Human / Face detection

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow I would have thought the 9 seconds would have done it. What is the maximum trigger/alert duration set to?

Let's try some other troubleshooting

Are you recording triggers only?

Try recording continuous + triggers and see if that makes a difference.

Have you tried deleting the camera in BI and re-adding? Sometimes things go wonky and a delete/re-add fixes it.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did try deleting/re-adding the camera.

I am recording triggers only (my new hard drives have not come in yet) but I can switch it to continuous.

The max trigger/alert is set to 60 seconds.

I noticed the "end trigger unless re-triggered" setting while I was looking at the max trigger/alert. That was set to 10. If I move that to 60...it records 60 second clips. The PTZ just goes back to its preset, and records nothing for the duration, and stops at 60 seconds. If I set it to 20 seconds, it records a 20 second clip. So I am pretty sure that is what is keeping the clips at 10 seconds.

But, if I also set the "pre-trigger record time" (under the record tab) to five seconds it records the entire track. 38 second clip that got me from trigger until I was out of view. How that combination makes the PTZ work I'm not sure, or how reliable it will be. But I will keep it there and just keep checking.

I have the motion on, min duration (MAKE time) set to 9 seconds and that seems to be returning zero false alarms and cars are going by and its super windy with a fake ghost and tree blowing around like crazy.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its triggering late for sure, to varying degrees. sometimes just a little late, sometimes like 5-7 seconds late. but it is finishing the track and the lengths dont seem constrained. I got 38s, 37s, 31s - so progress I would say!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The triggering late is probably more of a function of the PTZ and you crossing the IVS rule. It won't sent the trigger to BI until it starts the tracking, so the pre-record time is critical in that situation to catch the person on video before the camera triggers.

Are you using the PTZ to alert you of people or cars in your yard or driveway or are the other cams doing that?

If you are not using it for alerts, then if need be set the make time to whatever gives you the best results but then just have the alert thumbnails that are external and then it won't show all the other triggers.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so setting the pre record trigger time on and to five seconds, and setting the end trigger unless re-triggered within to 20 seconds seems to get the best results so far, but it not returning consistent results. The longest full motion track I got this morning was 40 seconds, then the camera returned to its preset and recorded another 20 seconds of nothing (end trigger unless re-triggerd setting I am assuming).

But other times - if the motion track lasts longer than 40 seconds, it will record a bunch of seperate shorter clips 20-30 seconds long while missing a bunch of motion between the clips.

One strange thing I noticed. When I deleted the camera and re-added it I never set back up a schedule. But the PTZ keeps returning home to preset 3 (which I had set up as a schedule in the deleted camera). So that old setting is lingering?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed the same when I re-added my PTZ the other day.

Another thing that you might look at is under PTZ/Control > Edit Presets > Override motion zones. That will let you change how BI's motion zones work by preset. There's no make/break time associated with any of that so must rely on whatever is set above.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess the preset home sticking around makes me wonder what else is sticking around from old settings.

Kind of makes trouble shooting this exponentially more complicated.

Did you name your PTZ the same name it had previously?

I did your suggestion but it didnt make a change in recordings. If the motion track is longer than .....I dunno, some duration it stops recording. The PTZ keeps tracking, and it starts recording again in 8-10 seconds.

Im wondering if I should factory reset the PTZ, and start fresh with Blue Iris at this point.

I will get a micro SD card this afternoon and install, but it looks like the camera is tracking the whole time so I have a feeling its a recording setting in Blue Iris.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I did rename it the same.

In the cam, look under PTZ > PowerUp and see if there's a preset set there. Mine was going to sit at a different preset as 'home' than what I have there. Which is why I noticed it. I have nothing set in Events schedule.

Yes, does sound like the recording thing is on the BI side. I record continuous+trigger and most of mine aren't more than 30 seconds without it being called away or retriggered in some way so I'd not notice it as much if the same was happening here. If I get a chance I'll try to shorten some things on mine and see if I can get it to do the same.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I named mine the same too, I wonder if thats keeping some of the old.

Powerup on mine is set to auto.

I think I see what you are saying. So if I had it set to continuous I wouldnt notice? That is what my end goal is to have them all record continous, just waiting on a hard drive deal to happen, guess I will just buy some. I was just thinking the clips is what I am going to look at mostly, and if they are short.....yeah I guess it dosent really matter I could go look at the continous footage at that point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which option are you using for recording - just plain triggered or are you using one of the other flavors?

If you are ok with messing with a registry, you could go to regedit and make sure the camera is deleted there.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't have to go anywhere else to look at the continuous recording. If you record continuous or continuous sub+trigger then you still get the triggers and the alert clip (assuming you have it set up that way). When you click on the alert, it will bring up and position you at that point within the continuous recording. The alerts are just markers to events in the larger file. If you do continuous sub+trigger, then it will switch to the full stream for the duration of the event and then record the substream resolution the rest of the time to save storage.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok awesome so this is probably a mute point, I will switch to continuous and see.

Blue Iris support responded to my ticket saying it must be a networking issue or the camera is "internally resting" (whatever that means) and refered me to page 225 of the help manual. I replied that if it were a network issue one of my other 15 cameras would surely be having the same issue, and they are not.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeap continuous mode fixes the issue - ill get some drives now. thanks

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so it took alot longer than expected to get the drives LOL. I got busy replacing floors and trim in the house. But I finished that and got some WD purple drives, got them into the NAS last night. Pooled the drives, set a firewall rule to allow computer running Blue Iris to cross VLAN and access NAS, changed the location of the stored clips to be the NAS drive, then set everything to record continuous. All that seems to be working.

But setting to continuous recording is pegging my cpu utilization to 100%. About half of the cameras have a yellow warning sympol in the upper right thumbnail - but nothing is coming through in the logs.

Would you expect this from:

The desktop running BI is:
12th Gen i7 2.10 GHz
64gb of ram

I have 15 cameras set to:
H264
15 FPS
8192 Bit Rate

Nothing has started hitting the NAS yet, all new/alert being recorded to SSD in computer - currently has a few TB free on SSD before it starts transfering to the NAS.

What should I start dialing back to get my CPU under 100%?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running substreams?

Are the drives and BI excluded from antivirus?

A 12th gen should have not problem with that load.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that is what I was thinking too. I dont have antivirus installed on the computer running blue iris. It is behind a physical firewall on its own vlan with the cameras, that has rules set up so maybe I will look at those. But the only rule i have set up is no internet so I dont think its doing anything.

the sub streams are enabled on the cameras, and I saw the "record dual-streams if available" in the record tab, should I uncheck that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Windows has default antivirus - make sure you have excluded BI and the drives from it.

That check for record dual streams is fine.

I mean people are running 50 cams on a 4th gen in the 30% CPU range, so you got something going on that is pegging the CPU - SSD that can't keep up, antivirus or indexing going on, etc.

What does Task Manager show that is running?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
forgot about windows defender, ill check that now. task manager has it at 100% too

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
turned windows firewall off, changed the database, new and alerts back to the c drive in defualt folders BI originally set up, turned the physical firewall rules off. no change - still pegging CPU.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK so you probably have a problematic camera.

Disable every camera in BI and the CPU should be at 0%. If it isn't, then chase down what is running.

Provided the CPU is 0%, then enable each camera one by one. I would enable one and let it run a few hours and watch the CPU before enabling the next one.

Eventually you will find the problem camera and then delete it and re-add it.