New Camera system Advice

magnum23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am looking advise to install a new camera system at home. I need at least 8 cameras and poe installation is a must due some cabling restrictions. I am planing to install an outdoor poe switch(haven't found one) and recommendations are welcome. I was looking at lorex 4k system, I can get it this weekend for $850, including 16 channels nvr and hardware. Any recommendations accepted. Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes.

How much do you want to be involved with the camera system? Do you want to just set it up and forget about it? Or do you want to be actively involved daily?

What is the reason for the system? Do you just want to be able to see what is going on outside, or do you want to be able to get a good face shot of a perp?

A Lorex 4K system will disappoint you in low light. You may not notice it until you need it and then cannot get a good face shot due to too many pixels on a small sensor on a cheep camera. These systems look good in the marketing promos, but in real life do not perform. Any camera can look great in daylight and even at night with no people or car movement, especially just a still image.

Why an outdoor POE switch? If you get an NVR it should have POE camera ports, so no POE switch would be needed.

magnum23

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes.

How much do you want to be involved with the camera system? Do you want to just set it up and forget about it? Or do you want to be actively involved daily?

What is the reason for the system? Do you just want to be able to see what is going on outside, or do you want to be able to get a good face shot of a perp?

A Lorex 4K system will disappoint you in low light. You may not notice it until you need it and then cannot get a good face shot due to too many pixels on a small sensor on a cheep camera. These systems look good in the marketing promos, but in real life do not perform. Any camera can look great in daylight and even at night with no people or car movement, especially just a still image.

Why an outdoor POE switch? If you get an NVR it should have POE camera ports, so no POE switch would be needed.
I
Hi everybody, I am looking advise to install a new camera system at home. I need at least 8 cameras and poe installation is a must due some cabling restrictions. I am planing to install an outdoor poe switch(haven't found one) and recommendations are welcome. I was looking at lorex 4k system, I can get it this weekend for $850, including 16 channels nvr and hardware. Any recommendations accepted. Thanks in Advance.
I need the poe switch because is almost imposible to run 8 wires inside the house, is concrete and I only have space to run 1 wire inside of the house, that is the reason for a poe switch in the roof to wire the cameras and 1 cable to the inside. I haven't found the one I am looking for. The reason for the lorex system is because the specs looks good according to the manufacturer but one of the reasons I am asking is because you guys are the experts. What do you recommend for that budget? Its possible to find something of better quality without breaking the bank? I really want to monitor the cameras from my iphone.

Reaction score
When I first started down the road you are on right now, I did not know anything about security cameras. I did not even know what I did not know. After spending quite a while on here, reading the cliff notes, etc, I ended up buying one camera, a PC to run Blue Iris (instead of an NVR), and a POE switch. I mounted that camera on a 2x4 as a test rig to see what coverage it gave me at different places. I finally realized that each place I wanted a view, the reason for the view could be different. Like my driveway. I now have three cameras covering it. Two placed low in a crisscross pattern that give excellent Face IDs, and one that gives an overview of the whole area. Each camera has a job to do and it is important to define that job and get the proper camera to fit the job. I have stayed with Dahua cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY, a member/vendor here. So I do not know about NVRs as I use Blue Iris, and I do not know anything much about other brands of cameras.

I currently have about 18 cams, some inside, some outside and two for LPR. I have 10 different models. Each model was chosen for the job.

This is why I asked you how involved do you want to be and what are you trying to accomplish.

Now, for your situation, I do not know what each of the eight position's job is, how high up it will be mounted, how far away from the AOI it will be, so it is difficult to say what cameras will cost. But a good Dahua camera will run you between $150 and $175 each. Depending on how they are mounted, a watertight box will run about $15. A decent POE switch about $50-$75. I do not know how much NVRs run. You will also need Ethernet cable and RJ45 plugs and some cable tools, to do it right.

You could get a watertight box for the POE switch rather than finding an outdoor POE switch. @bigredfish has used them and could point you in the right direction. He also uses an NVR so could advise you on that.

magnum23

n3wb
Reaction score
When I first started down the road you are on right now, I did not know anything about security cameras. I did not even know what I did not know. After spending quite a while on here, reading the cliff notes, etc, I ended up buying one camera, a PC to run Blue Iris (instead of an NVR), and a POE switch. I mounted that camera on a 2x4 as a test rig to see what coverage it gave me at different places. I finally realized that each place I wanted a view, the reason for the view could be different. Like my driveway. I now have three cameras covering it. Two placed low in a crisscross pattern that give excellent Face IDs, and one that gives an overview of the whole area. Each camera has a job to do and it is important to define that job and get the proper camera to fit the job. I have stayed with Dahua cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY, a member/vendor here. So I do not know about NVRs as I use Blue Iris, and I do not know anything much about other brands of cameras.

I currently have about 18 cams, some inside, some outside and two for LPR. I have 10 different models. Each model was chosen for the job.

This is why I asked you how involved do you want to be and what are you trying to accomplish.

Now, for your situation, I do not know what each of the eight position's job is, how high up it will be mounted, how far away from the AOI it will be, so it is difficult to say what cameras will cost. But a good Dahua camera will run you between $150 and $175 each. Depending on how they are mounted, a watertight box will run about $15. A decent POE switch about $50-$75. I do not know how much NVRs run. You will also need Ethernet cable and RJ45 plugs and some cable tools, to do it right.

You could get a watertight box for the POE switch rather than finding an outdoor POE switch. @bigredfish has used them and could point you in the right direction. He also uses an NVR so could advise you on that.
I am inclining to get the lorex kit, since it have 16 ports and comes with 8 4k cameras, it gives me space to combine with the dahua cameras in the near future. Can you recommend a good poe switch and watertight box for the job? Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Well the 16 ports on the NVR is a moot point since you will not be plugging those cameras into it. Your plan is to plug the cameras into a POE switch, then run one cable to the NVR. Make sure the NVR can be run that way. I have no idea if they can.

I am partial to the Netgear brand of switches. Others here like to get other brands from ebay like Ubiquity. You will need to know how much power each camera uses. Then pick a POE switch that can handle that much.

I do not have a recommendation on the box as I have never used one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor has a Lorex NVR and his does operate with a POE switch hooked into the back of a multi-port POE NVR. He purchased a year ago and has already upgraded two of his cameras because the Lorex 4k cameras did not cut it for night shots and purchased two from Andy on the this forum. He said he wished he didn't buy the kit now...

Last edited:

magnum23

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided a hit or miss on the lorex combo, I will place those 8 cameras in the places were I need best visibility during the day, and I am planning to buy extra ones here in the forum to combine for night visibility and the other extras. May somebody recommend a good poe switch considering that I want to place it outdoors?
Thanks in Advance!!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-------------------------
It is better to start with a small system and grow it as you learn. There is not one size fits all. There are different camera types of different situations. Take your time and learn.
Most 4K (8MP) cameras are not very good at night. Night is when you need the cameras the most
Read study plan before spending money.
------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess