Multiple password resets required in recent months

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought 4 Hikvision 2132 dome cameras about 3.5 years ago and use them with blueiris software. About 6 months ago, a couple of them started requiring password resets. i have had to contact Hikvision for reset 6 times. The 2 that keep resetting have the same firmware: 5.2 140721. The other 2 have different firmwares. Could this be related to the resets recently?
Thanks, Eric

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The 1111aaaa password worked, so I will change the passwords back and begin the adventure of updating firmware.
Eric

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The 1111aaaa password worked, so I will change the passwords back and begin the adventure of updating firmware.
Eric
More important than updating firmware is to turn of upnp and Port forward. There is no reason for it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep it simple.

Start with an Asus router. It supports openvpn which is easy to set up. Also use the parental option and block all the camera Mac addresses both inbound and out bound.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't change my router. Since I have xfinity triple play (TV, Phone, Internet), they require the use of their router. I also would rather not figure out how to use vpn. I have figured out how to turn off upnp on my cams and my router. I can't find anything about upnp in blueiris, so I'm guessing I am all set with turning it off. I have port forwarding turned on for 8080. When accessing blueiris remotely on the iphone app, it logs in using the ip address with 8080 at the end. Can I really turn off port forwarding on the router and still have the iphone app work?
Thanks! Eric

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't change my router. Since I have xfinity triple play (TV, Phone, Internet), they require the use of their router. I also would rather not figure out how to use vpn. I have figured out how to turn off upnp on my cams and my router. I can't find anything about upnp in blueiris, so I'm guessing I am all set with turning it off. I have port forwarding turned on for 8080. When accessing blueiris remotely on the iphone app, it logs in using the ip address with 8080 at the end. Can I really turn off port forwarding on the router and still have the iphone app work?
Thanks! Eric
If you can't change your router, that's okay, you can "promote" one of your internal devices (raspberry pi, VM, BI server, .. ) to an OpenVPN server. You'll only need to port forward VPN traffic (eg std UDP 1194 or non-standard port 443) to that device, and you can drop all port forwards to your IPC/cams. This way, you are better protected than you are today.
Good luck!
CC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Xfinity for my phone and internet, not tv. I have the Xfinity modem set to pass through. I use an Asus router. If you do not set up a VPN and block all cameras from the internet. You will me hacked.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool, I'll look into that passthrough option. Thanks!

I have Xfinity for my phone and internet, not tv. I have the Xfinity modem set to pass through. I use an Asus router. If you do not set up a VPN and block all cameras from the internet. You will me hacked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Eric
You are NOT required to use their router for triple play. You will actually save about 10 bux a month buying your own modem and router.
You need port forwarding OR vpn for remote access. however, you got hacked not because your blue iris system was forwarded, but because each of your cameras auto port forwarded using upnp.