Need to cover 300sqm of area. Planning to go 16 channel analog + DVR hooked to BlueIris

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Good day to you all. I'm presented with a financial problem. I need to cover 300 sqm of area with night vision and I cannot afford that many IP cameras. I already have 4 IP cameras running but the area I have to cover now is just too much. Every square meter has to be covered. I was thinking to go analog since they are far cheaper then have blue iris communicate with the DVR to get the feed. Is this plausible? I was reading this link when I saw this suggested. My concern is that will a gigabit network handle all 16 camera streams from 1 cable. including the existing 4 IP cameras running at the moment. I'm also detecting that I will need to drastically upgrade storage and CPU on my blueiris server to handle this much load.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Good day to you all. I'm presented with a financial problem. I need to cover 300 sqm of area with night vision and I cannot afford that many IP cameras. I already have 4 IP cameras running but the area I have to cover now is just too much. Every square meter has to be covered. I was thinking to go analog since they are far cheaper then have blue iris communicate with the DVR to get the feed. Is this plausible? I was reading this link when I saw this suggested. My concern is that will a gigabit network handle all 16 camera streams from 1 cable. including the existing 4 IP cameras running at the moment. I'm also detecting that I will need to drastically upgrade storage and CPU on my blueiris server to handle this much load.
Welcome @BlokehMan

300 M^2 / 300 Square Meters covered = requirement.

So, first I would look closer at what you really need.

Look at the DORI info in the cliff notes.

How much light, what pixel density, what angels, what are you really watching.... many ways to look closer at the specs and decide what the finer requirements are so that you can better match a system to deploy.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome @BlokehMan

300 M^2 / 300 Square Meters covered = requirement.

So, first I would look closer at what you really need.

Look at the DORI info in the cliff notes.

How much light, what pixel density, what angels, what are you really watching.... many ways to look closer at the specs and decide what the finer requirements are so that you can better match a system to deploy.
There are two scenarios but both should be covered. In daylight the camera should be able to watch over and identify working individuals in a warehouse. At night in pitch black environment it should be able to identify as well should someone be moving about. I'll be taking measurements later today of the area that needs to be covered but I was hoping for a general consensus on whether my idea of going 16 cam analog is gonna be cheaper for the exact same specs (identification range, angle, image quality) vs IP cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes they will, and Dahua has some very good 2MP Starlight CVI cameras. Once you go beyond that to 4MP and up, IP cameras have a clear edge in image quality IMHO

Coming from a CVI analog fan, I would recommend going IP. Yes they will be $150-$200 vs $80-$150 but the increased features and flexibility are worth it.

One huge difference is that CVI cameras lack the ability for different Day/Night settings for Shutter/Exposure. Also AI isn’t as robust on CVI cameras, and you will have to run a cable from each camera back to the DVR/XVR.

I could go on but I’d spend the money and do it right the first time.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would a very nice PTZ with accurate auto tracking be worth considering? It does depend on what is happening in the space (e.g. of many people in it at once).
Definitely have fixed cameras able to observe the whole area and possibly then the PTZ to identify the person.

I would also pay close attention to possible entrances to gain a good identification image.

Last edited:

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would a very nice PTZ was accurate auto tracking be worth considering? It does depend on what is happening in the space (e.g. of many people in it at once).
Definitely have fixed cameras able to observe the whole area and possibly then the PTZ to identify the person.

I would also pay close attention to possible entrances to gain a good identification image.
Yes I definitely welcome this. Exactly this. All other areas we just kinda want to detect movement. Then I was thinking of a 1 super high end camera to identify near the entrance. This 300sqm area is actually a 12m x 12 m area, 2 floors. The two floors have no floor separation near the entrance. There I plan to place 1 extremely high end cam PTZ possible so it can view multiple different angles at will,, also while having cheap 2MP cams to detect movement and other things.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
:wtf:
You might need to attach a picture for us to figure out how to cover this area.
By 'two floors' are you indicating this is indoors in a large warehouse?
Right I apologize. I'll try my best to make a layout with proper measurements and what needs to be watched