How many cameras everyone running?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious as to how many everyone is running? Have 8 cameras ready to go up soon.

1 front door turret, 2 turrets covering driveway, 1 rear turret or bullet and 1 bullet on each sideyard.

overkill?

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's never to much cameras!
Currently I have 10 cameras running.
I have a few (more than a few) that I haven't installed yet, but when I finally will install them I'll be running 18.
And.. That's my next 'problem' as my NVR only has 16 channels.

So, i'm looking at either buy a 32 ch NVR or to start experimenting with Blue Iris.

In my case I mainly use the cameras to see what's going on on my little farm, to see that the animals has water/food and to make sure they're where they should :)
My wife loves the cameras as when she's in the bed at night and hear noise from the stable she no longer need to either worry about it/ or o out and see what's going on, just pick up her phone and check the stable cams.

Edit/Addition: I'm a Dahua guy and so far my favorite cameras are the SD59432XA-HNR that I've been running since a year, a few weeks back i also picked up the 7442H-Z4 - to describe it in short its just Insane! =)

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently 18 with two more to be added next month. Eventual total will probably be 24. Three front of house, two lower front yard, two on each side yard, three on rear of house, three internal, three on parking and outbuilding. Additional being added next month for a straight shot down the driveway and a "sky cam". Future adds for additional entryway coverage and blind spots in the back yard as needed.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’m up to 23 with another one in the box needing to go up. Two are LPR, two auto tracking PTZ, and I just came up with a few other spots I want coverage. It’s addicting for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious as to how many everyone is running? Have 8 cameras ready to go up soon.

1 front door turret, 2 turrets covering driveway, 1 rear turret or bullet and 1 bullet on each sideyard.

overkill?
So, for the Front of the house - it will depend on the construction, I see the following as a good start

For a house with an attached garage

1 camera on each side of the garage at door height (2)
1-2 cameras covering the front door area (2)
1 camera on each side of the house, to cover the sides (2)

So I expect 6 cameras covering the front of a house to be a good starter setup.

add 1-2 cameras if you want to cover the street / mailbox by the street.

add 1-2 camera if you want license plate captures at night.

Reaction score
Just 8 cameras? Amateur. :cool:

I have 13 outdoor PoE cameras (with two more soon to be installed), 7 indoor WiFi cameras, plus 4 Wyze cams (one to watch the doggie door, one as a neighborhood "virtual watch" demo, one to monitor my wife's garden, one as a backup for my front door).

My outdoor cameras include one PTZ and two LPR cameras. Just last weekend I supplied my neighbor with the license plate of the vehicle driven by the door checkers who stole his truck (key left in vehicle). Unfortunately, that vehicle was also stolen, so no useful lead there.

Strangely enough, I still feel the need to buy / upgrade more cameras. :)

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have 29 currently. 21 outside, 3 in the house, 1 in crawlspace to watch the water line, 3 in garage, 1 in the backyard shed. Most people don't understand it, but I've always been a bit of a camera nerd.
My favorite was when some new people moved in down the road. They asked my neighbor if “that security guy is approachable or friendly”. People say I’m nuts for them all but then later ask about a system for their home!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My favorite was when some new people moved in down the road. They asked my neighbor if “that security guy is approachable or friendly”. People say I’m nuts for them all but then later ask about a system for their home!

Something tells me, that few of your neighbors will be letting their dogs leave "gifts" for the lawn mower in your yard... :)