Nest Dropcam Recent Change?

rmoran

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 dropcams on my BI and recently upgraded my BI PC. The 4 cams worked for a day then I got home last night and they are all offline. All other cams (non nest) work fine. On the dropcam I'm getting a 403 forbidden message. Has anyone else seen this? Any solution as of yet?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 4 dropcams on my BI and recently upgraded my BI PC. The 4 cams worked for a day then I got home last night and they are all offline. All other cams (non nest) work fine. On the dropcam I'm getting a 403 forbidden message. Has anyone else seen this? Any solution as of yet?
Sounds like an issue up/down with their cloud. You may want to read this: Recording Nest cameras with Blue Iris

Last edited:

rmoran

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to keep everyone updated - I made NO changes and now they're all back online. It's apparently a Nest problem. What do y'all recommend to replace these with where I can almost even swap money wise? I hate these cams!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just to keep everyone updated - I made NO changes and now they're all back online. It's apparently a Nest problem. What do y'all recommend to replace these with where I can almost even swap money wise? I hate these cams!!!
Hi Rmoran,

The Dahua OEM 2MP starlight line of cameras are very popular.

For indoors the Hikvision OEM 2MP cube was very popular - unfortunately the best deal on those have sold out ( was about $50 - a killer deal for a good camera once you updated the firmware ).

rmoran

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Rmoran,

The Dahua OEM 2MP starlight line of cameras are very popular.

For indoors the Hikvision OEM 2MP cube was very popular - unfortunately the best deal on those have sold out ( was about $50 - a killer deal for a good camera once you updated the firmware ).
Do you have a link? I’d prefer Wi-Fi cams. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Outdoor cam link is here , available from @EMPIRETECANDY . It's not wireless, but if mandatory could be fitted with Ubiquiti bridge. I realize you're migrating from wireless Nest cams but if at all possible, string some good CAT-5e, no CCA, all solid copper, with jacket rated for application....you'll be glad you did.

Perhaps others have link to the indoor cube cam.

zlandar

n3wb
Reaction score
You still have to power a cam with either a power plug or poe Ethernet cable. I use the poe method to both power the cam and transmit data. You can buy flat Ethernet cable that you can easily route through a window or door.

If your home is not outfitted with Ethernet cabling you can use MOCA adapters if you have cable outlets. Some of the WiFi mesh devices have extra Ethernet ports you can use to communicate with the main router through Wi-Fi or wired backhaul. You will need a poe injector or poe switch to provide adequate power to the cam.

ASUS also has routers that you can set in media bridge mode where the routers are only used to transmit data back and forth. The speed, interior location, and antenna size of the router is way better for streaming video than the dinky Wi-Fi built into an outdoor cam where the signal is attenuated from the exterior wall of the home.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran into the exact same "forbidden" problem a week or two ago with my two Dropcams and just figured Nest got wise and somehow figured out how to block their use in Blue Iris. I haven't tried to see if they're available since maybe the end of July so I'll try again when I get home tonight. I was about to dump BI in the Bay and use the Dropcam and Amcrest proprietary sites again, so maybe all will be OK now. Thanks for your information! - Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran into the exact same "forbidden" problem a week or two ago with my two Dropcams and just figured Nest got wise and somehow figured out how to block their use in Blue Iris. I haven't tried to see if they're available since maybe the end of July so I'll try again when I get home tonight. I was about to dump BI in the Bay and use the Dropcam and Amcrest proprietary sites again, so maybe all will be OK now. Thanks for your information! - Mike
perhaps you should dump the dropcam in the bay....or do you like paying their tax for their limited use cams...