Just Sharing My Progress

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sorry I just burst out with the question rather than searching first.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these "snapshots" from the camera, or you having "paused" the video and grabbed a screenshot?

Can you report your camera settings, I'm especially interested in: fps, bandwidth, codec and more importantly: iFrame interval. I suspect the latter not being equally set as your fps. iFrame "buildups" can render these impurfections.

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks for steering me toward the frame rate, but I don't think that was the problem. I checked the footage on the local machine and it was solid. I think the issue was related to UI3. Possibly my crappy WIFI connection? Here's the native footage.
Front Door Cam Delivery Footage - YouTube

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And just like that, ladies and gentlemen, Phase 2 is complete! I installed a 3.6mm front door cam at 6 ft in corridor orientation. I was going to install it at 5 ft but I just happened to be checking things out at sunset the other day and noticed that it was in direct sunlight. Taking my time definitely paid off this time.

Great job @smithb

That looks really nice there.

Reaction score
I have similar issues with UI3 and I am hard wired to my network. This is especially significant if I try and play back a clip or alert on UI3. The clip looks fine if I view it directly from BI on the desktop running BI, but sometimes if I view them from a different desktop in my home office using UI3, it pixelates. It seems to be random.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for steering me toward the frame rate, but I don't think that was the problem. I checked the footage on the local machine and it was solid. I think the issue was related to UI3. Possibly my crappy WIFI connection? Here's the native footage.
Front Door Cam Delivery Footage - YouTube
The quality for UI3 can be set in UI3 and in Blue Iris webserver. See the UI3 dedicated thread for more info.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That could be IR reflection from the post/ceiling. Not from inside the cam.
I finally got a chance to play around with the IR settings. Here are some snapshots. It appears that the glare does indeed originate from the internal IR.

Dome installed and internal IR ON:

Dome installed and Internal IR OFF:

Dome removed and internal IR ON:

Dome removed and internal IR OFF:

Dome installed, internal IR OFF, external IR ON:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to play around with the IR settings. Here are some snapshots. It appears that the glare does indeed originate from the internal IR ...
Hi @smithb

How does it look in color mode at night? ( one of my favorite uses of the starlight models is that they allow me to run in color mode when there is less light than the day, but still enough for a good color picture )

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s a great thought. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here it is with forced color enabled:

Here it is a minute later in B&W:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And just like that, ladies and gentlemen, Phase 2 is complete! I installed a 3.6mm front door cam at 6 ft in corridor orientation. I was going to install it at 5 ft but I just happened to be checking things out at sunset the other day and noticed that it was in direct sunlight. Taking my time definitely paid off this time.

Did you use a junction box for the 4231, or is that mounted flush?

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I mounted the 4231 flush. I bought a jb for it but it looked pretty clunky being so close to the door.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice job!

While you are asking for comments I'd ask if you considered a camera mounted on the second column from to the left. Specifically, mounted on the inside side such that it's not visible from the street and somewhat protected from the rain. That way you can see your delivered package sitting there. Right now it appears you can see someone delivering a package but the package itself at the doorstep is not visible.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to post the install pics. Its great to see how well the cameras blend in when done right. One thing my wife is hesitant about is having cameras all over the outside of our house and looking like warts on a frog.

Work looks good. I hope mine comes even close!

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. My wife was apprehensive, as well, but once she started talking to our neighbors she found out that nearly everyone either had at least one camera or were in the market for a system. That kind of gave me a little boost. Also, one of our neighbors had their Ring doorbell vandalized last week by a really creepy guy with a utility knife. The video had a great view of his belly and part of his chin, but was otherwise pretty much useless. The WAF went way up when she saw the video quality of our cameras.

@Sybertiger I’ll probably put another mini wedge in the ceiling at the far end of the porch at some point in the future to cover the view of the floor. However, my next priority is to get some cameras out back and put a telephoto on the cul de sac.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
@Sybertiger I’ll probably put another mini wedge in the ceiling at the far end of the porch at some point in the future to cover the view of the floor. However, my next priority is to get some cameras out back and put a telephoto on the cul de sac.
I know a lot of folks have privacy concerns. I try to have a habit of pointing the cameras down such that they do not record my neighbor's property but they cover my yard. As best as is possible and reasonable I do not want to surveil property owned by my neighbors but sometimes it cannot be helped with homes so close. I figure that trying to be "the nice guy" and help guard my neighbors' property is not always well received even though the intent may be good. Likewise, I would not feel comfortable if my neighbor had all his cameras pointing my way and recording my every move. I'm positive that if I installed a telephoto camera pointed into the cul-de-sac across the street from my house I would be labeled a "creepy" neighbor. I've seen where the HOA property managers have been out taking pics of an area that was complained about by a homeowner only to be confronted by another homeowner suspicious that this person was talking pics of their teenage daughters and demanded he give his cell phone to her so she could double check his pics.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m fortunate in that my neighborhood is uncommonly awesome. Everyone is pretty chill and accepts that, for the most part, we’re all looking out for each other.