Human / Face detection

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see where i can create zones on BI motion, ill try that now

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
shoot though i think those zones would translate to any/all presets right? so that wont work.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, they'll be kind of overlaid on top of everything. Where I've used both at the same time, I'll virtually always see BI's motion as what triggers (before IVS).

I haven't tried what you guys are discussing but can you check the "Use zones box" but just clear the entire screen and still get the benefit of the make time? i.e., One big blank zone. Or if you have to have something, then just maybe one pixel out of the way somewhere. Don't think that you want to be setting up zones in BI too. That's kind of a mess to start with vs AI and along with everything else you've got going on... naaaa... lol

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, they'll be kind of overlaid on top of everything. Where I've used both at the same time, I'll virtually always see BI's motion as what triggers (before IVS).

I haven't tried what you guys are discussing but can you check the "Use zones box" but just clear the entire screen and still get the benefit of the make time? i.e., One big blank zone. Or if you have to have something, then just maybe one pixel out of the way somewhere. Don't think that you want to be setting up zones in BI too. That's kind of a mess to start with vs AI and along with everything else you've got going on... naaaa... lol
hey Mike I see what you are saying, ill give that a try

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nope unfortunatly when you make only one pixel in the BI motion zone box, the clips go back to stoping mid track.

I must be missing something? do most people not use ptz cameras with tracking?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The thing thats the most confusing is the camera tracks me the entire time, from trigger until I am out of sight. It's just not recording the entire thing. So the trigger and tracking seem to be working, should I be looking at the recording settings instead of the trigger settings?

I guess I probably need to figure out how to get and use internet explorer, perhaps that record time I am setting in the camera UI isnt sticking somehow?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, thought probably so but was hoping maybe.

No, most don't use PTZs with tracking. They're very nice to have (obviously) but, at least as far as the tracking goes, they seem to kind of do what they do to some extent. Different scenes will determine that along with cam and BI settings. You have a good cam and look to have a fairly ideal view for it to work well so I'd expect that you can get yours working better.

Mine is a mess with things in the way all over so when it breaks off and stops tracking there's usually good reason for it. But it does just do odd things for no apparent reason at times and there's no real control over that as far as I can see. I run mine continuous+trigger so it never stops recording. Whether it's pointed to record and how well it tracks whatever of interest at a given time is a different matter. I don't use it as a 'primary' cam. Obviously, I want it to work as well as possible but whatever it captures with the auto-tracking and whether I get an alert/clip from it of any value is kind of in addition to. So I don't worry all that much about it losing tracking and missing something.

You have a different use case there. You're trying to use the 180 to make it work more as your primary cam for multiple areas. I think you probably can get there (for the most part at least) but will take more playing with it to make it work reliably. I agree it shouldn't be that hard. But you've got a lot going on between BI/ONVIF/IVS/tracking,etc. Which was why I was saying to try to simplify things and get one thing working well and then deal with whatever quirks as you add complexity.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, thought probably so but was hoping maybe.

No, most don't use PTZs with tracking. They're very nice to have (obviously) but, at least as far as the tracking goes, they seem to kind of do what they do to some extent. Different scenes will determine that along with cam and BI settings. You have a good cam and look to have a fairly ideal view for it to work well so I'd expect that you can get yours working better.

Mine is a mess with things in the way all over so when it breaks off and stops tracking there's usually good reason for it. But it does just do odd things for no apparent reason at times and there's no real control over that as far as I can see. I run mine continuous+trigger so it never stops recording. Whether it's pointed to record and how well it tracks whatever of interest at a given time is a different matter. I don't use it as a 'primary' cam. Obviously, I want it to work as well as possible but whatever it captures with the auto-tracking and whether I get an alert/clip from it of any value is kind of in addition to. So I don't worry all that much about it losing tracking and missing something.

You have a different use case there. You're trying to use the 180 to make it work more as your primary cam for multiple areas. I think you probably can get there (for the most part at least) but will take more playing with it to make it work reliably. I agree it shouldn't be that hard. But you've got a lot going on between BI/ONVIF/IVS/tracking,etc. Which was why I was saying to try to simplify things and get one thing working well and then deal with whatever quirks as you add complexity.
Im totally with you and I'm glad I stripped it down to just the PTZ. I now know whatever is preventing it from recording what its tracking is isolated to this camera or Blue Iris.

I have three other cameras on the front of the house in addition to the PTZ and the 180. I also have another cat5 cable strung so potentially 6 cameras out front. Once I figure out the PTZ recording the full track I will figure out best way to get it triggered across the whole 180 degrees.

I am going to dig into getting internet explorer working and see if that dosent jar something loose on the camera.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to get internet explorer working, from one of those links posted above. And wow is it stupid how to get it to open.

It didnt change anything and the tracking duration was set to 120 in IE also. But I may have spotted whats going on because in internet explorer the IVS rules show while the camera is panning. I'm wondering if I am walking out of the IVS rule. While the camera is pointed at the street, I have the IVS rule so it dosent get cars/people going by in the street, like this:
1698264492659.png

But, I think when the camera tracks and pans, that IVS rule is under the sidewalk I am walking on when the camera stops recording. I am going to make the box the whole frame and see how it goes.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sadly that didnt work either LOL. but it does seem to be a consistant 10 second clip. so for some reason its stopping the recording at 10 seconds.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it is limiting the recording to 10 seconds. I've walked a few different paths, its tracked me for 30 seconds to a minute and each time its only a 10 second clip.

The frame around the camera goes red for 10 seconds, then goes off. If subject is still in frame it will start recording again, but each instance is limited to 10 seconds.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That isn't how IVS works..which you found out.

I am leaning towards what I said earlier that the record time for SD card is 10 seconds and until you get an SD card in there, see if you can enable record and change it to 240 seconds.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say enable record do you mean in the web UI and under events enable video detection/motion detection?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the screen where you setup IVS rules. Down towards bottom right it will probably show snapshot enabled. Hit the + sign and add record and then make that 240 seconds

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is what my ivs rules look like on PTZ. snapshot is enabled but there are not settings. ill just go get an sd card if you think it will help. i didnt realize its a micro sd card. ive got a ton of regular sd cards but no micro so I will go get one.
1698271368573.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You show it to record for 30 seconds - change that to a lot higher and see if it helps.

For kicks change the Alarm out Port post alarm to 240 seconds as well - maybe the newer version of BI is picking this up as an ONVIF?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i put everything to 240 and no joy. Still ten second clips. The only thing that seems to get the clips running longer than 10 seconds is turning on the motion sensor in Blue Iris under trigger, but then I get 100s of false alarms.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - for kicks, in BI motion make the make time 9 seconds. That should knock out most of the false and hopefully then only keep recording when the tracking is actually going.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if I make the make time 9.0 seconds it goes back to only recording 10 second clips (it tracks me the whole time, just only records 10 seconds of it).

turn the make time back to 2.0 it goes to recording entire track (but also all the false alarms)