i7-7700 slow performance

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have the wrong video driver in bi. Read the files and links on the windows video driver.

Test turn off in bi all hardware acceleration on all cameras and reboot. The performance will be a little high but stable.
The driver is correct, I tried 4664 which is recommended by the wiki

With hardware acceleration off, its 100% cpu and not usable at all

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Delete all cameras and start over installng bi. there have been reports of problems coping setting between systems and different cpus

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried uninstalling BI and reinstall but same results. I didn’t try starting from scratch on the cameras yet.

But does playback really take up that much cpu resource?? It’s only streaming... makes me wonder the efficiency of the software. A $200 NVR box plays 4K video not breaking a sweat while my 4 core i7 can’t even do playback ...

Reaction score
But does playback really take up that much cpu resource?? It’s only streaming... makes me wonder the efficiency of the software. A $200 NVR box plays 4K video not breaking a sweat while my 4 core i7 can’t even do playback ...
No, this is not right. I have 18 2MP and 1 4MP cameras at 15fps and playback does not significantly increase my cpu utilization (i7-8700). I do not run BI as a service, just straight up. Right now it is running on the server with 12 cameras displayed and I am using the UI3 on my office desktop showing the same 12 cameras and the cpu is 15%.

I do see it rise when BI is moving files from 'NEW' to 'STORED', or if I log directly into a camera using the web gui. I have Dahua cameras and use Chrome for the web gui.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mike li
You do not have bi or the cameras configured correctly.
Delete all you cameras and start over, add one camera and post screen shots of your bi configuration and the internal camera setting.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
here are the screenshots

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.03.02 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.03.44 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.03.02 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.03.27 AM.jpg

This is what happens when I try to play back a clip at 4x speed, at 1440p resolution via UI3 in a browser

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.15.39 AM.jpg

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just did a comparison to my other server, i5-4570 , which I moved to my office to replace an old Hikvision NVR, i didn't even touch the settings in the cameras yet, they were all set to MAX 2560x1440 resolution and 20FPS.

no struggle at all during playback, very smooth 4x , 8x playback , Cpu doesn't rocket to 100% like my i7. it stays at around 75% max.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Realize that you have a different CPU and probably motherboard, so your old settings may not be compatible with your new machine.

I compared your setup with mine for the 'Video' tab and you might try:
1. Uncheck 'Enable overlays' - unless you really need this?
2. Uncheck 'Also BVR' - I have no idea what this is and it is not covered in the BI Help
3. Actually pick an option under 'Hardware accelerated decode' rather than leaving it at "Default".

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried with and without "also bvr", it does not affect the cpu usage during playback.

all individual cameras have "hardware acceleration" checked

my main issue here is the playback, whenever i try to play a clip the CPU shoots up to almost 100%, as soon as I stop it drops to 60-70%, which i think is still quite high for what my setup is...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you excluded all BI folders from any Antivirus software. Including any built into the OS.
Note that your GPU is also maxed out. there is a problem somewhere.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you excluded all BI folders from any Antivirus software. Including any built into the OS.
Note that your GPU is also maxed out. there is a problem somewhere.
I have exlcuded all BI folders / disks from Microsoft Defender, no other software was installed

the CPU / GPU usage only maxes out during playback.... i tried the recommended driver version, stock driver with Win10, latest driver from Intel also HP.... all the same

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread, I just swapped from an i7-2600 to an i5-7400, on paper the CPU's are similar, but with the newer 7th gen I thought I could introduce Intel decoding and lower my power usage slightly. I've gone through optimization etc, and I'm finding a very similar situation. Idle @ 60% (which is up about 15% from my old i7-2600) but hits 95+ when playing back (direct to disk, bvr).

Assuming the lower core count on my 7th gen i5-7400 is to blame, I have an i7-7700 arriving today. This will be an interesting comparison. I'll be more than slightly disappointed if I don't see a huge improvement, on the basis the 7700 set me back a few hundred pounds.

Utilising older Intel drivers is admittedly something I have not tried. And will be my first port of call if I notice similarities in the 7700 setup.

I run a vanilla W10 Pro 1809, all AV off etc... and JUST BI installed.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I switched all my cameras (a few months ago) to H264+/H265, and then I recall reading somewhere almost immediately after making the changes that BI doesn't support/work well with these pseudo codecs, so returned all cameras back to H.264 (removing +/H.265) -- or so I thought... More recently (since switching to the i7-7400) I had an issue with one of my older cameras not recording on motion. This was resolved by removing all Hardware Decoding.

After browsing the forum after posting my reply above, I again found this; New build for 4K cameras. i9-9900K?

The main reason to buy Intel is to use Quick Sync for hardware acceleration to make the system run on less power. You can only use Quick Sync for H.264 video at this time. Not for H.265. It was supposed to be working for H.265 for a year or two now, but it simply doesn't. Also, codec extensions like "smart codec", "SVC", "H.264+", "H.265+" may have compatibility issues with Blue Iris and cause video corruption or outright streaming failure.
I've just checked and found that H.264+ was active on that particular problematic camera. I've just disabled it, and re-enabled Intel+VPP on that particular camera. It now records, and playback no longer spikes to 95%... #veryinteresting

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an OptiPlex 5050 with i7-7700 w/32GB Ram (Yeh overkill but it was a Dell replacement and they tossed it in) and up until last nite had never performed the CPU Tweaks listed above. My CPU usually ran anywhere in the 70-80% and lately had been spiking up to 95% (BI 4.8.4.7). I run about 12 cameras total.

After the tweak she is purring at around 12-15% CPU, 2.5G memory. Very good tweaks for anyone who hasn't done it!

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i5-7400 swapped out for i7-7700.

6x 8mp cameras running at 20fps. Gone from 55-75% CPU which hit 92-99% on playback. To 20-30%, and 45% on playback.

The cores, the cores. She loves the extra cores offered up by the i7!

low1.png

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cant replicate the issue on an i7-7700. Remote playback of an alert recorded using Direct to Disc as a .bvr via UI3 does not hit my GPU utilisation in Task Manager.

Here's my driver versions.

Untitled.png