Looking for advice of Camera and Software

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I just bought some crap off Amazon( Jidetechs) when I was new. After seeing that user interface, I began poring over the forums to see what was good, and what was shite.
Although both Jidetechs are still running, I hate to even visit their web pages to change anything....total pain in the ass.
I'm comfortable with the Dahua UI, ( but they just changed again) still better than Jidetechs.
You can over think it and over analyze it......but you can always use a 5442 ZE in any setup....you could start with one of those......or 2.....

agarwaldvk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was looking at the one of 5442 camera suggested above - these are very expensive cameras here in Australia - for some reason the pricing here is higher by about a factor of about 1.5 and these ones come at around AUD550, definitely beyond my budget for multiple such units.

Alternatively, I was considering Uniview (though the better of Hanwha as most of theirs are 5MP on 1/2.7" - 1/3" sensors) - which are seemingly not so bad and have similar specs (at least to my untrained eye) :-

Pro Series Bullet/Dome VF - 2.8-12 with same specs (Bullet - 1 off at front, 1 off at either side)
1693008820468.png

Prime Series Turret - Fixed - 2.8mm (1 off at entry door, 1 at garage door and 2 off under verandah)
1693008654535.png

Uncertain about the one at the back - it could either be turret (fixed) or bullet (VF) as domes ares not recommended for outdoor here on this forum for good reason unless this accessory is deemed acceptable
1693009459059.png
Can someone please advise if these are half decent cameras that I can consider buying? The corresponding prices are AUD350 (bullet and dome) and AUD275 for turret.

Best regards

Deepak

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was looking at the one of 5442 camera suggested above - these are very expensive cameras here in Australia - for some reason the pricing here is higher by about a factor of about 1.5 and these ones come at around AUD550, definitely beyond my budget for multiple such units.

Alternatively, I was considering Uniview (though the better of Hanwha as most of theirs are 5MP on 1/2.7" - 1/3" sensors) - which are seemingly not so bad and have similar specs (at least to my untrained eye) :-

Pro Series Bullet/Dome VF - 2.8-12 with same specs (Bullet - 1 off at front, 1 off at either side)
View attachment 170786

Prime Series Turret - Fixed - 2.8mm (1 off at entry door, 1 at garage door and 2 off under verandah)
View attachment 170785

Uncertain about the one at the back - it could either be turret (fixed) or bullet (VF) as domes ares not recommended for outdoor here on this forum for good reason unless this accessory is deemed acceptable
View attachment 170787
Can someone please advise if these are half decent cameras that I can consider buying? The corresponding prices are AUD350 (bullet and dome) and AUD275 for turret.

Best regards

Deepak
Based on that spec, the 4mp on 1/1.8" sensor should be ok.

Reach out to member here @EMPIRETECANDY as he might be able to best those prices.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reach out to member here @EMPIRETECANDY as he might be able to best those prices.
Around AU$300 for the 5442 (2.7 to 12mm turret) from here. I've worked it on the exchange rate of 0.65. The fixed lens versions will be cheaper, at the Amazon site have a look around.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 170786

View attachment 170785

View attachment 170787

Best regards

Deepak
Where are you finding uniview cameras with specs like that?
I haven't found any in Australia that aren't shitty 1/2.8" sensors except for ones that are stupidly expensive.
I would gladly buy them if they were easier to find at a reasonable price.

As for the dahua cameras costing so much, you're right.
We pay the Australia tax on those for sure.
You can find them for under or near $300 but that's not very often and they usually sell out pretty quick.

Your best bet is to buy from Andy as linked above.

agarwaldvk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

This is the used computer that I am considering buying as a dedicated device for storing all footage recordings with the Blue Iris software on it. Can someone please advise if this will serve the purpose well for about 8+ 4MP cameras with 24/7 recording (I am looking at installing 5 TB WD Purple HDD) in it :-

Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF i7-7700 16GB RAM 512 SSD mini PC Win10
Condition: Good condition, may have some scratches.
3 Months return to base warranty.

Brand & ModelDell OptiPlex 7050 SFF i7-7700 16GB RAM 512 SSD mini PC Win10
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor
Memory16 GB DDR4 RAM
Storage512GB SSD
GraphicsUHD 630
ConnectivityPorts
6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 USB Type-C™ for data only and 1 Type-A front/4 Type-A rear) and 4 x USB 2.0 (2 Type-A front/2 Type-A rear - 1 front with PowerShare); 4 Internal USB 2.0; 1 RJ-45; 1 Serial; 2 PS/2; 1 UAJ, 1 Line-out
2 x DP 1.2 port; 1 x DHMI 1.4 port

Audio
(1) Front: Headphone
(1) Front: Universal Audio Jack with CTIA headset support
Network
(1) RJ-45 Ethernet port
ConditionOverall good condition, some may have scratches and dents on the casing
SoftwareWindows 10 Pro 64 Bit
PeripheralPower Cable Included
DeliveryFree Delivery Australia Wide
Forgot to mention, it costs AUD300

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is more than capable. Do keep in mind that at the current moment that processor cannot handle windows 11.

In the states that would be a high price as we can get 8th gens less than that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If/since the computer is only running BI, then it shouldn't be an issue. Many folks are still running BI on Win7 machines. But it is only being used for BI and not other stuff.

The only time it could be an issue is when Win10 isn't supported and you are using the computer for other things, you could then open up the computer to risk of viruses or other issues.

agarwaldvk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks

This is going to be a dedicated PC wholly and solely for running Blue Iris and nothing else. So I take it that it should be good for me anyway.

I don't think Win10 support is going to get discontinued in a hurry given that a lot of large corporations here still run Win10 and normally there is a huge reluctance to upgrade OS's until they have been exhaustively tested and retested to not disrupt the running of their existing native and/or proprietary applications.

On that note, I should be OK, I believe.

Good on you guys. All your efforts and support has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Deepak

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks

This is going to be a dedicated PC wholly and solely for running Blue Iris and nothing else. So I take it that it should be good for me anyway.

I don't think Win10 support is going to get discontinued in a hurry given that a lot of large corporations here still run Win10 and normally there is a huge reluctance to upgrade OS's until they have been exhaustively tested and retested to not disrupt the running of their existing native and/or proprietary applications.

On that note, I should be OK, I believe.

Good on you guys. All your efforts and support has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Deepak
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Windows 10 is here for quite a while. Plus my machine is solely dedicated to Blue Iris.

agarwaldvk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry guys for the fickle mindedness but I am thinking to go for the HP EliteDesk now with a processor that is going to be supported by Windows 11 viz i5 8500 (8th generation - I understand from what I have read that 8th generation and above would be supported by Win11 unless I have got it wrong).

One of the ones that I am looking at comes with Win10Pro (64 bit), 8 gb RAM and 256 gb HDD - not sure if its got the normal HDD or SSD (SATA or NVMe). Will need to check tomorrow.

Can someone please advise if do I need to upgrade it to 16 gb in anticipation of upgrade to Win11 (or leave it for then) or 8gb would work well enough even with Win11 - this would only be used for Blue Iris and nothing else.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RAM is cheap so I personally would add 8GB to it.

Most would recommend 16GB.

agarwaldvk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry guys

Point taken - I will enquire for 16gb RAM upgrade.

Forgot to ask one more thing. I was going through the setting up guide for Blue Iris and they said that the 'New' and the 'db' folder should be on the local fast drive.

In that case, should I upgrade the storage from 256 gb to 500 gb or 256gb would do me ok?

Deepak

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry guys

Point taken - I will enquire for 16gb RAM upgrade.

Forgot to ask one more thing. I was going through the setting up guide for Blue Iris and they said that the 'New' and the 'db' folder should be on the local fast drive.

In that case, should I upgrade the storage from 256 gb to 500 gb or 256gb would do me ok?

Deepak
256GB SSD is big enough for Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder; surveillance-rated spinning HDD for all video clips, including "New".

The key word there is "local", meaning "not a network drive."

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. Only have Windows and BI on the SSD. Put all the video to an HDD. And this should be internal HDD, not external on USB port.

What you don't want to do is move from NEW to STORED on the same drive or another drive in the box - if you have two drives it is better to split the cameras across both drives. Only move to STORED if going to NAS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, it would make sense to upgrade to Win11 when you first get it before you install BI. Simply download the Windows Media Creation Tool and have it overwrite the existing SSD. Using this tool will also remove all the manufacturer bloatware.

Reaction score
Internet provider changed my gateway from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1. All my cameras have static ip addresses. I have deleted half dozen cameras and reinstalled them and they are working fine. Another 20 cameras are not easily accessible for me, so I prefer to modify the cameras' gateway with software.

I have EZVIZ IP cameras, so I have EZVIZ Studio on pc and using a Hikvision DVR. If I log-in online, I am on gateway 10 and EZVIZ Studio don't let me modify the cameras on the previous gateway 0. If I change my pc to gateway 0, I don't have internet and unable to log-in to EZVIZ Studio. If I log-in to EZVIZ Studio and then change my pc to gateway 0 and use EZVIZ Studio refresh, EZVIZ is still on gateway 10. I need expert help.

Last edited: