iOS push notifications stopped working

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@jaydeel I don't think a $5 per OS (or even per device) cost is an issue. It is the complexity of integrating separate pieces of software, learn "some" programming or even copy-paste code followed by unavoidable trouble-shooting. It is most certainly within the technical know-how of most of us to follow clear instructions such as yours, but there is a still a information gap to bridge. As an example, "YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE " make no sense at this moment to me other than it is something I have to obtain to make the code work - but obtain from where? When life happens (job, commute, kids, homework with kids, laundry etc.) I prefer to pay a nominal fee for an APP that works and remains stable through subsequent updates, and is offered as a "total solution". I've used BI for 12+ years, and I no longer have the energy or time to do the work, because once I do it, I am on the hook for maintaining it.
I get it. Not all of us are hobbyists.

The first hurdle you mention is the lowest one. The keys are available on your Pushover dashboard https://pushover.net/.

[EDIT] OR try the email option mentioned by @wittaj .

Last edited:

phoenixs4r

n3wb
Reaction score
I really didn't care to get pushover going. But since this doesn't appear to be an overnight fix and I really wanted alerts I did.

I was very pleased I could login under multiple devices, so I don't have to pay $5 each time like the BI app. I'm also glad it doesn't even involve the BI app as I like UI3 way better for viewing.

It's also free for 30 days. So if BI is able to get it sorted I can just delete pushover, if not then I'll give them some money.

The guide for pushover leaves a bit to be desired for a guy that basically copy and pastes stuff then complains to y'all something is wrong (me), but I still managed to sort it out over a wobble pop or two last night.

Jaywizzle

n3wb
Reaction score
Just adding to the pile here, Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel 9 Pro XL getting no notifications for the last few days. On the newest stable BI server release. Tried everything to fix it for hours, no go. BI is sending the push and reports it in the log, but the phones never get it. Hopefully BI fixes this soon. Thanks to the folks who called out alternatives like Pushover, might have to look into that if this doesn't get fixed soon. I have a friend who uses iPhone only and he is still getting push notifications, so this is seemingly an android only issue, most likely due to the Google push changes due to Firebase decom.

UPDATE::: I took @jaydeel 's advise and setup Pushover with his linked instructions. Worked great and really was not that bad to get setup! Thank You Good Sir!

UPDATE 2:: @jaydeel Was spot on, notifications are much faster than BI was, normally within a second or two of the event. I don't mind the UI3 Alert streaming instead of the app. In all honesty, both work just fine.

Last edited:

NonTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it's worth. I have been somewhat of a total dunce with all things "IP camera/Blue iris" related for a few years. Don't have hardly anything set up that Blue iris is capable of. Have read so much on this site I have made myself dizzy. Saw the pushover app thread awhile back and said maybe in the future as it looked over whelming for me. But I amazingly set it up in just a couple hours no trouble shooting. Have no idea half of what the instructions are talking about (probably more). This push over works so fast compared to the BI app, (no lag really). Wish I had done it sooner. Ken from Blue iris is great as is his software, but jaydeel, showed me a better way for notifications and this old man got er done.

Reaction score
Tried SMS as a backup, but ATT is terrible apparently, alerts take 30 minutes to HOURS! to arrive. So, I gave up and reluctantly implemented pushover, still testing, setup is not effortless but it isn't terrible. So far it seems at least as reliable as the BI app.

VRao

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've been having the same problem with android notifications for a couple of days now.
Had a question , has anyone tried triggering a test notification in the BI alert window ?. It used to say success or something and send a notification to my phone but now it says-> action skipped (disabled or profile/source filters).

Log still reports push notification ok to phone when alert conditions are met but nothing actually arrives on the phone as everyone else here mentioned.

Worth mentioning my subscription is no longer active, does the notification feature cease once subscription ends or something?

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Worth mentioning my subscription is no longer active, does the notification feature cease once subscription ends or something?
Your account, whether active or not, has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
5.7.9.2 was just released, purportedly with a fix for some configurations.
Seen your post and updated to 5.7.9.2 I can confirm push notifications are working again on my android !!!!!!!! No snapshot pic in the notification but I am not complaining one bit.

prosumer

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, just run a quick test myself on the latest version and it's working.

It must've been released mere hours after I finally found the time to setup pushover

I note that @VRao doesn't have a support licence. I assume that as this is a BI application update on windows then anyone out of support won't be able to get working push notifications anymore...

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, push notifications working again BUT I notice that "custom sound" for notifications is not. It give the standard sound on the phone when the notification arrives. My bet is the sound issue will resolved at the same time as the 3d image attachment fix comes.

stev067

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, push notifications working again BUT I notice that "custom sound" for notifications is not. It give the standard sound on the phone when the notification arrives. My bet is the sound issue will resolved at the same time as the 3d image attachment fix comes.
Mine are coming through as "Miscellaneous." If you long-press one of the notifications and click the gear/cog to view the notification settings, you can edit the sound for BI Miscellaneous notifications.

gmouer

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine are coming through as "Miscellaneous." If you long-press one of the notifications and click the gear/cog to view the notification settings, you can edit the sound for BI Miscellaneous notifications.
Interesting. The sound always used was set in Blue Iris, under the camera "on alert" tab. Apparently BI uploads that sound along with the clip, or I should say used to before the latest issues. The sound was not one of the ones listed on the phone.

f1anatic

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm as well that Notifications are working again with 5.9.7.2. I also got PushOver APP to work. Will likely keep both, for now.

stev067

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds like they are aware of the "custom sounds" issue also, as it was added in the email response from support.

1725905247061.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does this mean folks out of subscription won't get the fix?.
That appears to be the case.

Just remember this was a Google/Android change and BI was a casualty of this change. It was not BI's fault or attempt to make more money.

Also keep in mind android users have been lucky to date as Apple requires a new certificate like yearly that can only be obtained with BI updates.

f1anatic

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this mean folks out of subscription won't get the fix?.
You can always purchase an annual extended support (or something like that) which delivers essentially a years's worth of any updates or improvements for ~40% less.