How Do I Use A Dahua Camera With A Hikvision NVR?

kos_cn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @kos_cn

I suspect you do not want to downgrade the firmware.

Probably something else going on?

Are you attempting to connect Hikvision DVR to a Dahua NVR to each other??
Yes, you are right!
Hikvision DVR without HDD, actually I have 3 of them. And I need to record a video in one device (Dahua NVR with HDD) via RTSP.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you are right!
Hikvision DVR without HDD, actually I have 3 of them. And I need to record a video in one device (Dahua NVR with HDD) via RTSP.
Can you setup the DVRs to output ONVIF spec rtsp?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understood you right.
My "onvif device manager" remote connected to DVRs corrected.
Does the DVR output ONVIF spec video streams?

Remember ONVIF must be set on both the sending devices ( typically cameras ) and the receiving NVR ( Dahua OEM in this case ) for each video stream.

kos_cn

n3wb
Reaction score
Remember ONVIF must be set on both the sending devices ( typically cameras ) and the receiving NVR ( Dahua OEM in this case ) for each video stream.
Thank you, very much!
I reboot my DVR and everything is working. Unfortunately, I didn't have opportunity to do it before.

Ioannislyt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Hikvision 7604 nvr and a dahua vto doorbel. I tried setting the ip via web login and config tool in dahua but doesnt work on nvr. On nvr i used the onvif port 80 the ip i set on dahua (192.168.254.x x=several number while i was trying it). Any good idea on that please? I didnt manage use the onvif tool though

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the camera on the LAN, or on an NVR POE port?
Either way - the first thing you need to ensure is that the camera is on the same IP address range as the NVR (either it's LAN interface, or it's POE interface) is using.

What is the IP address of either the NVR LAN interface, or the NVR POE channel you want to plug the camera in to?
What is the IP address of the camera?

Here is an example of a Dahua camera, connected to the LAN, working on a Hikvision NVR -
View attachment 32104
How were you able to change the NVR NIC IP address to be on 192.168.1.x subnet?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
How were you able to change the NVR NIC IP address to be on 192.168.1.x subnet?
By using the Dahua config tool. With my Hikvision NVR the address in 192.168.254.X. So, after I am done making the changes to the camera I want, I change the address of the camera to the one I want for the NVR. Then I plug it into the proper NVR and also make sure the that port is ONVIF and manual mode.

th3bloody9

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I struggled getting a Dahua camera to work on a Hikvision 7608NI-K2 NVR (firmware V4.71.005). I think I figured out why people are running into password errors. The Hikvision NVR only seems to accept a max password length of 16 characters for the cameras! My Dahua user password was set to > 16 characters and it wasn't working at first.

Configuring the NVR via the web browser interface gives no indication that the password has a character limit. It was only when I tried configuring the camera directly on the nvr I noticed that it wasn't let me enter any more than 16 characters for the password. I created a new user on the dahua cam with a shorter password and bingo it worked :)

I couldn't understand why it wasn't working at first because I was able to get the camera stream up and running in VLC and the tinyCam android app just fine using the exact same settings as I was using on the NVR.

Now it's worth noting that I'm using an RTSP stream via custom protocol. Here's the settings that worked for me:

1. On the NVR I created a custom protocol with the following settings:

Main Stream:

• Protocol: RTSP
  • Transfer Protocol: Auto
  • Port: 554
  • Stream Path: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
Sub-stream:
  • Protocol: RTSP
  • Transfer Protocol: Auto
  • Port: 554
  • Stream Path: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

2. I added the camera by using 'Adding method: Manual' and selecting my custom protocol.

Other things worth noting is that on my Dahua cameras Onvif has its own separate username/password and this can only be set via Onvif Device Manager. It cannot be set via the web GUI for some strange reason.

I didn't use Onvif as the Dahua camera I was adding is actually remote and I couldn't use Onvif Device Manager. I used RTSP instead and the authentication for that is using one of the cameras regular user accounts. I'm guessing that Onvif will also have the 16 character password limit.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My Dahua cameras only have a 9 character password. They work just fine on my Hikvision NVR's using ONVIF. However mine are not remote.

Reaction score
I think I might have an answer for some of you. I've not tried this yet, but..

when you first set up the Dahua camera you enter a password. This is used for the web ui as well as onvif. However, the user/pass for the nvr to access onvif doesn't have to be the same, so if you change the web password, you also have to change the onvif user/passwd too if you want them to be the same.

----

I tested this on my friend's Hikvision NVR and new Dahua camera that the NVR said has a bad password. I added a new account called "onvif" to the onvif users in security, and then the camera worked.

Last edited: