Mini dome cameras? Need sugguestion for Mini POE dome cameras?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently bought a 4ch Poe kit Reolink on amazon. Client said domes were "HUGE" and "UGLY".

Ive seen the low-profile domes from Dahua etc. But the puck footprint is still same as a dome.

Are there any mini dome camersas in a 4ch pack? Poe

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the video quality at night is even worse...

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
She just wants a small poe camera for under the eves of the house. Doesnt have to be dome. Dome looks less obvious than bullet?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recently bought a 4ch Poe kit Reolink on amazon. Client said domes were "HUGE" and "UGLY".

Ive seen the low-profile domes from Dahua etc. But the puck footprint is still same as a dome.

Are there any mini dome camersas in a 4ch pack? Poe

Thanks
Mini-dome wedges imho not great for soffits .. go with a standard turret camera ..

If she thinks they are not going to look good, well then I'd not install them unless she can accept it.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mini-dome wedges imho not great for soffits .. go with a standard turret camera ..

If she thinks they are not going to look good, well then I'd not install them unless she can accept it.
Any "smaller" poe mini dome turrents you sugguest? looking for a 4pack with dvr like riolink sells.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You realize any of these 4pack big box store type cameras are going to be complete crap and will only let her know what time something happened?

Here is the quality of a Swann system I posted in another thread. But they do have small cameras.

1655874535823.png

If that is all she cares about, then throw up some arlos - small form factor and no wires. You will just be recharging batteries unless you run power or add a solar panel to them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If she doesn't care that the quality is garbage but wants a less intrusive appearanxe then maybe Nest doorbell cam and Nest floodlight cams. Oh gawd, I can't believe I uttered that....I need a shower.
I said arlos LOL

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You realize any of these 4pack big box store type cameras are going to be complete crap and will only let her know what time something happened?

Here is the quality of a Swann system I posted in another thread. But they do have small cameras.

View attachment 131414

If that is all she cares about, then throw up some arlos - small form factor and no wires. You will just be recharging batteries unless you run power or add a solar panel to them.
Oh helll no. This looks like crap. Ok so we buy seperates. Any smaller individual cams out there that are worth it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recognizing that the quality will still suffer at night at distance, I would look at a Lorex or Amcrest system if she won't let you put in a real system. And then spend the time to take them off of auto settings to dial them in to her field of view to give her the best chance of anything useful.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recognizing that the quality will still suffer at night at distance, I would look at a Lorex or Amcrest system if she won't let you put in a real system. And then spend the time to take them off of auto settings to dial them in to her field of view to give her the best chance of anything useful.
Is there a comparison of Lorex vd dahua empiretec turret dome?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a comparison of Lorex vd dahua empiretec turret dome?
Any "smaller" poe mini dome turrents you sugguest? looking for a 4pack with dvr like riolink sells.
Oh helll no. This looks like crap. Ok so we buy seperates. Any smaller individual cams out there that are worth it?

Hi @stevef22

DO check out the cliff notes and various threads ..

We've all gone thru this learning experiences, and we have all gotten boxes of crap lying about some place which are not worth it ..

That stated:
1) Get a normal Turret models cameras .. I like to use junction boxes .. are they pretty .. not really, but they work.​
2) Get larger sensor models if you are about quality of image capture, especially in low light. DO NOT look for smallest or smaller cameras .. look for cameras that work well.​
3) Expect cheap kits = poor performance ..​
4) Most of us do not recommend Reolink ..​
5) Lorex is now owned by Dahua, and most of the cameras and kits are Dahua OEM .. they're putting in smaller sensors now so I do not like them as much any more.​
6) Amcrest and EmpireTecAndy sell Dahua OEM cameras - and both are approved vendors here on the forum as they've passed the approval test.​
Many of us buy from Andy to get the better cameras.​
Amcrest I have also, and depending on the camera model can be decent. The better cameras I have are from Andy.​
7) Dome cameras can be problematic outdoors .. most members here recommend avoiding them .. you can search the forum for reasons why ..​

Advice .. determine what she wants to do with her cameras ..

ID someone? See the DORI section of the cliff notes ..

See something in low light .. do not get Reolink .. get cameras which have larger sensors ..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is her objection to the size of the cams because it bothers her to see them up close or she is more worried about street appeal as seen by people walking or driving past her house? I can tell you that from the street my giant mongo cams aren't that obvious. Here's what a wedge cam and a boobie cam (both dome cams) look like as seen from 10 feet away. Then another pic from the street (boobie cam on ceiling only at the time). And, I don't recommend these cams except for my specific scenario which is the sun never shines on them directly.

1655912230550.png1655912256437.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what the wedge cam sees in corridor mode versus normal mode:
1655912453682.png1655912761822.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,
Avoid Reolink like the plague.

These cams are the king of the hill currently, the 5442 series of Dahua cams.

Tell her to keep in mind that 99% of people are oblivious and never see most cameras. I have one at my front door, that is 5 feet from peoples heads when standing at the door, and most folks NEVER notice.

Study this: POE, DOME, 4MP+ Suggestion