New computer needed for Blue Iris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I have an old G5 DL 380 HP Xeon machine that may be repurposed is that overkill or would it be better than the 3040 I just purchased, it was was my original file server but have a new one now.
thanks
Doo
Those old servers are powerhogs..a new system will pay for itself....they also have issues running bi...

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Bud yes and sounds like a jet engine

Reaction score
With mine, I took out the DVD drive, you need it's SATA port anyways, then put the SSD in the DVD space. And HD on top.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I may go the route of plopping an SSD in one of these slim optical bay caddies/mounts (Amazon Link)

For OS and BI, can anyone comment on whether a SATA SSD vs NVMe M.2 in a PCIe slot would provide noticeable performance difference over the other? The SATA interface will be slower by nature, but I suspect it won't be noticeably slower for basic OS/BI use.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestion. I may go the route of plopping an SSD in one of these slim optical bay caddies/mounts (Amazon Link)

For OS and BI, can anyone comment on whether a SATA SSD vs NVMe M.2 in a PCIe slot would provide noticeable performance difference over the other? The SATA interface will be slower by nature, but I suspect it won't be noticeably slower for basic OS/BI use.
Be surprised if you noticed any difference

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there disadvantages for the t processors? Was looking at i5-7500T. Also, any advantage with the 7500 line vs the 6500? Thanks

steltek

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there disadvantages for the t processors? Was looking at i5-7500T. Also, any advantage with the 7500 line vs the 6500? Thanks
The 7500T is intended as a lower power desktop processor -- its lower clockspeed gets it a 35 watt TDP rating. It also is significantly outperformed in both single thread and multi-thread applications by the 6500. You don't want a 7500T.

The 7500 vs 6500 is pretty much a wash performance wise -- the 7500 is the Kaby Lake refresh of the 6500 Skylake. The 7500 performs a little better, and has improved integrated graphics with better decoding. It also supports the latest USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s vs the 5Gb/s supported on the 6500). If the prices are close together, go with the 7500. OTOH, if you end up with a 6500, you probably won't be missing much performance wise.

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 7500T is intended as a lower power desktop processor -- its lower clockspeed gets it a 35 watt TDP rating. It also is significantly outperformed in both single thread and multi-thread applications by the 6500. You don't want a 7500T.

The 7500 vs 6500 is pretty much a wash performance wise -- the 7500 is the Kaby Lake refresh of the 6500 Skylake. The 7500 performs a little better, and has improved integrated graphics with better decoding. It also supports the latest USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s vs the 5Gb/s supported on the 6500). If the prices are close together, go with the 7500. OTOH, if you end up with a 6500, you probably won't be missing much performance wise.
Thanks!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can a knowledgeable user suggest Blue Iris desktop setup that will handle 8x, 4mp Dahua Cameras please? A web link to the machine or ebay listing is preferred please.

I have a 4TB Purple drive to put in the machine from my Dahua NVR. Prefer something that has an HDMI output to plug in my TV for a screen.

I've been following along for weeks now and I have a hard time understanding Windows machines. This will be at a remote site and will need to be reliable. The idea is to have this machine constantly record for Blue Iris, but also crunch the footage at the end of the day and make time lapses of the footage. I'd also like to log into the machine remotely with a Mac and control the UI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can a knowledgeable user suggest Blue Iris desktop setup that will handle 8x, 4mp Dahua Cameras please? A web link to the machine or ebay listing is preferred please.

I have a 4TB Purple drive to put in the machine from my Dahua NVR. Prefer something that has an HDMI output to plug in my TV for a screen.

I've been following along for weeks now and I have a hard time understanding Windows machines. This will be at a remote site and will need to be reliable. The idea is to have this machine constantly record for Blue Iris, but also crunch the footage at the end of the day and make time lapses of the footage. I'd also like to log into the machine remotely with a Mac and control the UI.

Because logging in remotely can spike cpu, i would suggest an i7-6700/7700 with at least 8/16gb memory and an ssd for the OS and blue iris.

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
Would an Intel BOXNUC7I5BNK cut for about 7 cameras ranging from 4MP to 1MP? Or do I need more firepower?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would an Intel BOXNUC7I5BNK cut for about 7 cameras ranging from 4MP to 1MP? Or do I need more firepower?
Would depend on the number of 4mp...regardless, NUC is a poor choice..overpriced and relatively weak and cannot hold a 3.5 drive which are ideal for storage.
You can buy an i5-6500 system for 300...

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh true... having a wd purple drive seems to be key from what I've read around here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh true... having a wd purple drive seems to be key from what I've read around here.
you dont need a purple for your load, though its best, but 2.5 drives have limited room...if you want a system that performs nicely, use ssd for OS and BI then purple for storage..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that would work...
NEW HP EliteDesk 800 G2 I7-6700 3.40GHz 4GB RAm 500GB HDD Desktop PC Warr 2019
that is a brand new unit with warranty until 2019..you will need to add memory (buy matching memory)...they can be found cheaper if you have patience...I got mine for 400 with buy it now with SSD (but that low is unusual)..500 or so generally...
Ok thank you. Sitting patient tonight and keeping an eye out for something similar. There is only one on ebay currently. Will upgrade to matching 8gbx2 memory for a total of 2 and a small SSD drive. If anyone sees something, feel free to share :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On thing to keep in mind if you're putting the PC remotely is to enable auto-restart in the bios if there's a power failure (and make sure the PC has that option available). I'd put a good UPS in there and configure the PC to do a graceful shutdown in the event of a power failure and reboot once the power is back up. It's not something I've done so you'll need to research it.

Also make sure you don't buy a machine that's Small Form Factor (SFF) or Ultra-SFF as they can't usually take an SSD for the operating system and then a 3.5" drive for the recordings.

Finally, what versions of Windows 10 can you prevent automatic updates? It might only be Enterprise. But if the machine is remote I'd prefer not have windows update and reboot itself.

Last edited: