How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have other camera models?

If so, the issue is the webplugin.exe is different for several different models but is all called the same thing.

I have to download the different version if I open up different models.

Since I have the most of the 5442 series, if I change a different camera model that requires the download again, I just open up BI when I want to look at the live video if all I am doing is making a simple change. Otherwise the next time I open a 5442 camera, I would have to download again.
After extensive time installing combinations on 6 of my cam's I found 1 download that works with 5 of them. The 6th one that doesn't work will need a FW update to be the same as another of the same model which does work.

I appreciate the feed back, SOLVED.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like most all of newer cameras that ive bought in the last 1.5-2 years from EmpireTech or Amcrest stopped insisting on a plug-in... I'm ruining Windows 11 with Palemoon or Chrome....or Edge,,,or Chrome with IE tab,,,,
(edit: lol I probably am Ruining Windows 11 :) )
One of my 6, no matter which plugin at the time was installed, always worked. It's probably time to re-evaluate for all new FW updates.

tlp123

n3wb
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows if Dahua has any plans to support modern browsers with their so called modern yet retarded "Web 5.0" cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sucks LOL but we aren't the target market for these cams so until their intended customer complains we are stuck with outdated browsers.

It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they don't have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

So we either deal with outdated browsers but better cameras or go with crap consumer grade cameras that use fancy apps and modern browsers but horrible images.

tlp123

n3wb
Reaction score
It sucks LOL but we aren't the target market for these cams so until their intended customer complains we are stuck with outdated browsers.

It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they don't have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

So we either deal with outdated browsers but better cameras or go with crap consumer grade cameras that use fancy apps and modern browsers but horrible images.
Thanks for the insight. Seems Illogical to me. They come up with a new chipset, firmware and a fancy UI for Web 5.0 but it's locked to a browser that has sunseted and is no longer supported. Should be the other way around. Only supported by modern browsers that enforce today's security measures/protocols.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We don't disagree with you there LOL, but if their targeted market professional installers and dealers that buy these things in massive quantities aren't complaining, what is their incentive to re-invent the wheel?

And while the new 5.0 is supposed to work with other browsers, folks that have looked "under the hood" of the new 5.0 firmware have said that they see weird things happen when using other browsers.

wall46

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a bloody newbie here, fighting for years with the damned NACL plugin. Never got working anymore :( :smash:

wittaj wrote:

should read: crap dahua interfaces ;( :banghead:

today I found a 2 ways in W10: :cool:

1) open the Internet Exploder (YES, can be found even in W10prof !!!)
(sometimes EDGE works also, but IE seems more stabel for me!)
enter the URL of the desired cam, enter USR and PW

2) open DahuaConfigTool (v5001)
-Modify IP...
-select the desired cam, login (enter USR + PW)
-click on the right "Web" (sometimes an icon :) :headbang:

AND voila, I'm in the IE and can handle the Cam 'normal' whatever this means :screwy:

Saludos y suerte (Greetings and Luck, a nice Paraguayan wish) ;)
Wolfgang

IE_201_setup_W10prof.jpgDahua_IE_W10_Setup-Function-Preset.jpg

Darkhawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you, just tried it, didn't work for me. Best thing I've found is a third party software called OpenInternetExplorer. Which you can download for free from github. It simulates the old Explorer, works great !

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you, just tried it, didn't work for me. Best thing I've found is a third party software called OpenInternetExplorer. Which you can download for free from github. It simulates the old Explorer, works great !
I had a similar problem with it not working for me. The GitHub program works for me as long as I type the camera URL in manually. If I use the IE bookmark then Microsoft Edge opens up in a new window.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks! I was getting tired of playing games with NACL plugins and extensions that were just temporary ones that want you to pay to use them after so many day. This one works for me and the first time I started it it tried to get me to migrate to Edge...LOL! After I declined it doesn't ask me again. My IE bookmarked IP addresses for the cams work just fine opening up the camera's GUI.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I take it back....one of my Dahua cams wants me to download the webplugin but it doesn't work.

1702512049294.png

1702511637882.png

1702511591218.png

comets

n3wb
Reaction score
Get k-Meleon browser version 75 i think, still plays dahua and hikvision cams, since its a mozilla offshoot, i trust it more than IE or any of those chrome based browsers..

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW - I saw another post somewhere about firmware version 2.8 resolving the plugin issue ... I updated my cameras today and sure enough no issues viewing the live feeds now!! :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW - I saw another post somewhere about firmware version 2.8 resolving the plugin issue ... I updated my cameras today and sure enough no issues viewing the live feeds now!! :)
Which camera models did you update?

That's great just keep in mind that although it is supposed to work with other browsers, folks that have looked "under the hood" of the new firmware have said that they see weird things happen when using other browsers.

Some cameras are more sensitive than others (looking at you PTZs)....and as always YMMV.

Personally since I know that the firmware was designed around Explorer and it is still available, I am going to continue to use it. My PTZs thank me for it LOL.

Reaction score
Since we've had nothing but ice falling from the sky today I've wasted quite a bit of time messing with my cameras. Chrome seems to be working best today for some reason but even then sometimes everything works better in private/incognito mode. Case in point, ANPR search on a 7442 won't show the pictures without Screenshot 2024-01-22 194026.pngScreenshot 2024-01-22 193748.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems like just as you think you've figured it out the browser you thought worked stops working. I seem to rotate between IE, Chrome and Pale Moon. None of those three consistently work. I'm kind of getting sick of loading the web plugin especially when it doesn't work and keeps asking to install it. LOL!

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which camera models did you update?

That's great just keep in mind that although it is supposed to work with other browsers, folks that have looked "under the hood" of the new firmware have said that they see weird things happen when using other browsers.

Some cameras are more sensitive than others (looking at you PTZs)....and as always YMMV.

Personally since I know that the firmware was designed around Explorer and it is still available, I am going to continue to use it. My PTZs thank me for it LOL.

I updated the following cameras and each of them now shows Live view in Chrome and Edge without asking for any plugins, etc. I'm not sure it matters but I did do the System > Default > Default to reset the cam-specific settings (not network settings) to reset before the firmware upgrade.
  1. 5x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE's using "DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707.bin"
  2. 1x IPC-HDW5831R-ZE using "DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000029.0.R.221220.bin" ... can I use this newer firmware on the 5231's?
I have 2x IPC-HDW5442TM-AS in which the live preview has always worked but they've always been on firmware V2.800.0000000.10.R.191118.bin so I do believe firmware 2.8 is what does the trick.

Last edited:

Bazzle

n3wb
Reaction score
K-Meleon still working with plugin OK ..

Serc

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried following this thread but I can't make out what's the best course of action for accessing my DVR through the web.
I have a Dahua dvr5104H. I can access it via the web, but nothing happens when I try to log in. I understand it used to work with IE6 and ActiveX, but surely there must be a way to access it via Chrome by now, no?
I found this page on their wiki, but it's useless.

I'm using quite an old firmware. I'd be happy to upgrade, but i can't find this model on Dahua's website (i looked here).

Any tips?