Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you guys are talking about POE Switches, here is a switch I think I'm going to install in an upcoming project.
http://www.netonix.com/ws-12-250-ac.html
I initially was going to install a couple Ubiquiti Tough switches into my in-laws farm shop in Yuma AZ.
Thats until I saw someone talking about this on the Ubiquiti forums.
I rather install one switch instead of multiple ones. I wish they made a 16 port tough switch.
They do make a 16 port thats even rack mountable http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-ToughSwitch-Managed-Carrier-TS-16-CARRIER/dp/B00CXU9ZOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439155204&sr=8-1&keywords=ts-16-carrier Its almost 100.00 more then the Netonix you posted, I have never heard of Netonix, Could you post a link to the thread on Ubiquiti forums where they talked about this switch? Hmm I just took a closer look and this looks like its just two ToughSwitch Pro 8 ports put together so it would need two Cat5e/6 to use the full 16 ports, Not the same as what you posted for the Netonix. Sorry but I will leave my post just in case you or anyone else was unaware that Ubiquiti had this 16 port option.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Boy that is some nice picture, Cant wait to get mine. Could you post your camera setting? Are they all at default 50% or did you modify any of them?
My FPS is set at 6, brightness is set to 60 everthing else default.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
North Jersey but the cost of living here is a killer. I grew up here and hate to the aria but money is not what it use to be.
Yep born and raised in Hillside myself.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anybody has any insights into the availability of the DS-2CD2742FWD-I(S)? Does milkisbad have a website?
He does not have a website that I am aware of however he is getting some of these 4MP cameras very soon. I will be ordering from him just as soon as they arrive. Just post a request for a catalog in this thread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at?p=41318#post41318 and let him know your looking for the catalog that includes the new Hikvision 4MP cameras and he will PM you with the info. If he does not catch that your looking for the catalog for the new 4MP then after he PM you the catalog you can reply to his PM and request the 4MP Catalog:D

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry misread. I just have the resolution set as such. My turret is the 3mp version here it is in 2MP mode
Thanks for sharing your footage but I have to ask, Am I missing something here? I am really not trying to sound like a jerk but you say your running in 2MP mode because you don't need the sky shot when running in 3MP mode, So what happen to the 4MP mode? If your only going to run these 4MP cameras in 2MP mode then y did you purchase the 4MP cams?? Like I said not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to understand & maybe learn something with your answer.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That cam is a 3MP not 4. One of the advantages having more MP'S then you need is you can make many adjustments to include fov based on megapixels. It's one of the tricks I learned on here with Hikvision cams especially with a fixed lense.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's easier to have more than you need and be able to make adjustments then to purchase a lesser mp camera and have a customer not be happy for not much more price per camera. The house on the right side of picture, I installed full Hikvision 8 camera 3MP system that the homeowners love. Then I adjusted each cameras field of view manually and digitally to there liking!

dsmith6

n3wb
Reaction score
The TS-16-CARRIER was the switch to get until I read the manual and they just hook the two up. wa waa waaaaaa
I can't find the exact post that turned me on to these switches, but if you punch in Netonix on their community forum search you will find a bunch of posts.
Here is a good one. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Hi-any-one-used-the-Web-Switch-12-250B-by-Netonix/m-p/1188898#M37165
This Switch is going to power my cameras and the NBE-5AC-19 that will be part of the PTP link back to the Main Building(NVR).

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He does not have a website that I am aware of however he is getting some of these 4MP cameras very soon. I will be ordering from him just as soon as they arrive. Just post a request for a catalog in this thread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at?p=41318#post41318 and let him know your looking for the catalog that includes the new Hikvision 4MP cameras and he will PM you with the info. If he does not catch that your looking for the catalog for the new 4MP then after he PM you the catalog you can reply to his PM and request the 4MP Catalog:D
@milkisbad does have a web site, http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ is where he works. The Hik cameras are the "Platinum Series" of cameras, but there is no pricing on the site so just have him send you the catalog and it will have the pricing info. The site is nice to look at all the other things he can help you get besides Hik cameras though at least.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
bp2008, Have you ever used this device that you recommended? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWVYG50/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IS9M9JWL4DERW
The only reason I am asking is because I tried a few of these from Amazon with no luck, I did not try the one you posted though. So then I went searching and came across Carl site NetworkCameraCritic and ended up purchasing these from WrightWood and they work great http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=318
I have not used that particular device but if I thought it would not work I would not have linked it.

Also when it comes to PoE switches I cant stand or for the life of me understand y manufactures give you only half PoE ports on there switches, So you purchase an 8 port switch and only 4 ports are PoE and the other 4 ports are wasted so I would rather spend the extra mony and get a switch that supports both PoE and none PoE on each and every port like this switch does http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJ5NCW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I3U4MA4DWBUGAP
That is simply a matter of choice. PoE on all the ports is more expensive. It requires more power and generates more heat, which often requires a larger switch. The one you linked does not look bad, and it is even gigabit speed.

http://www.netis-systems.com/en/products/PoE-Switch/942.html#.VcczpiZVjdc
Just plug in the device and the switch handles the rest, No configuration needed, I have not used this switch but I have heard very good things about it. I do use an 8 port tough switch in my detached none climate controlled garage becouse it gets very hot in there in the sumer and very cold in the winter and all the other light duty PoE switches I tried in this environment had trouble http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-TS-8-PRO-ToughSwitch-Advanced-Controllers/dp/B00CXU1NHY
I have a few 5 port toughswitches from back when I ran a bunch of aircams. The 5 port version did not support 48 volt PoE, and besides they would not boot up when they were hot. Probably a minor defect caused that. Anyway any standard-compliant 802.3af PoE switch will be plug-and-play. Ubiquiti switches are not!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys are these cameras still the current 4mp cameras?
Is there any other coming out soon?

I want to ensure I don't buy this if its about to be obsoleted.

I was thinking of the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS.

Is it true hikvision is being removed from Aliexpress?

How come I see more 3mp cameras sellers on ali than 4mp?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
These 4mp cameras are still so new they are hard to obtain. I would say Hikvision is not being removed from Aliexpress. Maybe certain sellers will no longer sell Hikvision cameras there, but as long as it is profitable for Hikvision cameras to be sold there, someone is going to do it.

There are more 3MP camera sellers because the 3MP cameras have been around for years while the 4MP cameras are only a month or two old.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there are also some h.265 cameras coming out of Hikvision soon, if one of the aliexpress listings is to be believied. But I would not buy those just yet because of compatibility.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where is everyone buying their 4MP cameras from?
I have my order in with @milkisbad as he goes by here on the forum as mentioned above. Prices are just as good as AliExpress it seems and there is actually a real live warranty!

Yes the LTS cameras are normal Hiks with custom firmware, basically just login graphic and I note that my cameras are set to 60hz and not 50hz for lighting which is good as that is standard for my needs. Otherwise if there are tweaks they are minor. You can also load regular Hik English firmware on there via TFTP no problem but other than testing that to make sure I've not messed with that usually as I have no need to cause myself issues by upgrading a perfectly good working camera! :)

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my order in with @milkisbad as he goes by here on the forum as mentioned above. Prices are just as good as AliExpress it seems and there is actually a real live warranty!

Yes the LTS cameras are normal Hiks with custom firmware, basically just login graphic and I note that my cameras are set to 60hz and not 50hz for lighting which is good as that is standard for my needs. Otherwise if there are tweaks they are minor. You can also load regular Hik English firmware on there via TFTP no problem but other than testing that to make sure I've not messed with that usually as I have no need to cause myself issues by upgrading a perfectly good working camera! :)
He already sent me their latest catalog with pricing, and I'm going back and forth with him on the new 4MP cameras and when they'll be out!

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My FPS is set at 6, brightness is set to 60 everthing else default.
Thanks for the info, Are you using WDR and if yes whats both your day and night setting for it? Also y are you running only 6fps and not 15fps? I am just trying to learn something here. I run all my cameras at 15fps but if your explanation makes sense to me I mite change my fps. I do know that 30fps is real-time and 15fps is perceived real-time.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That cam is a 3MP not 4. One of the advantages having more MP'S then you need is you can make many adjustments to include fov based on megapixels. It's one of the tricks I learned on here with Hikvision cams especially with a fixed lense.
Well that would explain it, I just assumed it was 4MP because this is the 4MP thread. Could you tell me what model 3MP camera that is? Sorry if it has already been posted on this thread but this very interesting thread is getting big. Also how high up is this camera mounted?