Mail Thief

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hoping this is in the correct section, I was hoping I can get some help in cleaning up a video or image to attempt to get a license plate number. Not sure what if anything you guys use or if there are any experts here willing to help, I know it can be time consuming doing things like this.

A little backstory, noticed someone take my mail one day while at home. He drove up to my mailbox took the mail and left. I then went through my DVR (Self built PC running Blue Iris) and found him stopping at my home about 10 times during the month of January. Most of them where in the night, so i could not get any good footage of his plate. However he came by during the day and I was able to get a clearer but not great view of his license plate. I've made a report with the police, but not sure they will do much without any clear evidence. He's taken mail in at least 3 occasions, the other times he's left empty handed. He seems to have picked me as a target as he only stops at my mailbox from the houses nearby. Perhaps it's because he found mail.

I've uploaded a picture of the vehicle, I have exported the video from blue iris, have original blue iris files and can get anything else that may be of help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for your responses, it is a California plate. The car is a volvo s60, that information was given to the police officer, they came and took the video and gave me a report # and told me it would be ready in about a month. I've also written down some possibilities from other screen grabs I got:

8FX3L71
8EX3L71
BEXJL71
BEX3L71

I will upload the videos, I have tonight when I get home and post them here. Again thank you for all your help, nothing bothers me more than knowing someone is actively trying to steal your information. It's tax season, so I'm sure that is what they are looking for. I've already took some steps with my local post office to stop delivery of mail until i notify them. I guess I will need to upgrade to a PTZ POE camera, from this current bullet poe camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for your responses, it is a California plate. The car is a volvo s60, that information was given to the police officer, they came and took the video and gave me a report # and told me it would be ready in about a month. I've also written down some possibilities from other screen grabs I got:

8FX3L71
8EX3L71
BEXJL71
BEX3L71

I will upload the videos, I have tonight when I get home and post them here. Again thank you for all your help, nothing bothers me more than knowing someone is actively trying to steal your information. It's tax season, so I'm sure that is what they are looking for. I've already took some steps with my local post office to stop delivery of mail until i notify them. I guess I will need to upgrade to a PTZ POE camera, from this current bullet poe camera.
If you can you may want to see about getting more pixels covering your mailbox with another varifocal camera.

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh wow really? Wow great work! Not sure how you got that, but awesome. Hopefully the police can run with this!

I will definitely look into getting more coverage in my mailbox. My house is about 60-80 feet away from my fence line so running cable is a hassle. I used a pine tree to mount the current camera. I'd like to cover my property with more cameras up front, just need to make the time to dig trenches run cable and buy more cameras.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Most likely 8FKS171. That is a new plate on an old car. Maybe stolen? Could be 8EKS171.
I checked a few plate variants, and this was the only valid one and it just so happens to belong to a volvo.

The car was a total loss in October, so it was likely purchased cheap at auction. The plates seem to match the vehicle.

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked a few plate variants, and this was the only valid one and it just so happens to belong to a volvo.

The car was a total loss in October, so it was likely purchased cheap at auction. The plates seem to match the vehicle.
This Volvo does have some visible damage to the driver door, you can make out some indentations in the body work. Just hoping it's registered to the correct address where this guy lives, and hope the police can nab him.

I tried to upload media here, but not sure what was happening, it would go through the progress of uploading up to 100% but then nothing happened. Unless I'm doing something wrong. ;)

Here are some of the better videos I've captured of this guy, he's visited my mailbox around 10-12 times at different hours of the day/night. A couple of times, he's had a passenger who gets out and checks the mailbox.

I called the Sheriff today, but they told me to call back on Monday when there was a detective available. I need to better position my camera, it's catching to much sky, so will work on that next week, when we hopefully don't have rain. Yes, it's raining in SoCal. :)

I will start planning more security cameras around my yard and driveway areas. Still a newbie learning and reading this site, has gained me some nice ideas!

View media item 36View media item 35View media item 34

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt that the lazy turd is on his way home after working all night, stops by weekdays, middle of the day. He's a bum and a thief.

I'd go whole hog on him: the police (as you have done), Facebook (he's a local, some of your local FB friends might have some info) and file a mail theft complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

I abhor thieves. :angry:

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, thieves are the worst. Had my truck stolen back in 2011 which I had modified and had spend a lot of time and money on. Ever since that day, I no longer have compassion towards thieves. I did file a report with USPIS, the day after I filed a police report. Although I never heard back from them. I'm looking into the Dahua's and planning on getting the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E, from reading the cliff notes this camera should help me out, in that area of my home? Eventually I will convert my other cams to Dahua's.

Reaction score
A 2nd camera zoomed in tight on a 12 foot square around the mailbox just to get crazy high ppf, on account he checks it regularly and leaves it open on you afterwards. Post that on Facebook and give a copy to police :D

90% chance they know who the guy is once the get a good look at his mug.

My question do you get lots of checks or something in the mail? Just curious why he keeps stopping by, 90% of the crap I receive is garbage, the other 10% bills!

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Tangent I will definitely be opting out of credit offers, that is what I get the most. Don't get any checks via mail, I'm assuming due to it being tax season and W-2's being mailed out, he thinks he can grab ours. He found mail on back to back days on January the 1st & 2nd, I was out of town and my mail sat there. That probably caused him to start coming more often, since he only seems to stop at my mailbox.

I've put a service stop for my mail and i pick it up on Saturday's for now. I've also purchased a secured mailbox with a lock, hoping this will deter the easy grab & goes,will install next weekend if it doesn't rain. I've signed up for informed delivery from USPS, they email you scans of what's coming in the mail and have a portal you can logon onto as well. Informed Delivery it's free too! I've had identity theft issues in the past, so my credit report is already frozen.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 2nd camera zoomed in tight on a 12 foot square around the mailbox just to get crazy high ppf, on account he checks it regularly and leaves it open on you afterwards. Post that on Facebook and give a copy to police :D

90% chance they know who the guy is once the get a good look at his mug.

My question do you get lots of checks or something in the mail? Just curious why he keeps stopping by, 90% of the crap I receive is garbage, the other 10% bills!
You could even put a nice blown up picture of him inside your mailbox labeled thief. If I had frequent mail theft like that, I'd have a hard time resisting the temptation to mount my mailbox on some rubber and hook it to an electric fence charger that's active only at night.