Just Bought Lorex 4KHDIP822NV 4K NVR + 4x Camera Kit... Is it a mistake?

shrike0064

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Western Spiral Arm of the Milkyway Galaxy.
Yep. I like AMD.
I cannot remember the i7 I used but it was an 8 core 3Ghz about 2-3 years ago and it was $650. I have since given it away.
Yes, I read about the i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding and BlueIris.
However I had already bought this AMD before seeing that BlueIris is now using QuickSync. When I was using BlueIris I had better results from the AMD Ryzen 1700x.
So I shall wait and see. If the AMD doesn't do what I want then I'll get the Intel and try again.
The main thing was neither would allow 16 camera usage using motion sensing at that time. Only 4 cameras with the i7 and 9 with the AMD. But these were cheap 1080p Chinese cameras.
So I bought the Lorex. I don't like it's antiquated interface though, and their customer support has much to be desired.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. I like AMD.
I cannot remember the i7 I used but it was an 8 core 3Ghz about 2-3 years ago and it was $650. I have since given it away.
However I had already bought this AMD before seeing that BlueIris is now using QuickSync. When I was using BlueIris I had better results from the AMD Ryzen 1700x.
So I shall wait and see. If the AMD doesn't do what I want then I'll get the Intel and try again.
The main thing was neither would allow 16 camera usage using motion sensing at that time. Only 4 cameras with the i7 and 9 with the AMD. But these were cheap 1080p Chinese cameras.
So I bought the Lorex. I don't like it's antiquated interface though, and their customer support has much to be desired.
Blue iris has been using quick sync for more than 3 years. A properly set up blue iris system 3 years ago running a Five -year-old i7 for example the 4770, could easily run all 16 1080p cameras at about 25% load or less at 15 frames per second console open. So we know that you were doing something very wrong.
I'm not saying the AMD won't be able to handle it, it will however it is overpriced and power inefficient. A bad choice for a PC running 24/7.
The purpose of my post was to point out the inaccuracies of yours, particularly that a three-year-old i7 cannot handle a pesky little load like yours. Or the implication that AMD is somehow better when in fact it's worse.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. I like AMD.
Hi @shrike0064

1) Please do take the Blue Iris discussion to the appropriate section at IPCT

2) In general, once people have started to understand and use Blue Iris they will find the Dahua OEM NVR ( or Hikvision OEM NVR ) interface less desirable.

3) Also, in general - your traditional IT related equipment consumer vendors ( HP, Dell, Lorex, LaView, .. etc ) have little incentive to staff their customer service centers with highly skilled ( more costly ) employees for products which are one time small purchases. So it is appropriate to set your expectations that you will have to do some significant DIY trouble shooting yourself for many such tech goods. Naturally companies which get monthly service fees will have a recurring revenue stream and can afford better customer service staffing. ( unless of course they are comcast.. lol, welcome to effective monopolies )

Yes, imho they should have provided an RMA from my understanding of the situation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hum. interesting. Evidently so. Both would run all 16 cameras just fine with 100% full time record, but would max out the cpu when using motion sense.
30hz frame rates.
Nope, you either had it misconfigured or were using a first generation i7 or both.