Human / Face detection

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gotcha, I will put a SD card in the PTZ.

But on the first one anyhow, its called back to preset 2. Preset 1 is home. If it lost its tracking object, wouldnt it return home?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to tell on that first clip, but the start of the video and end appears to be the same field of view, but maybe it was at a different preset before you started the clip.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i see what you are saying. so with the SD card, ill put it in, and do I need to actually remove the sd card to view footage?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You put the SD card in and then make sure for each preset you tell it to record (as that is for the SD card)

Thankfully you do not need to take the SD card out to view the footage.

You view in the same camera GUI that you used to set the camera up. You go to the record option to view was was recorded. And then you turn on the IVS rules so that you will then see when/where the IVS rule triggered and then it will put a box around the object that you can then see if the box wanders off to something else meaning additional tweaking to the PTZ or did it move away while still recording and thus either the track time was up or a spotter called it.

Make sure if it is a Dahua PTZ that you are using Internet Explorer. The PTZs have a tendency to not hold the track time you put in and defaults to something else.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK it is a Dahua PTZ...from Andy. I need to be using internet explorer to configure the PTZ? like actual internet explorer or edge?

I just witnessed a pan to the eve/sky. It was a bicycle through the spotter preset. PTZ put a red box on nothing before it started to pan, and then paned to the left/right postition of the preset that was tripped, but went way high - to the sky. Sort of weird that it wouldn't pan to the preset and then look right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep actual Internet Explorer not Edge with the IE tab.

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires on a PTZ, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly. An entire Field of View intrusion box can cause it to latch on to the wrong item.

The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

It sounds like in this bicycle instance, either the bike came thru before the camera could process it thru AI, so the box is where the bike was when it started and thus without a bike there, it then panned looking for it.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok so you are saying it would be better to have the home preset be in the middle instead of off to one side? Got it, I wll change that.

the renaming bho folder didn't work for me. I guess I will have to investigate other ways to get explorer.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just watching my PTZ tracking a human, all was good, probably 15 seconds in and then the spotter cam lost signal and PTZ immediately stopped tracking and returned to home.

How can I troubleshoot the lost connections on that 180 camera? Is that a known/typical issue with it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 15 seconds is the default track time that the PTZ uses if you used any other browser, so I would confirm that is the case. I make mine like 2 minutes because as you see once the object is out of the field of view the camera returns home, so might as well have it track it as long as they are on your property.

The spotter cam losing signal should not be the cause of the tracking to stop and is most certainly the default time in the PTZ.

Maybe disable the PTZ and spotter cams in BI and see if the PTZ will track longer than 15 seconds.

Yes the 180 is a known issue with the 180.

It is a combination of power supply and/or BI having trouble with the signal being sent.

I could create the No signal based on which power supply I used. But others have seen it with good known switches. Several have reported it to BI, but this is such a specialty camera that until more people report the issue, it will be low priority, so go ahead and send the message into the BI reporting the issue.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will dig into how to get actual internet explorer working, i'm sure one of those links will work.

Had another idea though - how about a different approach of having the ptz constantly scan back and forth instead of trips/boxes on the cloned cameras? I was originally thinking it would be unnecessary wear/tear on the PTZ. Is that generally true or OK to do? I got another PTZ for the rear of the house, and I've set that one up to scan back and forth for now - its only about 90 degrees so the sweep isn't much, so it would quickly pick anyone walking up.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nevermind LOL I cant figure out how to make ptz scan resume after it triggers

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't want to do that anyway for a variety of reasons. One big one being that the cam is limited to a certain number of cycles and then will disable. Over time you'll hit that number faster than you'd expect.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not want the PTZ scanning. It only tracks on presets, so as the PTZ is moving left to right it will not track anything. Plus it will then miss something as the PTZ is looking far right and they approach from the far left.

And as mentioned above, you will wear it out prematurely.

Someone came here that had a PTZ moving to a different preset every 7 seconds and got the warning in less than two years.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok gotcha thanks, ill keep playing with it

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I redid the intrusion boxes on the spotter 180, and changed the tracking time on the PTZ to be 120 seconds for each preset. one thing I noticed is that when I changed the home preset on the PTZ I didn't then change the spotter cams to exclude the new home preset and add the previous home preset. I fixed that.

The thing I can't stop thinking about is the signal drops, authentication errors, and the length of time it takes to find/inspect on SOME of the 180 cams. It takes about a minute and a half on the master and one clone, while it takes 1 second on the 3 other clones.

Do you think it would be worth swapping the cable on the 180 cam to a cat6? Its a solid copper 5e now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is an issue with that particular camera and BI. The more that write BI about issues with that camera, the faster he will move up the priority to fix it. I think it is some sort of authentication error

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You're not the only one with the same issue. I've seen several post about it. Cat5e has plenty of bandwidth. The cam's only 100 so you're not pushing the limits of the cable.

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I've played with things, and let them sit for a few days. Just watching foot trafic around my house.

First, the 180 cam:
1) is loosing connection way too often to be relied on for spotting. It shows lost signal probably once per minute. I suspect its way more often than that, but probably recovers quick enough to not show a lot signal on the live view. I submitted a ticket to Blue Iris.
2) outside of the center 1/3 of the camera it isnt reliable for triggering - things get even worse in anything but bright, flat light
3) I really like the 180 view, but I dont want 3 cameras here (its right on the front of my house), so not sure what I will do.

Second, the PTZ:
1) looses its lock on the subject alot more than I was expecting. It will also just stops recording mid track. Like when it looses track, it keeps recording nothing. But sometimes it will stop recording abruptly as its tracking. And sometimes dosent return home. I have the record duration set to 2 minutes, but it rarely goes beyond 20 seconds. I have it set to ignore all alerts if tracking. i have the home preset as number 3. Here are a few examples:

2) It also dosent trigger itself to start tracking/recording but about half the time. So the spotter will trigger, it swings to the right spot, there is a human moving right where camera is pointed, but PTZ dosent trigger to track/record.

View attachment Clipboard_Cam4.20231023_153428-153503.2 (1).mp4

View attachment Clipboard_Cam4.20231023_125519-125619.3 (1).mp4

here is the 180 from same time showing nothing triggered it
View attachment Clipboard_Cam3.20231023_125522-125532.4.mp4

Last edited: