need help purchasing a camera system

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
currently i have a swann 4K system
love the quality, however the software sucks - false motion detection non stop, when it rains its a disaster, camera lens also gets covered in water and its nonnnn stop
software is horrible

i am looking for something for an automotive dealership
so
1. good quality
2. good software so it only detects when it sees people or cars here
3. some sort of alert sent to my phone
4. ability to make different sounds per camera (i.e. door camera makes swoosh sound, outside camera bangs shotgun sound
5. ability to use any or most IP cameras
with the swann system i cannot use the cameras i already have, it only accepts swann cameras

i dont necessarily need to buy a complete kit (like i currently have, NVR, camera's etc)
i am ok with using computer + software + IP Cameras
if someone can point me in right direction
previously i used the owners camaera system he used "xmeye" i think
it was pretty cool, i could set up different sounds for motion, but his cameras were breaking down so i got this system

thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
love the quality, however the software sucks - false motion detection non stop, when it rains its a disaster, camera lens also gets covered in water and its nonnnn stop
software is horrible

so
1. good quality
4. ability to make different sounds per camera (i.e. door camera makes swoosh sound, outside camera bangs shotgun sound
with the swann system i cannot use the cameras i already have, it only accepts swann cameras

i dont necessarily need to buy a complete kit (like i currently have, NVR, camera's etc)
it was pretty cool, i could set up different sounds for motion, but his cameras were breaking down so i got this system

thanks
Welcome @RWDM3

Camera based motion detection is not 100% spot on.

Look at augmenting your setup with alarm sensors to reduce false positives.

Consider something like Blue Iris on a PC - there's a demo version you can try out.

Reaction score
You could download blueiris and give it a shot. You get a week trial and it should connect to your existing cameras no problem. I really like how much you can customize the motion detection as well. I've never tried custom sound alerts, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're included.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i will try blueiris
what about the camera aspect?
any recommendations

the 4k swann system was around $1300 for 6 camera's + NVR
i wont have need for NVR if i use computer so maybe i can put $ towards better camera's

also what do i need to hook them up without NVR

POE switches and thats it?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Reaction score
Wow, the price of them compared to the muck I use. I'd love to get my hands on some of them to compare.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the goto vendor for the Dahua cameras is Andy, a forum member.
@EMPIRETECANDY
stores
amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
his aliexpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
his email address, if it is not in his store: kingsecurity2014@163.com

He has fast shipping world wide, and is highly recommended by many forum members.

There are excellent reviews of cameras on this forum, by forum members, search...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
software is horrible

so
1. good quality

thanks
You might want to have a chat with @bababouy he has this service: Remote Video Surveillance Monitoring - CCTV Security Cameras - Florida

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cameras are for

1. to have an idea whos coming and going during day (parts drop off, thief, customer you dont want to deal with. haha just kidding)
just so if im working on a car i can hear (i.e.) beep beep beep
so i know to check whos outside

2. mainly for time im not there
i have someone who watches cameras during night but the current system only beeps when it senses motion and doesnt always wake him up
ideally. less false alarms (so he doesnt wake up ans think its nothing like other times)
and some sort of setting so if its confirmed motion (on numerous cameras) it wakes him up so he can see whats going on

ant input is appreciated

as far as what cameras i nees

i need 2 for the 2 offices to be recording on what's going on there in case something goes missing
3-4 inside shop .. similar reason (none will be motion inside - unless i can set em up so they are once i leave incase anyone gets inside)
and cameras outside just watching cars and whos coming basically

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
click below for the diagram (click area)

area

also i am looking most importantly
how can i view these cameras at home or on my phone (so they alert my phone when there is motion)
i tried downloading the blue iris app on my android but says error
i tried the demo on PC but cant connect to cameras
just want to get warnings on my mobile if there is something going on

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried using my "homesafe" app yesterday
such garbage

the alerts that come to app on my phone dont do anything until I open up phone and go to app
then I got 27 alerts (which were for bullshit weather... rain on lens and sun coming out behind clouds and triggering camera)

on the PC it looks fine but absolutely no alerts came through because only motion alerts are available in setting
and according to app on phone it was INTELLIGENT ALARM going off

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am assuming that the solid lines represent the building and the shaded lines are the yard or parking area. What does the X represent...

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the backwards L is the area I need covered

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
honestly so sick of all this software
tried like 6 programs - none of them are able to connect
blue iris connected and then disconnects shortly after

all i want is a way to view whats going on while at home

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you wont get help if you dont detail your problem and what you have tried to solve it. Simply stating it disconnects is useless. Your issues are user error. All the six software packages are sick of you.
If you want dumbed down people and vehicle detection look at sighthound, but that will also disconnect if you have a crappy network setup.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Motion detection on cameras is garbage. All of them. Even the really expensive ones.
If you want to trigger an alarm, there are cameras available with proper movement sensors, ie PIRs.
The best thing to do though if reliable alarm triggering from people or vehicles is required is to get a dedicated system installed by a pro (beam sensor to cover the gate when a vehicle or person enters, strategically positioned motion sensors around the outside of the building to pick up anyone who bypasses the gate).

Standard camera motion detection is working off changes to the image. That's going to trigger from leaves, rain, spiders etc no matter what you do.

Some cameras (I know Swann do some) have a thermal sensor which in theory should be slightly better, but tbh I wouldn't trust cheap cameras to provide a reliable perimeter alarm system if it was even mildly important, I'd just bite the bullet and get a few proper intruder alarm devices fitted where I wanted to monitor for people. After that you still need to get a method you like for transmitting those signals but you have to start by generating reliable alarms in the first place.

Obviously some newer cameras have vca events, which in fairness are multiple times more reliable than motion detection, but even they can't match a proper motion sensor that's a fraction of the price.