Human / Face detection

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is still a work in progress with BI.

In the past, and when I created that thread regarding spotter cams, the only way to accomplish that was with more cameras - either physical cameras or clone cameras using BI motion.

With BI update 5.7.5, it started the process of allowing us to see the IVS rules being triggered in the camera that is being fed to BI.

View attachment 174631

So it is close, but still not quite check box ready. But if you have the time, this thread talks about how to go about figuring it out:

so i read all through these, and I think I understand, and I follow how to turn on/off the triggers in the spotting cameras if its just tripwire vs intrusion box. But if I have 5 tripwires set up on the 180 cam I don't see how to differentiate between them in the ONVIF events for the spotter cam.

I tried to toggle them all inactive in the web UI except one, walk across whole 180 cam, then go into the ONVIF events configure page and label the trigger. Then go to web UI and toggle another tripwire on and previous one off, the ONVIF events shows the one I labeled (and have now made inactive) as the one that triggered.

I guess I don't see how you labeled the rules so you know which is which and can turn them on/off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was just a screenshot from what someone else did here LOL.

I haven't got that far yet.

Like I said, it is still a work in progress and some cameras may be easier to differentiate than others. But it sounds like you are going about it the correct way. Maybe post in that other thread I linked where someone figured it out?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was just a screenshot from what someone else did here LOL.

I haven't got that far yet.

Like I said, it is still a work in progress and some cameras may be easier to differentiate than others. But it sounds like you are going about it the correct way. Maybe post in that other thread I linked where someone figured it out?
gotcha. yeah actually, when i change the memo in the ONVIF configuration page I start getting errors on the camera.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
so i read all through these, and I think I understand, and I follow how to turn on/off the triggers in the spotting cameras if its just tripwire vs intrusion box. But if I have 5 tripwires set up on the 180 cam I don't see how to differentiate between them in the ONVIF events for the spotter cam.

I tried to toggle them all inactive in the web UI except one, walk across whole 180 cam, then go into the ONVIF events configure page and label the trigger. Then go to web UI and toggle another tripwire on and previous one off, the ONVIF events shows the one I labeled (and have now made inactive) as the one that triggered.

I guess I don't see how you labeled the rules so you know which is which and can turn them on/off.
I'm not sure that you can distinguish the various tripwires like that. At least in a direct way. The labels in BI are just that... names that you're assigning to whatever line in that config box. They don't reflect or affect what's actually sent by the cam and received by BI as an ONVIF event. You'd need the cam to send something within the ONVIF event that distinguishes the various rules and I don't see that the Dahau cams do that. At least in any way that I can look at them.

The only thing that I see that might work is that there is a rule number that is included as part of the event. You might be able to use that same ONVIF config event setup screen in BI to pick that up. e.g. "contains Rule:00001" or whatever the right string might be. Also, I'm not sure whether those numbers are unique across different PTZ events. That is, the first rule under each PTZ preset may report as Rule 1 so that doesn't help a lot.

I've not had a chance to play more with it lately. Not having events shown in the cam logs makes it a little hard to see what's happening there. Download ONVIF Device Manager and under events that will let you see a little more of what's sent than BI does.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's how the events look in ODM. There's also an ObjectID. Maybe that could be used within a "contains:"?

Screenshot 2023-10-13 160819.png

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mike, I think I see what you are saying, but how does that help me when I am trying to make the spotting camera only listen to one tripwire if BI doesn't list them separately in what I can turn on/off?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure that it does. lol Was just pointing you to what I've seen after looking at it some. And that's kind of what I was saying... Unless the cam passes something unique that you can key on for that same type of rule (i.e., tripwire), then I don't think that BI has the info to do that. You can distinguish between regular motion, line crossing, intrusion box, etc. BI does receive enough to distinguish that. And you could set up one or the other to be person or vehicle so you can distinguish between types of rules (as I showed in that other thread). But that's kind of limited to just a couple and doesn't distinguish between events/rules of the same type.

You might be able to use the rule number within a "contains" in BI. e.g., Contains: "Rule IVS-2". I'll have to try that at some point.

After leaving mine up for a while and looking at it more the ObjectId won't do it. That's not a constant for each rule. It increments with new events so it changes over time.

Last edited:

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure that it does. lol Was just pointing you to what I've seen after looking at it some. And that's kind of what I was saying... Unless the cam passes something unique that you can key on for that same type of rule (i.e., tripwire), then I don't think that BI has the info to do that. You can distinguish between regular motion, line crossing, intrusion box, etc. BI does receive enough to distinguish that. And you could set up one or the other to be person or vehicle so you can distinguish between types of rules (as I showed in that other thread). But that's kind of limited to just a couple and doesn't distinguish between events/rules of the same type.

You might be able to use the rule number within a "contains" in BI. e.g., Contains: "Rule IVS-2". I'll have to try that at some point.

After leaving mine up for a while and looking at it more the ObjectId won't do it. That's not a constant for each rule. It increments with new events so it changes over time.
Cool, I will keep playing with it. I do have other cameras set up I could use as spotters that cover the area of the PTZ. I have three other cameras I could use, and then do a tripwire on the 180 and an intrusion box on a cloned 180, but it wont cover the full area unless I point my door cam away from the front door. I would just get a dual lens camera for there but I didn't see one in black and the black camera looks really good by the front of house. The 180 camera view is the one I use the most probably, especially at night, so it would be awesome if I could get this to trigger the PTZ across its view.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, did a quick test and it DOES seem to work using the IVS rule number.

What I did:
On the cam, created a new rule. In this case, a tripwire as IVS rule #3.

In BI, disabled all other ONVIF events for that cam under Trigger > ONVIF/camera events, Configure button.
Created a new event and put IVS-3 into the contains. Nothing else entered so it only has that as an ONVIF event to trigger on.
Went out and tried to trigger the cam and it does trigger BI.

Can make it do the same by disabling one or the other and changing IVS-3 to IVS-2 or IVS-1 or whatever. If you want the alert to show the rule number (or whatever other text) in the alert, then add that to the memo field. Otherwise, it just says EXTERNAL-. With the memo text added it will say EXTERNAL-IVS-3. You could make it say PERSON DRIVEWAY LEFT or whatever is appropriate for that rule/event.

So that's all promising.

Last edited:

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hot damn I think it's going to work. I got one trigger/preset working I am pretty sure I can get more working.

The issue I am having, and I think its separate from the PTZ/trigger thing here. My spotter cam is very slow to trigger the PTZ. like 15 seconds slow. What gives me hope there is something wrong with the camera is - the find/inspect takes a long time to complete on this camera too. So I will dig into that see if I can sort that out and then make more clones and see....

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's very slow. Something's not right. Is that cam slow to trigger itself? Or is it only slow triggering the PTZ? If the latter, then I'd probably look more toward BI or the PTZ to start.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, that's very slow. Something's not right. Is that cam slow to trigger itself? Or is it only slow triggering the PTZ? If the latter, then I'd probably look more toward BI or the PTZ to start.
Nope camera triggers instantly, it's just the PTZ that takes 10-15 seconds to respond. So maybe I cloned the camera wrong? I just added the camera again, is there a procedure I should have done to actually clone it?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the spotter camera triggers immediately, and the PTZ also triggers immediately when spotter cam triggers. Both cameras red box same time, instantly. It just takes 10 seconds for PTZ to start moving. Weird.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue was I didn't have "move group" clicked and group selected (guess i missed that step in the original instruction post). Once I did that it was all good. Its working though! And its awesome! I have some kinks to work out with my trip wires and the tracking on the PTZ, and the recording durations etc. But it is working. I set up 5 presets across about 180 degrees, with 5 separate trip wires in the 180 camera, all overlapping just a bit - and it's getting me and tracking at each spot.

The issue I am having now is the "events: subscription 8000ffff" errors in the log for all 3 of the 4 cloned cameras. I probably missed a check box in the setup but its late and I cant see it.

Thank you very much!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Good deal.

Should have the Get ONVIF events box checked but if you didn't have that, then you wouldn't be getting ONVIF events so probably not that.

Often that's an ONVIF authorization issue. You can try turning off ONVIF authorization to check (but not sure where it is on that cam).

Also seems like re-running the Find/inspect again stops it for whatever reason so might try that.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have the get ONVIF events box checked, I could have sworn there was another ONVIF box to check somewhere when setting up a new camera.

I turned the authorization off in cam and it stopped the error on one of the clones, but two of them continue to have error with authorization off in cam. I also did find/inspect a few times, no joy. Still getting the error.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Trigger > ONVIF/camera events. But like the other, you must have that checked or you wouldn't be getting ONVIF triggers and that doesn't cause that error.

I did have a couple of 5442s that I had to update firmware to get rid of that but if you don't have it with the source cam, then shouldn't be a problem with the clones. It's the same cam.

Which version of BI?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes right, I guess in my mind the trigger check box was now part of the PTZ preset process.

But I have both of those boxes checked.

Blue Iris version 5.7.9.12x64 9/17/2023

Is it strange that it takes the main cam a really long time to find/inspect vs the other cameras? I've also seen it loose signal quite a bit.

All other cameras don't loose signal that I've seen, and are lighting fast as on the find/inspect.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, shouldn't take all that long. Which cam is it?

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IPC-color4k-T180

The error seems to be intermittent, and it does also report on original cam not just the clones. It just comes and goes.

Web UI says I am using the most up to date firmware.