Is this the most logical server to build?

6010fd12

n3wb
Reaction score
I built a mini tower last year around an 15-10400. It runs Blue Iris, Plex and my home automation program (HomeSeer) as well as VMWare workstation with 3 additional Win10 VM's for downloads, and other things. I originally installed the 12 TB drive in the case but ended up getting a Synology 6 Bay nas and I store my video clips on it. The mini tower uses about 45 watts 24/7 and the 6 bay (60 TB of storage) runs around 60 watts. I am in S Cal and the cost of electricity is ridiculous. I replaced my old SuperMicro tower from 2016 which was burning through 200 watts an hour :(. So far the mini tower with the nas has worked out great If you need more horse power, the i5-10600 scores 14,034

View attachment 120894

View attachment 120895

View attachment 120897

View attachment 120899

View attachment 120900
Very interesting. Going to have to check this out. Thank you. :) also how many cameras are you running and at what MP total? Are you running deepstack as well? What does your cpu usage normally look like?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I see on the Dell Precision3630 .PDF specs pages, that it natively supports the 80 watt Xeon processors, and the i9 series processors, along with the 8th gen processors.
The XPS is not specifically saying what it supports beyond 8th Gen cpu's, although we have seen some with the i7-9700. perhaps a running change in production. or a BIOs Update.
the 3630 Precision, support the listed chips below and other Xeons on the next page up in that .PDF file.
Screenshot 2022-03-03 222437.png

Last edited:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very interesting. Going to have to check this out. Thank you. :) also how many cameras are you running and at what MP total? Are you running deepstack as well? What does your cpu usage normally look like?
15 cams around 77 MP/s. and I am running DeepStack. CPU in yellow at the Bottom. Temps in red at the top.

This is one hour. Now I will say that if it gets real windy like it has over the last month or so, the numbers go up, but generally this is how the system runs. Note - the spike at the end is because I opened Blue Iris via remote on that machine, and watched 4 cams at 8x speed for a couple of minutes to show what happens under a load. I generally don't access this machine very much, I just use UI3. I will say that I live on a pretty quiet street but when I do get a lot of activity I will see spikes but it doesn't really effect the cpu or temps. I will see if I can post a better example later on today

T22-288.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think it's better to wait a couple of months for the prices to drop down or buy now? I won't be using the systems for another 8-10 months as my house is being built.
I would wait if it is going to be months before you need the machine. I don't see supply issues getting worse over the next few months, and prices generally fall overtime for used computer equipment. I realize COVID has temporarily caused an increase in prices, but I don't think it has effected these prices too much. Again, I bought two very similar machines - one before COVID and one during and the COVID machine was actually less expensive (which I would expect).