Huisun 10x LPR (License Plate Reading) settings

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to upgrade an old 16 camera system at one of my car washes, and I think I'm going to employ 1-3 of these bad boys based upon the positive reviews. Heck. I'm almost tempted to outfit all 16 camera locations with them they seem like such a good deal, although it seems risky with them not really being proven long term.
They are great cameras but I wouldn't outfit my entire system with them. Once you set them up as a LPR with the settings on this thread the only thing the camera is good for at night is reading license plates. Take at look at the Hikvision Turrets for your other cameras. They are vandal resistant and provide a great night and day picture. By far my favorite stationary camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are great cameras but I wouldn't outfit my entire system with them. Once you set them up as a LPR with the settings on this thread the only thing the camera is good for at night is reading license plates. Take at look at the Hikvision Turrets for your other cameras. They are vandal resistant and provide a great night and day picture. By far my favorite cam stationary camera.

Yeah, I'm going to outfit the 13 current domes with Hik 4mp. I was going to go with domes, from after reading your post, I remember reading a thread about how the turrets perform better?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to outfit the 13 current domes with Hik 4mp. I was going to go with domes, from after reading your post, I remember reading a thread about how the turrets perform better?
Depends on the application. Domes are better at concealing where the camera is actually pointing and can be a better deterrent. They can also suffer from IR reflection within the dome and which can create poor night video.

Make sure you select the correct lens for each camera location. This video will help.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm, so at night if you want to read the plates you must adjust the settings,and then when day time breaks you got to manual change them again. Hope that they can do something within the firmware where you can set some ours for night and for day so the settings will automate.

Now, i can read plates at night long way, i think is more than 150 ft+ with settings like: manual, f3.4, 1/500 , gain 10. So now my question is: Can we save the position of the camera? in case if it moves?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, so at night if you want to read the plates you must adjust the settings,and then when day time breaks you got to manual change them again. Hope that they can do something within the firmware where you can set some ours for night and for day so the settings will automate.

Now, i can read plates at night long way, i think is more than 150 ft+ with settings like: manual, f3.4, 1/500 , gain 10. So now my question is: Can we save the position of the camera? in case if it moves?
Incorrect (I believe); the Huisun Mini PTZ allows the operator to program "Presets." Therefore, you can program the pan, tilt and zoom positions you want and then press a button to have the camera go to that preset position. I would imagine that, f there isn't a way to have the camera execute a preset at a specific time of day (sunset for example), there would be more than one way to achieve such functionality with Blue Iris software.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ohh, my bad ... Yes the preset you can save the position of the camera. And i have to look in BI to see where are those settings regarding time or what options there are.

Thanks,

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Lare and those reading plates, are you zoomed in so as to activate the second pair of IR LEDs? Playing with mine I notice they really create a spot of good illumination when on.
Noticed it on another camera that was picking up the Huisuns IR. Wondering if that is necessary to read plates?

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curios why the image is moving ,and does not stay still.
Maybe the network connection? or maybe because is zoomed in to much? is about 3 houses down, about 300 ft.
Is zoomed @ 7.6x

Thanks,

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious also...some of my Hikvision static lens cameras also exhibit that "bounce." What are your Gain and Noise Reduction set at?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Lare and those reading plates, are you zoomed in so as to activate the second pair of IR LEDs? Playing with mine I notice they really create a spot of good illumination when on.
Noticed it on another camera that was picking up the Huisuns IR. Wondering if that is necessary to read plates?
That's a good question. I'm not sure if the second pair of IR LED's activate or not when reading plates. I'm usually zoomed in at about 3x when reading plates at night. I'll have to go out there at night and see if the IR's that are furthest apart are on or if the two closest together are on. If I remember to, I'll check it tonight.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a good question. I'm not sure if the second pair of IR LED's activate or not when reading plates. I'm usually zoomed in at about 3x when reading plates at night. I'll have to go out there at night and see if the IR's that are furthest apart are on or if the two closest together are on. If I remember to, I'll check it tonight.
They seem to activate at 3x zoom and above. @NoloC - In my experimentation the LED's are necessary to read plates. It's the LED light reflecting off the reflective license plate paint that makes it possible to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. That should be fine for my application. It was really quite impressive to see the amount of IR light the camera puts out viewed by an adjacent camera.

I am very impressed with this camera and will be buying more.

Thank you for your response!

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Big thanks to dalepa for discovering the LPR capabilities of this camera. I had been looking at buying an LPR camera for a few months but couldn't bring myself to spend the coin.

I only have 2 complaints...

1. I have to refocus the camera every night. Even with it set to manual.
2. I no longer have a PTZ cam to play around with now that it's a dedicated LPR. Guess I will have to spring for another one. :)

I had to deviate from dalepa's original settings a bit to get a better license plate image but a lot of factors play into it. Camera angle, distance, lighting, etc. I have tested reading plates up to 30mph. I live at a T intersection and you can't take it much faster than that. Anyway, this camera continues to impress me.

Plate1.jpg

dalepa

Reaction score
Strange that the manual focus changes daily...

Yea, dedicating this cam to just LPR is no fun.

What LPR settings worked best for you?

Big thanks to dalepa for discovering the LPR capabilities of this camera. I had been looking at buying an LPR camera for a few months but couldn't bring myself to spend the coin.

2. I no longer have a PTZ cam to play around with now that it's a dedicated LPR. Guess I will have to spring for another one. :)

I had to deviate from dalepa's original settings a bit to get a better license plate image but a lot of factors play into it. Camera angle, distance, lighting, etc. I have tested reading plates up to 30mph. I live at a T intersection and you can't take it much faster than that. Anyway, this camera continues to impress me.

View attachment 7260

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

This is my concern about these cameras as well. If we could get the same imager in a fixed lens and no PTZ, it would be more reliable for certain applications. I have also noticed focus issues transitioning to night.
I'm not wild about the fact that a power reset causes the camera to find limits and maybe come back to where it was, maybe not. Image is awesome but if it were fixed, there would be less to go wrong.
KISS. Love the PTZ but that is more of a liability in some scenarios and it would be nice to remove the variables that can go wrong.

Problem is the image is so good I am hating ny Hiks!

Is there a fixed lens non-PTZ version?

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my concern about these cameras as well. If we could get the same imager in a fixed lens and no PTZ, it would be more reliable for certain applications. I have also noticed focus issues transitioning to night.
I'm not wild about the fact that a power reset causes the camera to find limits and maybe come back to where it was, maybe not. Image is awesome but if it were fixed, there would be less to go wrong.
KISS. Love the PTZ but that is more of a liability in some scenarios and it would be nice to remove the variables that can go wrong.

Problem is the image is so good I am hating ny Hiks!

Is there a fixed lens non-PTZ version?
Could one not simply disable/unplug the PTZ motor?

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
day time was in perfect focus. night time will be little burry...or night time perfect. daytime little burry....menu focus at infinity. any input?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1
Mine is all the way wide and has been pretty solid. Curious are you zoomed in ?

What does the on screen indicator for zoom say? Mine is X1.0 for wide.