How would I hook up this mic to my camera?

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a powered microphone, it needs a 9-12v power feed to operate according to the product info.
Presumably if the camera is PoE you don't have any local power.

One potential solution if the camera has the ability to be powered by a local 12v supply is to use an active PoE splitter at the camera end of the ethernet cable, location constraints permitting.
That will give a 12v power feed that you can split with a Y cable for both the camera and the microphone.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a powered microphone, it needs a 9-12v power feed to operate according to the product info.
Presumably if the camera is PoE you don't have any local power.

One potential solution if the camera has the ability to be powered by a local 12v supply is to use an active PoE splitter at the camera end of the ethernet cable, location constraints permitting.
That will give a 12v power feed that you can split with a Y cable for both the camera and the microphone.
Would an unpowered mic work or would it sound too bad? Yeah its outdoors so the splitter idea might not work. I do have a 24Volt brick that came with it.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
kamakzie,

I have external mics connected to two Dahua cams outdoors. I followed the advice of legendary nayr, and use a poe splitter and powered mic. Parts are inexpensive, and the mic is very sensitive. All the parts are crammed into an outdoor circular junction box, because the Dahua mounting box struck me as being expensive. However, the gerry-rigging was time consuming, so next time, I'll use a Dahua box or a larger rectangular box. (nayr went for a large box, I wouldn't go that large)

Great instructions, pics, and model numbers:
How-To: Audio Inputs

This thread provides even more info on hookup and connections:
I need help to connect a microphone! DAHUA HDBW4421R-AS

Some more info, including using a "bullet mic". I use the cheap mic, and never felt I needed a more sensitive mic.
Bullet Mic Review

Recording Audio:
Be aware that recording audio has legal implications. Video has much fewer legal pitfalls.
Bullet Mic Review
Murphy's Law

Good luck!
Fastb

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Fastb. My camera is actually an Amcrest camera but it is a rebranded Dahua camera. It's weird though as it uses bare wires for the connections, they never make it easy haha.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, separate condactors for alarm in/out, but audio in/out had Rica connectors

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I would need to convert those wires into RCA connectors? If you look at the picture on my first post there appear to be 3 wires involved, Audio in, audio out and audio ground.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes.
Bench test w/ clip leads first.
Pay attention to sex. Must be complimentary w/ mic rca conn.
Once functionity is confirmed, attach rca conn to bare conductors

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I might have to let this idea go as it looks like a pain. :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, an easier way is to grab a hook up cable for stereo. It has two males and two female rca connectors pre-wired to conductors. Cut them off leaving 2 inches of wire. Strip off 1 inch of insulation, leaving 1inch of copper.
On cam audio conductors, strip jacket to expose 1" of copper. Twist wires together to make the electrical connection. Test mic & audio. If all works, make the connections permanent (crimp splice, solder, or keep me twisted and seal with blobs of silicone)
Get creative in how you keep the wires from corroding due to oxidation. You can do this!
On you

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I heard this camera might have a built in microphone but apparently with POE it doesn't power it. Would need the power brick to power and an extended cable run. I would imagine its quite crappy though. I'm trying to figure all this out as I am physically handicapped and would need my father to do the work.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
A power brick with an extended run for power (in addition to cat5) would be a hassle, and force me to think "Is having a mic worth the headache?"

If your Poe cam needs a separate power source for the internal mic (which frankly, sounds hard to believe- are you sure?), the a Poe splitter sounds like the perfect sol'n
Ie: @ the cam, use the 48v of Poe to create 12v (typical, common) to power a device near the cam. This is what my previous links demonstrated. The Poe splitter, located next to the cam, provides "local power" and means a long run of power, or a brick, isn't necessary.
Post cam make/model of cam, folks here can propose options.
Yes, internal mics don't work as well as external powered mics, in general. Secondly, an external mic can be aimed, but I'm not sure that helps much, since most external mics are omnidirectional. "Aiming" may not help much.
My cheap ext powers mics pick up bird chirps & crickets if volume is set to 50% I hear ppl walk to my front door, and I hear packages dropped at my door (which is far louder than birds, crickets and planes)
So some bench experiments & tests may be in order. And playing on a bench can be fun!

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also this is what I use for my POE https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-0-5A-GigEthernet-POE-48-24W-G/dp/B00HXT8MNI Would that be enough to split and run a mic off from like the splitter you recommended? This is a mic I was looking at, any opinions? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M5P7HCW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2J9RUGS78S6Y8&colid=1IEIIDO11PIA4 I wouldn't need to included why cable power splitter they include I wouldn't think. Would I only need to put a RCA connector on the one wire for audio in? Or does the audio ground wire need to be used as well? Sorry for the barrage of questions! HAH

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fastb, could you also recommend a RCA adapter for the Audio in wire? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Thanks.

th3bloody9

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

th3bloody9

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding about the connectors being pre fitted! So the round power connector from the iCreatin goes to the camera's power wires after being adapted with the JacobsParts? I didn't think those were used and the round power plug from the POE splitter went to the powered microphone? I'm so confused!!! So the power adapter from the mic feeds power to the camera power? Why does the camera need power if its getting it from my POE.. will my Ubiquiti POE have enough to do all of this? Thanks!