New computer needed for Blue Iris

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That old CPU doesn't have Quick Sync Video on-board which is a massive help for BI processing.
I was surprised that the 2013 processor (3rd generation?) in the box I'm using actually has QuickSync. It's gone from being a box I expected to use just to "kick the tires" (and see how I liked BI) to a box that I'll probably leave BI on indefinitely. CPU usage is between 10-20% for six cameras (five 2MP, one 3MP).

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The MacBook was just a test run to learn the software and see how windows 10 works. I ordered a Dell machine to run 8 cameras. I only have trial version of BI and Windows but good to know about the direct to disk!!

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you could but unless the have a caddie that fits, it will look silly...there is a thread somewhere showing how to use double sided velcro to mount it to the case, its tight...
I understand that; however, I do not see any 5040s anywhere near the same price, they are $100+ more on eBay. As long as its possible (thats what I am hearing) I am happy, this is just getting stored in the basement anyway.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a spare 2.5 mSATA SSD I was planning on using. Can't I remove the DVD drive and use the 2.5 in its place? Then use the 3.5 purple I have?
That's how I configured mine. I didn't care what is looked like, as it is hidden away. You can purchase a caddie that will replace the DVD drive and hold the SSD, if you wish.20170314_195909.jpg 20170314_195816.jpg 20170314_195716.jpg 20170314_195654.jpg

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's how I configured mine. I didn't care what is looked like, as it is hidden away. You can purchase a caddie that will replace the DVD drive and hold the SSD, if you wish.View attachment 18263 View attachment 18264 View attachment 18265 View attachment 18266
Great, thanks. Do you find that the i5-6500 runs pretty well with your setup? How much ram do you use? I see you have 8gb and most I see for sale have 4gb. I suppose I could test it before upgrading.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am sure I am missing something, but why do people keep talking about getting their CPU to run at a low percentage? is this for future expansion or to absorb increase spikes or to leave room for video processing and exporting while still recording or for energy management? I ran the math on my Macbook Pro running at 50% CPU and it pulls 35 watts or about $4-5 a month to power if not less. That seems very reasonable.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure I am missing something, but why do people keep talking about getting their CPU to run at a low percentage? is this for future expansion or to absorb increase spikes or to leave room for video processing and exporting while still recording or for energy management?
For me, it's all of the above:

1. Enough headroom to handle recording everything while I'm RDP'ed in working on stuff and one or two folks are using the web server.
2. Future growth.
3. Energy mgmt. The i7 I have is 77W at full power. I'd prefer for it to be as low as possible while doing the normal day-to-day stuff.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me, it's all of the above:

1. Enough headroom to handle recording everything while I'm RDP'ed in working on stuff and one or two folks are using the web server.
2. Future growth.
3. Energy mgmt. The i7 I have is 77W at full power. I'd prefer for it to be as low as possible while doing the normal day-to-day stuff.
That makes sense. So are a lot of people using these BI setups as their main personal home computer as well? I was just planning on tucking it away in the closet and let it run and log in remotely with Team Viewer as suggested. Future growth is important and I am sure when remote access is applied and streamed via computer or vpn or iPhone apps the demand on CPU will increase quite a bit. Personally I am interested in not only direct to disk, but also a second sub stream being recorded and turned into time lapses each day on a folder on the desktop.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are a lot of people using these BI setups as their main personal home computer as well?
Sorry, when I said "RDP'ed in working on stuff", I meant working in the BI console directly on the computer running it.

I don't think BI has a remote console (like SmartPSS for the Dahua NVRs) where you can access all functionally remotely.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think BI has a remote console (like SmartPSS for the Dahua NVRs) where you can access all functionally remotely.
Perfectly happy with that. Much better to work directly on BI then a remote app. SmartPSS is extremely buggy and you miss so many features vs the UI. I got TeamViewer set up on my test computer and it is working great. I can directly control the computer remotely and export files right onto the computers desktop and change any setting I can think of. Now I will just need to be careful to not execute any task that will drop the remote connection (i.e. turn off wifi) and figure out how to make windows 10 start the computer back up after a power failure and how to blue Iris to the start up folder. I get that there is a folder called but I can't find it after the username on windows 10. The task manger has the list but no easy way to add to it. But basically making the BI computer bulletproof and boot right back up after a power failure and start recording again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
figure out how to make windows 10 start the computer back up after a power failure
this must be done in the bios...
bi can be restarted via task scheduler or running as a service...there are many threads discussing how to do this.

camlwl

n3wb
Reaction score
Also make sure you don't buy a machine that's Small Form Factor (SFF) or Ultra-SFF as they can't usually take an SSD for the operating system and then a 3.5" drive for the recordings.
Looking at the service guide on HP's website, the Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF version does support one 2.5" hard drive and two 3.5" hard drives. Seems like it's the Dell ones that do not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the service guide on HP's website, the Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF version does support one 2.5" hard drive and two 3.5" hard drives. Seems like it's the Dell ones that do not.
That is not correct...the SFF will not support two 3.5 drives...its supports one, the spec sheet is wrong..the tower supports two 3.5...the usdt supports only a single 2.5.

camlwl

n3wb
Reaction score
That is not correct...the SFF will not support two 3.5 drives...its supports one, the spec sheet is wrong..the tower supports two 3.5...the usdt supports only a single 2.5.
Thanks for the correction, otherwise I would have gone with a SFF as that seems to be the most common variant (besides the mini) on ebay. Ok, gotta keep on looking...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.