Inconsistant Performance for BlueIris UI3

eangulus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You and me both. I was shocked at the actual causes of those problems. Optimizing complex systems can be such a delicate task sometimes.
I have noticed one small (and not overly important) issue. The overlays are no longer working properly.

I had an image overlay on all cameras that no longer shows in the feeds, but is there when editing the Overlay. Also on 1 camera I have an overlay that includes 2 macro text files, that again show correctly in editing the overlays but not in the feed, and also it has 2 strange text lines in the feed that cannot be selected or edited in the overlay settings, and no they are a part of the camera settings either, I checked that part.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. I just figured out the missing image overlay problem. Looks like you had changed BI to run as a service and this is what made the overlays go away. Most likely this is because the image file is on a network drive and the service is running under a different user account that is having trouble accessing that drive. This explains why the local console app could load the overlay image file but the service could not. I suspect BI also was unable to access its video storage locations on the NAS as well (though I cannot confirm this). It might be possible to solve this by changing the user account which the BlueIris service runs under.

The BI Help file touches on this a little:
  • Remember to provide write access to your storage devices for your service account.

• You may switch the service account to your own account in order to provide the service the same access rights.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway I left BI running not in service mode, so the overlays are currently there.

I don't know anything about any other overlay problems that may be happening.

eangulus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyway I left BI running not in service mode, so the overlays are currently there.

I don't know anything about any other overlay problems that may be happening.
I will go check that one. Runs down to around 3-5% CPU in service mode.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eangulus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will go check that one. Runs down to around 3-5% CPU in service mode.

User seems to be the issue for both issues. The image was from a network share but also the custom macros were also saved on a share too.

Another question thou, what is the best practise with the windows user and bi? Is it best to just setup and use the administrator account, or setup a user as administrator or normal user...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck if I know. :idk: :)

I haven't needed to have BI use network shares so I just let it do its thing and not worry about the Windows accounts in use.

eangulus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heck if I know. :idk: :)

I haven't needed to have BI use network shares so I just let it do its thing and not worry about the Windows accounts in use.
Untill now I was the same. Issue is is that this is a business environment and we are going to be doing allot of custom scripting and such with bi. For example the view of the CNCs has 2 macro overlays that shows the current job running thru on the screen. Also we have the entry camera trigger a webhook that in turn sends a snapshot to chrome notifications whenever someone comes in the front door, this has had some issues because of the user/network as the image needs to be saved to the Apache folder share first before it is sent.

If I could just dump everything in he machine I would, but I am guessing that at some point I won't have the choice to do so.

At this point I am thinking of just making a username and password on both windows and the NAS identical and I shouldn't have an issue then.