HiWatch and SV3C

RG58

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the process of moving to an IP based system from a very old analogue DVR with some 12 cameras. I have purchased a HiWatch NVR 216M-A. I have set up two old GeoVision cameras to work with it ok but the problem is with a new 5MP SV3C camera. I can see it on the nvr, it will record permanently but for the life of me, I cannot get it to record on motion.
Anyone any ideas?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see it on the nvr, it will record permanently but for the life of me, I cannot get it to record on motion.
How is it connected to the NVR, ONVIF or generic RTSP?

If ONVIF, it may be that the camera does not generate ONVIF event notifications, not all ONVIF implementations do, or it's using a different 'ONVIF port' from what's configured in the NVR.
The very useful app ONVIF Device Manager will give lots of useful info.
It automatically finds any ONVIF devices on the same IP address range as the PC.
Give ODM some valid logon credentials, top left of the window.

Any events issued by the camera will show in the Events page.
Also check out the Rules page to see what's available.
The 'ONVIF port', which isn't always 80, can be seen in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have place all my SV3C cameras in the garbage, because that is where they belong.

For NVR and cameras it is strongly recommended to use the same manufacture for the NVR and Camera. If you mix , you loose compatibility and advance features.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Dingoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the process of moving to an IP based system from a very old analogue DVR with some 12 cameras. I have purchased a HiWatch NVR 216M-A. I have set up two old GeoVision cameras to work with it ok but the problem is with a new 5MP SV3C camera. I can see it on the nvr, it will record permanently but for the life of me, I cannot get it to record on motion.
Anyone any ideas?
I have a warehouse that uses SV3C cameras (B08POE-5MPL-A) on a Trend Net NVR (TV-NVR416). Both are cheap and under-powered, but they use one of them to record motion and had to use the Hikvision protocol when connecting the camera to the NVR. Granted the NVR is different, but worth a shot.

RG58

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help above. I am afraid using Hikvision protocol did not work and I returned the camera. I am now in the process of deciding what Hikvision or HiWatch cameras to buy. Southern Yankee is correct - there seems no point in trying to do it on the cheap.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And as Southern Yankee points out - it is best to match manufacturers or you may be in the same situation regardless of how good the NVR or camera is!