is easy to find a open version

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
For me best solution is Milestone Xprotect.Is easy to find a open version
You mean Xprotect Go? I am not sure I am ready to switch. I've been using Hikvision IVMS-4200 for all my 7 cameras for the past 2 years and it's been good enough. Just was curious if Dahua might work with Hikvision software or if they have free option similar to ivms-4200.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can Dahua cameras work with Hikvision Windows ivms-4200? Is there free alternative for Dahua such as ivsm-4200?
No ivms is exclusive to hikvision...Dahua has PSS, which is the equivalent to ivms.

Reaction score
I just looked at the specs for the DS-2CD2142FWD-I(S) and it does not indicate it has (PTZ) so as fair as I can tell it is not "motorized" if you want that then look at the-
DS-2CD2F42FWD-I(W)(S) it has (PT) http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_512_i5612.html This camera does not look like its IP66 rated so indoor use only.
I wonder if he meant this model which has motorized pan/tilt and is IP66:
DS-2CD2142FWD-I(W)(S)
http://overseas.hikvision.com/uploadfile/image/20150513121241461.PDF

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
I have to agree with you, I use a 2.8 on my front porch but everything else is 4mm. This does a great job.
Razer and MrFixit, do you have any shots of your 4mm and 2.8mm you could send our way? I might consider doing a 2.8mm at the front door as both of you suggest and then 4mm or 6mm for the other areas.